The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Save your assets, pick Makar.

8 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Here's a little write up on him from Oilers Nation: https://oilersnation.com/2017/01/27/how-good-is-cale-makar/  So lots to like, some concern about size but thats what Guddy and Tryamkin are for. 

Whether its this guy or Liljegren I really do like the idea of picking D. My preference tho is Liljegren, because of size and some scouts are comparing his game to Doughty: http://thehockeywriters.com/timothy-liljegren-similar-to-drew-doughty/

If get lucky and land 3 I hope JB picks up Liljegren over Makar, because as a Euro player we can put him in Utica as an 18 year old, unlike Makar due to the stupid CHL/AHL rules, and develop him properly in Utica before bringing him up. 

I agree, but the CHL/AHL rules don't apply to Makar as the AJHL is actually not part of the CHL. I like Liljegren's smooth game too to be honest, would look great next to Juolevi. 

10 hours ago, suitup said:

I agree, but the CHL/AHL rules don't apply to Makar as the AJHL is actually not part of the CHL. I like Liljegren's smooth game too to be honest, would look great next to Juolevi. 

Oh! I just assumed it was. Thanks for clarifying. 

On 2017-03-18 at 9:13 AM, Warhippy said:

Just clue me in

Is the league Makar plays in the Alberta equivalent of the BCJHL???

BCHL is a better league with more school commitments, more skilletc. which is why he isnt ranked higher acoording to some scouts. He could have played in the WHL but wanted to take the college route as more and more kids are doing nowadays ie. Jost, Fabbro, Cholowski etc.

That being said the team he plays for (Brooks) is one of the top teams in Canada year in year out. 

On 2017-03-18 at 10:15 AM, ABNuck said:

I agree but I just couldn't help but to point out the irony of that statement: "comparing Erik Karlsson to a "Defensive" prospect"...Karlsson is basically the 4th forward out there...

Erik Karlsson is the best defenseman in the NHL, stats prove it, both Offensively and defensively. If I'm not mistaken he does lead the league in blocked shots. Also, he puts a very average Ottawa team on his back night in and night out and is the main reason they are doing so well this year.

On 2017-03-18 at 1:50 PM, S'all Good Man said:

Here's a little write up on him from Oilers Nation: https://oilersnation.com/2017/01/27/how-good-is-cale-makar/  So lots to like, some concern about size but thats what Guddy and Tryamkin are for. 

Whether its this guy or Liljegren I really do like the idea of picking D. My preference tho is Liljegren, because of size and some scouts are comparing his game to Doughty: http://thehockeywriters.com/timothy-liljegren-similar-to-drew-doughty/

If get lucky and land 3 I hope JB picks up Liljegren over Makar, because as a Euro player we can put him in Utica as an 18 year old, unlike Makar due to the stupid CHL/AHL rules, and develop him properly in Utica before bringing him up. 

Makar is going to College next year, going to be developed at a top program, better than the CHL, and therefor those rules don't apply to him considering he never played in the CHL, which would make him uneligible for college.

2 minutes ago, Threadsetter1 said:

Erik Karlsson is the best defenseman in the NHL, stats prove it, both Offensively and defensively. If I'm not mistaken he does lead the league in blocked shots. Also, he puts a very average Ottawa team on his back night in and night out and is the main reason they are doing so well this year.

Love Karlsson.  It sickens me that we could have drafted him:(

8 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Makar's stats are being padded by the team he's on. Unrealistic to think that a guy in the AJHL is better than Lijegren. 

People need to look past the league he is in. If he was in the BCHL or USHL I doubt people would be saying this. It's not that Makar isn't good enough to play in the CHL because he clearly is and would put up great numbers still, but he chose to go a different route for development purposes. The same route as Boeser, Gaudette, Stetcher, Toews, Parise etc.

6 minutes ago, Threadsetter1 said:

People need to look past the league he is in. If he was in the BCHL or USHL I doubt people would be saying this. It's not that Makar isn't good enough to play in the CHL because he clearly is and would put up great numbers still, but he chose to go a different route for development purposes. The same route as Boeser, Gaudette, Stetcher, Toews, Parise etc.

There have been no elite players drafted directly from the AJHL. Parayko may be become that but he's got a lot of size and strength in comparison to Makar. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Love Karlsson.  It sickens me that we could have drafted him:(

But we got Cody and that's something right????

Well, maybe not. Goes to show though that trying to stretch and find that all elusive top centerman instead of bpa comes back to bite you.

4 hours ago, Threadsetter1 said:

Makar is going to College next year, going to be developed at a top program, better than the CHL, and therefor those rules don't apply to him considering he never played in the CHL, which would make him uneligible for college.

Didn't know that- thanks. All the more reason to pick Liljegren. 

On March 17, 2017 at 10:47 PM, Threadsetter1 said:

Cale Makar is the best defensive prospect in this upcoming draft. If all goes well for Brooks in the AJHL playoffs, which I assume it will, Makar's stock will rise and I think could easily overtake liljegren as the top d man heading into the draft. According to Craig Button, he has characteristics that remind him so much of erik karlsson. Button also said in his interview with 1040 that its not so much that liljegren has slipped but more that Makar is just that good. I've seen this kid play and talked to people who have played with him and against him and he is that good. Better than Fabbro and Chilowski last year. More dynamic, not on as good of a team, he is by many standards phenomenal. 

