The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Save your assets, pick Makar.

1 minute ago, Threadsetter1 said:

Wade Redden, Lloydminster

Lived in Lloydminster but he played in the WHL for Brandon.

2 minutes ago, Threadsetter1 said:

Chris Phillips, St. Albert

Played In the WHL for PA

3 minutes ago, Threadsetter1 said:

Mike Vernon, Calgary Canucks

Also played in the WHL...

Please do better research

9 minutes ago, Threadsetter1 said:

Just need to add how false that statement is, several elite players have come from the AJHL and if you won't give them elite status then you have to consider them at one time or another, very good.

Mark Messier, Spruce Grove

Dany Heatley, Calgary Canucks

Just to name a few.

Add Lanny McDonald

Mason Raymond

Mark Letestu

Curtis Glencross

Mike Comrie

Mike Commodor

The problem with the list of players coming from the AJHL.

1 hour ago, Threadsetter1 said:

You said never came out of the AJHL, its a technicality, but i am still right.

1 hour ago, Threadsetter1 said:

Just need to add how false that statement is, several elite players have come from the AJHL and if you won't give them elite status then you have to consider them at one time or another, very good.

Just to name a few.

Thats like saying the OJHL is responsible for players like

Bo Horvat. Playing 5 games there.

Or Mitch Marner playing 6 games there...

Or John Tavares

Or the BCHL for Carey Price.

Ryan Johansen.

Just to name a few players that had small carriers playing CJHL hockey bot moved on to the CHL.

There development was not credited to the OJHL or BCHL but yet to the OHL/WHL teams they played for.

So no the AJHL was not responsible for Redden, Philips or Vernon just a small stop on the way to the next level.

37 minutes ago, ChampStatus said:

Thats like saying the OJHL is responsible for players like

Bo Horvat. Playing 5 games there.

Or Mitch Marner playing 6 games there...

Or John Tavares

Or the BCHL for Carey Price.

Ryan Johansen.

Just to name a few players that had small carriers playing CJHL hockey bot moved on to the CHL.

There development was not credited to the OJHL or BCHL but yet to the OHL/WHL teams they played for.

So no the AJHL was not responsible for Redden, Philips or Vernon just a small stop on the way to the next level.

I see your point, its just small minded of you to think that just because Makar comes out of the AJHL, he won't become an elite prospect. No matter what path he took to get to the NHL doesn't mean he can't turn into an elite hockey player.

Regarding the Brooks vs Liljegren's team topic...

Last year the Penticton Vees played Red Bull Salzburg U20 and pumped them 6-1. This is a comparable team to Brogle BK U20 that Liljegren played on for roughly half of this season. And considering Brooks is ranked #1 in the country again this year, I think it's safe to say that their calibre would equal that of Penticton last year. Therefore if you line these teams up against one another, I don't think there is much of a discrepancy at all in the level that they are playing at.

On top of this Makar will be going to a top college program next year, which, based on prospects like Boeser and Gaudette (and high end d men like Tanev) will be substantially beneficial to his development. All I'm saying is there is nothing wrong with an alternative route from the CHL, especially as an undersized puck moving defenseman. And that you really shouldn't judge a program or make blanket uninformed statements unless you really know what you are talking about. It just seems a bit arrogant. 

18 hours ago, Threadsetter1 said:

Just to name a few.

You can find elite players from any league if you look back far enough. Who has there been in the last 5ish years?

I know the scouts really like this guy but it is very hard to gauge how an undersized defenseman playing on  high scoring junior team stacks up with some of the other players. He seems too high risk/high reward to be worth gambling on.

Makar is at least a couple years away from the NHL so I hope the Canucks look to drafting a centreman.

Ill be really happy with any of Hischier, Patrick, Vilardi. Liljegren, Makar, Mittelstadt

Secondary group would include Necas, Pettersson, Glass

So hopefully we end up with a top 6 pick

Unfortunately my gut says we'll be picking 7th...

Two thoughts.....Yes Only two!

When I seen Buttons list this morning, the first thing I did was get out last years final list he did and compare that to the actual draft from last year......he was pretty close on most.....I didn't go back and see how his other final list have done, but he was by and large pretty close last year. Personally, he did better than some of the GM's around the NHL. ( he did very well in the top 20 picks) after that, it gets to be a preference choice, instead of a BPA......(I think)????

