The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Save your assets, pick Makar.

Cale Makar is the best defensive prospect in this upcoming draft. If all goes well for Brooks in the AJHL playoffs, which I assume it will, Makar's stock will rise and I think could easily overtake liljegren as the top d man heading into the draft. According to Craig Button, he has characteristics that remind him so much of erik karlsson. Button also said in his interview with 1040 that its not so much that liljegren has slipped but more that Makar is just that good. I've seen this kid play and talked to people who have played with him and against him and he is that good. Better than Fabbro and Chilowski last year. More dynamic, not on as good of a team, he is by many standards phenomenal. 

The thing I like the most about Makar, especially over liljegren, is his recent development. Liljegren has been the top ranked d man in this draft for a long time, which is why I believe he still owns the top spot in most mock drafts. However, according to several scouts including Button Makar has an amazing about of upside and has all the skills to be a dynamic #1 defensemen who can dominate the PP, which is exactly what Benning is looking for. 

If the Canucks end up picking outside the top 2 or 3 I would urge them to take Makar and really don't think it would be a stretch for them to do so at all.

This kid is the real deal. Just wait for Buttons draft rankings coming out monday, I have a feeling he will have Makar ahead of Liljegren on that list.

The defencemen have moved up and down the mock drafts all year long which is a sign that there's not going to be a true obvious future star defenceman. There may be a late one who emerges later but there's certainly no Hedman/Ekblad in this draft, which means anyone's pick is as good as anyone's else and IMO development of the defensive prospects in this draft will be more important than where they're picked.

Some have Valimaki as the highest rated D-man at a point per game in the WHL, 

Liljegren was a potential top-3 pick but got mono and I think he's going to be the next Cam Fowler/Chychrun who drops nowhere near as far down as he should. This guy has potential star rating all over him but is a risky pick. Some have said he struggles defensively which is a scare.

Makar has risen in the ranks lately but I'm not 100% sold on him just yet. I think he's a riskier pick than Liljegren but does have potential star quality. Similar to Stecher but better.

Those 3 guys (Foote as well to an extent) will likely be thrown all over the top-15 picks depending on team needs more than anything else. There's a lot of good centers in this upcoming draft and the Canucks desperately need one of them. I hope we either trade up to snag a Hirschier/Nolan-type player or snag one of Liljegren or Makar with wherever they sit and trade a defenceman for a young center. We can fill both our big needs in one draft (top-6 center to complement Horvat and PPQB D-man to complement Juolevi).

Nah, rather have this guy for free!

C Victor Ejdsell — BIK Karlskoga, Allsvenskan

In an attempt to rebuild the offensive core, the Canucks added Nikolay Goldobin and Jonathan Dahlen at the trade deadline. The latter has been a standout player in the Allsvenskan, Sweden’s second-tier league, but he is not the only one.

Undrafted forward Victor Ejdsell made his SHL debut in 2014-15 but failed to establish himself there. Because of that, the 21-year-old moved to BIK Karlskoga for the 2016-17 campaign and had a true breakout year. Ejdsell won the league scoring title with 25 goals and 57 points in 50 games.

What stands out the most about Ejdsell is probably his size. At 6-foot-5 and 214 pounds, he has an excellent frame. But most importantly, he has the skating ability to move around well, along with terrific puck skills and a nose for the net.

Ejdsell’s size alone probably has NHL scouts excited. If he can translate his scoring to the North American game, he could become a great player within the next few years.

You never know how well scoring translates from second-tier leagues in Europe to the NHL or even the AHL, but it’s certainly worth a shot when you are rebuilding and can get a player like Ejdsell without losing assets.

6 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Vilardi's speed leaves much to be desired. Makar's highlights show that he makes a lot of risky pinches. I still think that there's only 2 sure-fire prospects in this draft: Patrick and Hischier. Outside of those 2, we should try trading the pick.

We need more risk taking guys, we are already stock full of defensive dmen 

2 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Nah, rather have this guy for free!

C Victor Ejdsell — BIK Karlskoga, Allsvenskan

In an attempt to rebuild the offensive core, the Canucks added Nikolay Goldobin and Jonathan Dahlen at the trade deadline. The latter has been a standout player in the Allsvenskan, Sweden’s second-tier league, but he is not the only one.

Undrafted forward Victor Ejdsell made his SHL debut in 2014-15 but failed to establish himself there. Because of that, the 21-year-old moved to BIK Karlskoga for the 2016-17 campaign and had a true breakout year. Ejdsell won the league scoring title with 25 goals and 57 points in 50 games.

What stands out the most about Ejdsell is probably his size. At 6-foot-5 and 214 pounds, he has an excellent frame. But most importantly, he has the skating ability to move around well, along with terrific puck skills and a nose for the net.