The thing I like the most about Makar, especially over liljegren, is his recent development. Liljegren has been the top ranked d man in this draft for a long time, which is why I believe he still owns the top spot in most mock drafts. However, according to several scouts including Button Makar has an amazing about of upside and has all the skills to be a dynamic #1 defensemen who can dominate the PP, which is exactly what Benning is looking for. 

If the Canucks end up picking outside the top 2 or 3 I would urge them to take Makar and really don't think it would be a stretch for them to do so at all.

This kid is the real deal. Just wait for Buttons draft rankings coming out monday, I have a feeling he will have Makar ahead of Liljegren on that list.

I agree he is a special player and is way under valued. He should be picked in the 3-5th spot

On 2017-03-17 at 10:47 PM, Threadsetter1 said:

Cale Makar is the best defensive prospect in this upcoming draft. If all goes well for Brooks in the AJHL playoffs, which I assume it will, Makar's stock will rise and I think could easily overtake liljegren as the top d man heading into the draft.

As for best defensive prospect in the upcoming draft you could not be inaccurate with that statement. I'm not going to get personal here but this years draft boost some high d-man prospects. Forgetting about Liljegren, Cal Foote has very similar play style with one key difference Makar plays his size a 5 foot 10 small d-man who backs away from contact. If you meant best 'defensive' d-man prospect, I don't see Cale Makar a Defensive d-man. I see him more of a puck moving d-man.

In this draft if we have the opertunity to draft a D-Man again, I would look at Cal Foot before Cale Makar.

My personal Ranking

Liljgren R 6'0

Foote R 6'3

Hague L 6'6

Makar R 5'10

Button also said in his interview with 1040 that its not so much that liljegren has slipped but more that Makar is just that good. I've seen this kid play and talked to people who have played with him and against him and he is that good. Better than Fabbro and Chilowski last year. More dynamic, not on as good of a team, he is by many standards phenomenal. 

Saying he is not on as good of a team just shows the lack of knowledge or even research that went in to making this post. Brooks went 51-5-4 this year putting them at the top of the AJHL. And finishing ranked number 1st in CJHL rankinings.

Last year Fabbro's Vee's finished the year ranked 2nd

and Chilowski Chief's finished ranked 15th

If the Canucks end up picking outside the top 2 or 3 I would urge them to take Makar and really don't think it would be a stretch for them to do so at all.

This kid is the real deal. Just wait for Buttons draft rankings coming out monday, I have a feeling he will have Makar ahead of Liljegren on that list.

I look forward to seeing the list myself. Look for Foote to be ahead of Makar.

21 hours ago, ChampStatus said:

Saying he is not on as good of a team just shows the lack of knowledge or even research that went in to making this post. Brooks went 51-5-4 this year putting them at the top of the AJHL. And finishing ranked number 1st in CJHL rankinings.

Brooks is a great team, in a weaker league than Jost and Fabbro's Vees and the Chilliwack Chiefs, but still a great team. I did state in one of my replies that he is on a great team in the AJHL and surrounded by great players. As for lack of knowledge and research, I can understand how you may think that, however I'm quite familiar with the AJHL and BCHL as I play in the BCHL and played directly against Fabbro, Jost, Cholowski etc. and I can honestly tell you Makar is just as good as fabbro, if not better. Thats from a players perspective. Scouts may tell you different, but I stand by that opinion.

I look forward to seeing the list myself. Look for Foote to be ahead of Makar.

No way Foote is ahead of Makar. Foote is overrated and inflated through his last name. Consensus around WHL from a players perspective is the same.

On 2017-03-19 at 3:03 PM, TheHitman said:

There have been no elite players drafted directly from the AJHL. Parayko may be become that but he's got a lot of size and strength in comparison to Makar. 

Yes, however there have been elite players drafted from the BCHL and they are very similar leagues. This is a great time for the CJHL look for a lot of top prospects to come out of the BCHL and AJHL in the future. May I remind you that the BCHL had more players taken in the top 20 of last years draft (3) than the WHL (1). BCHL is very comparable to USHL for those who aren't familiar, same goes for the top teams in the AJHL.

On 2017-03-19 at 3:03 PM, TheHitman said:

Just need to add how false that statement is, several elite players have come from the AJHL and if you won't give them elite status then you have to consider them at one time or another, very good.

Mark Messier, Spruce Grove

Dany Heatley, Calgary Canucks

Wade Redden, Lloydminster

Chris Phillips, St. Albert

Mike Vernon, Calgary Canucks

Just to name a few.

On 2017-03-19 at 2:40 PM, Threadsetter1 said:

BCHL is a better league with more school commitments, more skilletc. which is why he isnt ranked higher acoording to some scouts. He could have played in the WHL but wanted to take the college route as more and more kids are doing nowadays ie. Jost, Fabbro, Cholowski etc.

That being said the team he plays for (Brooks) is one of the top teams in Canada year in year out. 

Believe I did state he was on one of the best teams in Canada, so idk where you got that argument from.

Archived