The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Imdb Message Boards gone....

Ghostsof1915

So is this signalling the end of message boards, or places of not just information, but discussion? Feb 20, 2017 IMDB, Internet Movie Data Base shut down it's message boards saying it was no longer a positive experience for it's users. And who said that? Was it negative reviews of big budget movies, and projects before they got released? Is this pressure by Movie and TV studios so that there isn't criticism of it's releases? I know some of the comic-book based movies turned into amusing cat fights. But I never thought it was out of hand. (Youtube has some major trolls in that case...).

Does this mean that corporate culture is trying to stifle people's opinions? Is CDC threatened by some of the negative vibes on here? Despite some varying opinions, and some pretty heated discussions here, in general this is a great forum, and a lot of great users. I appreciate that the Canucks continue to keep CDC going. Despite numerous software upgrades and changes. It's a little troubling to see. Rant ends. 

Like anything else,  if there's a need for it,  or if it can benefit someone else enough,  another alternative will replace this resource I imagine.   I mean,  if CDC ended tomorrow,  how many alternative forums are out there? 

I missed the IMDB message boards where you can ask questions about some obscure movie or old movie or old TV shows.  Someone will have a answer about the plot for example or something you don't understand.  Or look up a favorite actor that passed on long time ago and read lots of comments on their past life.

i'm a big movie guy, so i've read my share of IMDB. but i genuinely think it's probably the worst "forum" I've seen on the internet. like, ever.

not only was it hideous and disorganized, but the content was ALMOST always puerile negativity. was that forum even moderated? was there any incentive for being honest? most opinions expressed there just seemed to be like trolls baiting other trolls. super weird stuff. when a movie starred a black person or was about a gay person or whatever, the entire forum would just be rednecks losing their minds over it. when that star wars stuff came out, it was like insecure dudes losing their minds over a female "mary sue" Or whatever. for pages. pages and pages and pages of guys raging about that stuff.

compare it to the more popular movie forums on reddit, for example, and its just night and day. even the rottentomatoes forum (is it still around?) was lightyears better.

I think it was killed for a few reasons:

No moderation. I was going to say 'lack', but it seems like there was nothing from the start. It turned into trolls vs. trolls trying to outdo each other. It's frustrating because it's a very fixable problem, but they were never willing to put resources into it, and at some point decided to use it as an excuse to shut down. They said "no longer providing a positive, useful experience", but that's 100% their fault. Moderation requires a human touch. 

Dissenting opinions. This is something I'm seeing more and more as comment sections and forums are being shut down on popular websites. Essentially, many sites want to control the narrative. There's less interest in discussion and more focus on pushing specific viewpoints on specific audiences. It's hard to do that when you have an open commenting system that can be difficult to manipulate. Much easier to shut it down and make communication one-way, or rely on the vacuum chambers that are Twitter and Facebook (I could speak more on that but I don' want to write a book). 

IMDB is closely tied into the industry, and I'm sure negative comments weren't keenly appreciated. 

Monetization. The bottom-line is all-important, and it's hard to directly make money from forum. The only options are ad revenue, gamification, tiered systems, and begging for donations. I believe there are many indirect benefits from having a strong online community, but I think its probably easy to manipulate data to support a position that it isn't making money now

It makes me appreciate what we have here, and the Canucks organization deserves a lot of credit for that. It's easy to take for granted, but the Canucks have kept this place going year after year, and I feel like we've always been fantastically well supported. 

54 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Its the large number of dedicated mod's that allow CDC to happen. I don't always agree with some of their decisions but I sure appreciate the time they put in. 

i feel he same way about our coaching staff. 

1 hour ago, StealthNuck said:

btw if anyone's looking for replacements I would suggest:

https://moviechat.org/

https://www.themoviedb.org/

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/

None of them come close to the detail and depth of IMDB.  IMDB gives the names of every actor, director, producer of every TV and movie made in history.  No matter how obscure the person is.   Its gives the episode guide of every TV show, all cast members, gives details of production and trivia.  IMDB have the biographies of every actor, director, producer, and staff member.

For example, nothing or very little on Harold Lloyd , Mannix,  Peter Graves, etc. just to throw out some names.

And some of the older TV shows have nothing on the message boards or months old comments.

5 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I was so bummed out. IMDB message boards were amazing. I went on there anytime I watched a movie or show that I found interesting. 

me as well always liked to see what other people opinions on movies and if maybe their take on it was different from mine.

So in hockey talk........Remember when CapGeek went down? It took a little bit of time, and then descent alternatives popped up. It took a short adjustment period but now there are multiple sites similar to CapGeek. 

So I think Movie buffs will/already do have many other sites to read reviews of movies. 

Archived