On another item, how did Maker do at the prospects game, and has he played any international games for Canada? Is there a pre-draft Tournament yet to come? I am not very up to date on these type of things.......I hope there is!

19 hours ago, Threadsetter1 said:

just simply proving another thing you said that was blatantly wrong and the proof behind it

I think Having a different opinion on a players ranking does not make me 'Blatantly Wrong'.

I stand behind my statement. I like Cal Foot and Nicolas Hague over Cale Makar.

I am still trying to find in your post about How the Brooks Bandits who are ranked 1st in the CJHL are not on as "not on as good of a team" vs Fabbs and Chilowski. That is 'Blatantly Wrong'.

2015-2016 Chiefs 15th

2015-2016 Vee's 2nd

2016-2017 Bandits 1st

I'm disagree with some of Buttons draft list.  But this was his 2016 Draft List vs The Draft. Button is very knowledgeable but just because he ranks some one does not mean they will go there or anywhere close to that.

1) Auston Matthews (1st)

2) Patrik Laine (2nd)

3) Jesse Puljujarvi (4th)

4) Pierre-Luc Dubois (3ed)

5) Matthew Tkachuk (6th)

6) Clayton Keller (7th)

7)Logan Brown (11th)

8) Mikhail Segachev (9th)

9) Olli Juolevi (5th)

10) Alexander Nylander (8th)

11) Tyson Jost (10th)

12) Jake Bean (13th)

13) Kieffer Bellows (19th)

14)German Rubtsov (22nd)

15) Charlie McAvoy (14th)

16) Dante Fabbro (17th)

17) Jakob Chychrun (16th)

18)Brett Howden (27th)

19)Michael McLeod (12th)

20) Luke Kunin (15th)

21) Alex Debrincat (39th)

22)Cam Dineen (68th)

23) Vitali Abramov (65th)

24)Carter Hart (48th)

25) Dennis Cholowski (20th)

26) Will Bitten (70th)

27) Samuel Girard (47th)

28) Dilon Dube (56th)

29) Jordan Kyrou (35th)

30) Logan Stanley (18th)

I like Cal Foot, You like Cale Makar.

2 hours ago, ChampStatus said:

I think Having a different opinion on a players ranking does not make me 'Blatantly Wrong'.

I stand behind my statement. I like Cal Foot and Nicolas Hague over Cale Makar.

I am still trying to find in your post about How the Brooks Bandits who are ranked 1st in the CJHL are not on as "not on as good of a team" vs Fabbs and Chilowski. That is 'Blatantly Wrong'.

2015-2016 Chiefs 15th

2015-2016 Vee's 2nd

2016-2017 Bandits 1st

I'm disagree with some of Buttons draft list.  But this was his 2016 Draft List vs The Draft. Button is very knowledgeable but just because he ranks some one does not mean they will go there or anywhere close to that.

1) Auston Matthews (1st)

2) Patrik Laine (2nd)

3) Jesse Puljujarvi (4th)

4) Pierre-Luc Dubois (3ed)

5) Matthew Tkachuk (6th)

6) Clayton Keller (7th)

7)Logan Brown (11th)

8) Mikhail Segachev (9th)

9) Olli Juolevi (5th)

10) Alexander Nylander (8th)

11) Tyson Jost (10th)

12) Jake Bean (13th)

13) Kieffer Bellows (19th)

14)German Rubtsov (22nd)

15) Charlie McAvoy (14th)

16) Dante Fabbro (17th)

17) Jakob Chychrun (16th)

18)Brett Howden (27th)

19)Michael McLeod (12th)

20) Luke Kunin (15th)

21) Alex Debrincat (39th)

22)Cam Dineen (68th)

23) Vitali Abramov (65th)

24)Carter Hart (48th)

25) Dennis Cholowski (20th)

26) Will Bitten (70th)

27) Samuel Girard (47th)

28) Dilon Dube (56th)

29) Jordan Kyrou (35th)

30) Logan Stanley (18th)

I like Cal Foot, You like Cale Makar.

Find the Quote, Ill stand by what I said if I said that. 

The BCHL is a better league than the AJHL so Brooks record was a little inflated due to the fact that they were in a worse league. That gave them a better record and lead to their number one ranking. Especially last year.

