The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie D needs to pipe down.

Shirotashi

21 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

It's not that he's calling out Trank to do a little more, it's that there are vets on this team that aren't doing NEARLY enough and he never says sh!t about it.

THAT is what %$#es people off.

WD is so much about "earning" this and that... he won't hesitate to jump on a kid for something, but never ever says one word about a veteran player even if he's coughing up 10 pucks a game costing us wins. (Hello Sedins and Edler)

Say what you want about Tortorella but at least the guy doesn't talk out both sides of his face.

The Sedins and Edler are a combined -50 so far this year. These are our leaders? 

Traymkin is a -4 and only averaging about 1.5 min/game less than the Sedins. 

So I ask the question, who's teaching who here? 

First, Sedin fell on his sword and admitted he's lost games this year.  No need for Willie to pile on. 

Second, Willie hasn't blamed losses on young guys, only said they could play better.  Which is true.  That's what we're all banking on and hoping for isn't it?  It's not about blame - it's about fulfilling your potential.

I feel the the need to repeat that second point: no one has been thrown under the bus.  

Third, Willie also only answers the questions posed to him.  Its not like he's demanding a microphone in his face to get this off his chest.  He's been fair and balanced in his comments about players he's been asked about.  No big surprise that most questions revolve around the young guys.  Nobody wants to read about Alex Edler's game.

Honestly, it sounds like Willie will be gone this offseason.  If it happens it will be due to his special teams and not the way he handles young players.

2 minutes ago, hearditall said:

:sadno: all about the Prospects. 

WD JB both said it was. & all U guys wanted that. So time to show & shine kids... 

It's a team sport. Omitting that fact, while convenient, weakens your already paper thin argument. 

50 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

This stuff makes me wonder what the climate in the dressing room is like. Are players pointing fingers at each other and Willie is trying to deflect this or is he jumping on some bandwagon and joining sides with those doing the finger pointing?

To me it seems like the latter because the team leaders have consistently refused to take personal accountability for poor play by using terms like "us" and "we" instead of saying "me" or "I" for their costly bad play. The only guys talking the talk when it comes to accountability is the young guys and now the coach seems to be throwing them under the bus.

This lends some credence to my suspicion that the twins(their clique?), are currently coaching this mess.

GoodGawd..KAIBOSH this freekenWD train wreck!

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

This lends some credence to my suspicion that the twins(their clique?), are currently coaching this mess.

GoodGawd..KAIBOSH this freekenWD train wreck!

To be honest, I would like to see what WD could do with a team not encumbered by Henrik, Daniel, and Edler. 

26 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

He wanted Tryamkin to fight Marchand ? I despise Marchand but despite the being the rat (ii) that he is , he is a 5'9" superstar player . If you send a 6'7" defenceman after him chances are Willie D. Gets fined or suspended for inciting a brawl.  Since when does he ask any player in 3 years to do such a thing, he's had this team turn the other cheek and bend over and take it any other time. Why the sudden Torterella?

F***'in embarrassing IF he honestly expected that. Thank God Try-man seems sensible enough to reject this *sshole's recommendations!

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Willie is a decent coach. This is the problem. He's done well with the kids, but then says things that open him up to question for a lack of consistency in message. 

But he's not paid to send the message to U nor does he give 2 $#!^$ if u get it or not, All he cares about that it gets thru to his team...

Putting it bluntly, That's the bottom line...

20 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

and so the anti wd vitriol continues

let's take what he said and distort it

and bash him with this and show our hatred

haters will hate

But if the criticism's accurate, your patriotic 'rally' thread is rendered redundant!

btw, 1 more line & you ALMOST tried a limerick! :^)

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

F***'in embarrassing IF he honestly expected that. Thank God Try-man seems sensible enough to reject this *sshole's recommendations!

Simmer down now. Tryamkin is not a God and WD is not what you want to call him. 

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

To be honest, I would like to see what WD could do with a team not encumbered by Henrik, Daniel, and Edler. 

Have NEVER heard him question THEIR back-check, PB. His inconsistency there is lamentable. We cannot measure/know how much such favourtism could exacerbate, & widen rifts between players/groups that form over seasons.

4 minutes ago, hearditall said:

But he's not paid to send the message to U nor does he give 2 $#!^$ if u get it or not, All he cares about that it gets thru to his team...

Putting it bluntly, That's the bottom line...

If you had a clue, what you say might mean something.

54 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

And, to be fair to even Botchford (even though he's been tweeting / headlining this a lot) if you read his column he's quite neutral.

"What Desjardins is really trying to do is extract what many here want, more edge and meanness out of Tryamkin, the 6-7 Friendly Giant oozing with potential.

Desjardins has been trying to get more of that from him behind the scenes for most of the season. With the media this week, he isn’t sending a message, he’s just being honest, and seemingly unburdened."

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/jason-botchford-desjardins-removes-filter-on-tryamkins-potential-canucks-kids

Sounds to me like the guys in the white coats are on their way for our Willie.

Good coaches don't use the media to call  players out. They do it one on one with the player or they let "the room" take care of it.

Selectively calling out only certain players publicly, when it's really obvious that other players get a pass, only riles up the geniuses among the fan base who pay the bills by going to games, buying merchandise, watching games on tv etc.

Willie is compromising the brand by doing this. 

If he has to publicly send messages to fan favourites like Tram, then he is admitting his own failures.

Hoping to get fired sooner than later so that he can land another job.

I think Willie's time here is close to an end.Last year or should I say end of last season he wanted more vets as he said it is to hard to play in the NHL with youth, yet here we are and that is what he has and yet he doesn't teach well but instead gets frustrated.I just hope the owners take note and replace as WD is only going to hurt this team as he is not the man to teach our youth.

Archived