The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie D needs to pipe down.

Shirotashi

23 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah, I hear you.  

I also understand why people get bothered when young guys get flack in the media and the vets don't get any.  Again, part of it is that the Sedins went public and admitted they've lost games.  That's no small comment when they're the best all-around Canucks of all time. They're fading, though - calling them out might appease some fans but it isn't going to make them better.  I truly believe, like Burrows, they want what's best for this franchise.  To that end, I don't think it's necessary. I hope the young guys can appreciate that if they hit  anywhere near "Sedin" status they'll be afforded a bit of respect in the same manner as well.

I'm not as sure where Edler stands on all of that.

...and yes, I've coached and I'm not a fan of the public call out.  I think Willie tripped up on the comment - if he said "if Nikita does what he does to Benn more often, we'll win some games" it's a great line.  To connect it to a loss is awkward and invites this criticism.  

But more than anything I think honest intentions can be accepted.  Willie wants to win.  Tryamkin wants to win.  It's Willie's job to push... I think if Willie circles back and gives Nik a pat on the back before next game it's all good.

To clarify I'd be mad if he went on to bench him or if this was a habit in speaking loosely about a particular player.  

I also expect Tryamkin to have himself a game tomorrow night. 

Where is the quote of the Sedins saying they lost games?

4 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

He seemed to compliment Tryamkin and then offer constructive criticism regarding the rookie's game. They are professional athletes...they don't need to be treated with kid gloves. WD may lose his job but I think people are making way too much about these comments.

Its de-constructive ..  like a disease.

Negativity pulls like gravity,. Down.

The kid (21years?) new to this country, and This League of Hockey, a rookie.. just threw down with Jamie Benn after making him air bourne for the second time this season.. Earlier on shut down an offensive break out along his side of the boards and turned it into a beauty of a scoring opportunity for himself,. That in itself being the play on the Sven goal.

The media has more to compliment on that what Desjardins can even remember happening.

Tryamkin has the most "Hits" on this team and is roughly 60th in the entire NHL.. and this from a rookie throwing his heart out.

How about he get under Eriksson's ass? Or Edler's and Tanev's stuipidity as vets.

3 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

Right??? How can he think that this is a good move? To put the loss to Boston on his shoulders is pretty cray.

To be honest , everything he has done with the young guys has worked (aside from virtanen). We roast him , but what he is doing is working. 

Maybe he doesnt want tram to get complacent and think he has arrived. Just maybe he knows his players and knows what to say to drive them to be better.   

He has taken this approach with most if the young guys , and they just all happen to be developing very well.  

12 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Where is the quote of the Sedins saying they lost games?

“I feel like we should have produced more than we have this year, that’s for sure,” Henrik revealed. “A lot of games it felt really good, we just weren’t able to put the puck in the net. The power play is a huge part of that. It hasn’t been working.

“It’s a year where we have felt we have cost us games and that hasn’t happened before. That’s something we have to get back next year. We have to be better.”

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/jason-botchford-blame-vets-for-leading-canucks-to-forgettable-season

10 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Heading out the door. No precious wknd time will be wasted with that w*nker's presser.

Soon he'll be yesterday's news..irrespective as to how any of us feel.

I agree on the second part, but I'll still defend the new coach's decision to speak his mind so long as it's a fair comment.

2 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I still maintain my belief that he has a few marbles loose upstairs. 

I think it's that he gets too stuck in his initial impression of players (good or bad) and it takes a long time and a lot of contradictory evidence to shake him off that assessment. He seems to play guys with a self-fulfilling prophecy approach. Namely that he believes they can or cannot do the job and keeps playing or not playing them in those roles until they prove him right.

He is very stubborn that way and I think it hurts our team results sometimes. 

He has his strengths but this weakness seens to overtake every area of his coaching.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think it's that he gets too stuck in his initial impression of players (good or bad) and it takes a long time and a lot of contradictory evidence to shake him off that assessment. He seems to play guys with a self-fulfilling prophecy approach. Namely that he believes they can or cannot do the job and keeps playing or not playing them in those roles until they prove him right.

He is very stubborn that way and I think it hurts our team results sometimes. 

He has his strengths but this weakness seens to overtake every area of his coaching.

Crazy either way. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, J-23 said:

A lot of people said that fight was terrible, but I swear Tram could have given Benn a couple of good shots but it looked like he chose not to. I think Tram doesn't want to injure people like the Richardson incident, he hasn't always had a physical game and he is continuing to adjust to a physical game throughout the season. Like I said before Tram ain't no Cooke or Torres the man has a heart.

Totally agree, in fact during that fight I kept saying why isn't Tryamkin laying bombs!! He had a couple of moments where he could have landed serious blows

How dare you people the man is going to get us a good draft choice you just leave Mr Desjardins alone he is not a great coach sure but he is doing his damnedest to be last now you just pipe down. Give credit where credit is due the man is rich richer than he could ever dream of and really didn't have to do very much.

3 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

Yeah I agree 100%. Sounds like people are making a mountain out of a molehill with this comment. WD even said within the same statement that "He has lots of upside, in lots of different ways. It doesn't matter upside, if you can't get to it... I am not blaming Tryamkin at all, like zero. What you need is that every night. And that's a challenge." To me it sounds like he has struggled to get him to play a consistent game, which is obviously a thing most rookies have to develop into. This "if he had done that on Monday versus Boston" is no "whopper" like Sekeres is trying to make it out to be. Tryamkin playing a big game like that every night is what everyone wants him to do. I wouldn't get all huffy about WD being honest about it. 

That's just taking a glass is half full approach. I want to be optimistic but its too raw right now. WD does need to spread criticism around a little. He said we would not have lost to Boston if Tryamkin had of played Marchand the way he played Benn. Ok Willie sure, why didn't you tell him that mid game tho? Your seeing him NOT go  after Marchand and you just sit on it? Arent you supposed to be coaching?

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

To be honest , everything he has done with the young guys has worked (aside from virtanen). We roast him , but what he is doing is working. 

Maybe he doesnt want tram to get complacent and think he has arrived. Just maybe he knows his players and knows what to say to drive them to be better.   

He has taken this approach with most if the young guys , and they just all happen to be developing very well.  

I agree bro I don't want to see him go. But like the title of my post says he needs to keep down right now. Its too hot to be saying loaded stuff like that.

14 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

That's just taking a glass is half full approach. I want to be optimistic but its too raw right now. WD does need to spread criticism around a little. He said we would not have lost to Boston if Tryamkin had of played Marchand the way he played Benn. Ok Willie sure, why didn't you tell him that mid game tho? Your seeing him NOT go  after Marchand and you just sit on it? Arent you supposed to be coaching?

well. that's the problem, right? Willie by all accounts is a "good teacher" 

but that doesn't mean he's a good in-game strategist. and we need both to be honest. if we have a good teacher, but a poor in-game strategist, then we just lose (like how we've been doing recently). if we have a good in-game strategist, at the expense of a good teacher, we may win more games, but our youth may not be developed as well at the NHL level. 

i'm curious to see if Gerard Gallant would be available for hire. he worked with Florida and they had a ton of youths on their team, seemed to be able to get them to play the right way, and grow the kids as well. 

7 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Hasn't everyone come to realization that MAYBE Willie just hates Marchand as much as the rest of us?! Its not about Tryamkin at all really... 

tumblr_m1t21lsbFq1qjrxbg.gif

oh. it hurts to have seen the guy who lifted Lord Stanley in Rogers Arena, be so good now. 

and the Canucks on the opposite end of it all. Lose the championship in 2011, and then continue to lose momentum. 

Archived