As for Chilliwack they are always a good team in the BCHL but I dont believe they are a better team than Brooks, however there is a good chance we will find out for sure as they will meet in the RBC cup most likely this May. Chilliwack recently knocked off Wenatchee , who was a top 3 rated team in the CJHL this year. Rankings really dont mean a whole lot. You but a good BCHL team up against a good AJHL or SJHL team and the BCHL team wins at least 7/10 times.

Ur lack of knowledge of the CJHL is classic for a small minded hockey fan like yourself.

On 2017-03-17 at 10:47 PM, Threadsetter1 said:

Button also said in his interview with 1040 that its not so much that liljegren has slipped but more that Makar is just that good. I've seen this kid play and talked to people who have played with him and against him and he is that good. Better than Fabbro and Chilowski last year. More dynamic, not on as good of a team, he is by many standards phenomenal. 

Please let me know if I am taking this out of context. But the way I read this. Your stating that: Makar is a better player then Fabbro and Chilowski. He is more dynamic and is not on as good of a team as Vees or Chiefs.

He may as well be better then Fabbro and Chilowski. That is up for interpretation in a few years. 

16 hours ago, Threadsetter1 said:

As for Chilliwack they are always a good team in the BCHL but I dont believe they are a better team than Brooks, however there is a good chance we will find out for sure as they will meet in the RBC cup most likely this May. Chilliwack recently knocked off Wenatchee , who was a top 3 rated team in the CJHL this year. Rankings really dont mean a whole lot. You but a good BCHL team up against a good AJHL or SJHL team and the BCHL team wins at least 7/10 times.

Thinking that the BCHL would win 7 out of 10 times. You would think that in the last 10 years they would have at lest won the RBC Cup more then 5 Times,  but yet they have only won the RBC cup 4 out of the last 10 times. They have won the RBC more then any other league in that time but that is not showing the dominance that you are talking about.

But to get on the Topic of Makar.

He is a good player. He won the Roland Mercier Trophy last year as a 17 year old. Which is truly remarkable.

But in the 41 years that trophy has been around the last person to win it and do something with his carrier, Jeff Tambellini 2002 and Rob Brind'Amour 1988.

You would think that the MVP of the RBC cup would produce more talented players but you get players on that list like: Craig Olynick and Kyle Bigos.

Just because he is a high prospect and wins Trophy's does not mean anything.

16 hours ago, Threadsetter1 said:

Ur lack of knowledge of the CJHL is classic for a small minded hockey fan like yourself.

Thanks! Means a lot coming from a Hockey God like yourself!

I would like Canucks mgmt. to draft either Makar or Liljegren because defensemen take longer to develop than forwards.

I have heard about how teams build their team from the goalie out. Goalies also take longer to develop than forwards and they seem very optimistic about Demko.

Add Juolevi and Makar/Liljegren and their defense will be rock solid.

With the two blue chip defense in the system, they can begin focusing on talented forwards.

57 minutes ago, Draftiest said:

I would like Canucks mgmt. to draft either Makar or Liljegren because defensemen take longer to develop than forwards.

I have heard about how teams build their team from the goalie out. Goalies also take longer to develop than forwards and they seem very optimistic about Demko.

Add Juolevi and Makar/Liljegren and their defense will be rock solid.

With the two blue chip defense in the system, they can begin focusing on talented forwards.

Thats exactly my thinking. In my opinion the Canucks already have their 3, 4, 5 and 6th d men for the future in Hutton, Stetcher, Gudbranson and Tyramki, even Subban, but they need another blue chip guy to go along with Juolevi. I like Makar because he is a late bloomer and late bloomers usually turn out to be very good nhl players. Also if we draft Makar or Liljegren we can afford to move a guy like hutton or tanev for a good young forward and be ok with what we having coming in the system. 

I think next year the team will be equally as bad or worse, which will be a great opportunity for us to land a guy like rasmus dahlin (the next nick lidstrom/ erik karlsson according to some scouts) in next years draft. If that happens our defense for the future looks something like this. Providing we move hutton and/ or tanev is gone. 

Dahlin-Makar

Juolevi-Gudbranson

Tyramkin-Stetcher

Brisebois-Subban

Providing that Juolevi, Makar and Dahlin were to all pan out similar to as they should then that becomes one of the best defensive cores in the league.

Archived