Ejdsell’s size alone probably has NHL scouts excited. If he can translate his scoring to the North American game, he could become a great player within the next few years.

You never know how well scoring translates from second-tier leagues in Europe to the NHL or even the AHL, but it’s certainly worth a shot when you are rebuilding and can get a player like Ejdsell without losing assets.

Ejdsell, sure he's not a lemon? 

11 hours ago, Threadsetter1 said:

Cale Makar is the best defensive prospect in this upcoming draft. If all goes well for Brooks in the AJHL playoffs, which I assume it will, Makar's stock will rise and I think could easily overtake liljegren as the top d man heading into the draft. According to Craig Button, he has characteristics that remind him so much of erik karlsson. Button also said in his interview with 1040 that its not so much that liljegren has slipped but more that Makar is just that good. I've seen this kid play and talked to people who have played with him and against him and he is that good. Better than Fabbro and Chilowski last year. More dynamic, not on as good of a team, he is by many standards phenomenal. 

The thing I like the most about Makar, especially over liljegren, is his recent development. Liljegren has been the top ranked d man in this draft for a long time, which is why I believe he still owns the top spot in most mock drafts. However, according to several scouts including Button Makar has an amazing about of upside and has all the skills to be a dynamic #1 defensemen who can dominate the PP, which is exactly what Benning is looking for. 

If the Canucks end up picking outside the top 2 or 3 I would urge them to take Makar and really don't think it would be a stretch for them to do so at all.

This kid is the real deal. Just wait for Buttons draft rankings coming out monday, I have a feeling he will have Makar ahead of Liljegren on that list.

I agree but I just couldn't help but to point out the irony of that statement: "comparing Erik Karlsson to a "Defensive" prospect"...Karlsson is basically the 4th forward out there...

23 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

Yes.

OK cool.  I am spoiled watching the Penticton Vees play regularly and their organization is churning out some pretty solid hockey players over the last 7 years including two players picked in the top 15 last year

20 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

I agree but I just couldn't help but to point out the irony of that statement: "comparing Erik Karlsson to a "Defensive" prospect"...Karlsson is basically the 4th forward out there...

The knock against Karlsson is his "defensive play" but year in and out over the last 4 years he's shown himself to be a better actual defender than such players as Subban and Doughty including shot blocks, shot suppression and zone entries as well as a solid number of takeaways.  I'd kill for a defenseman like him.

2 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

We should draft the BPA.  If we are picking in the top 10 than Makar is not that player (maybe at 10th).

You are gonna start seeing a lot of mock drafts where Makar is in the 5 range. Button just said he thinks he's better than Liljigren. Makar is rising and judging by that highlight package its pretty easy to see why. 

11 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

You are gonna start seeing a lot of mock drafts where Makar is in the 5 range. Button just said he thinks he's better than Liljigren. Makar is rising and judging by that highlight package its pretty easy to see why. 

He's far too small, he plays a lot like Subban and is only an inch taller.  There hasn't been a D player under 6'0" drafted in the top 5 in the last 20+ years.  Good for him for putting the bandits on the map.

39 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He's far too small, he plays a lot like Subban and is only an inch taller.  There hasn't been a D player under 6'0" drafted in the top 5 in the last 20+ years.  Good for him for putting the bandits on the map.

Hey me personally I think Liljigren is still the top ranked dman but I wouldn't be surprised to see Makar selected in the 5,6, or 7 range. With 5 being the absolute highest he'd go.

Here's a little write up on him from Oilers Nation: https://oilersnation.com/2017/01/27/how-good-is-cale-makar/  So lots to like, some concern about size but thats what Guddy and Tryamkin are for. 

Whether its this guy or Liljegren I really do like the idea of picking D. My preference tho is Liljegren, because of size and some scouts are comparing his game to Doughty: http://thehockeywriters.com/timothy-liljegren-similar-to-drew-doughty/

If get lucky and land 3 I hope JB picks up Liljegren over Makar, because as a Euro player we can put him in Utica as an 18 year old, unlike Makar due to the stupid CHL/AHL rules, and develop him properly in Utica before bringing him up. 

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

OK cool.  I am spoiled watching the Penticton Vees play regularly and their organization is churning out some pretty solid hockey players over the last 7 years including two players picked in the top 15 last year

The knock against Karlsson is his "defensive play" but year in and out over the last 4 years he's shown himself to be a better actual defender than such players as Subban and Doughty including shot blocks, shot suppression and zone entries as well as a solid number of takeaways.  I'd kill for a defenseman like him.

Hear Hear!

Archived