The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Oilers

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, 4thLineGrinder said:

this is Exactly where we are right now. 

Next year were gonna be even younger and there will be growing pains as we "get back to being an exciting team again"

How the solution to our problems turned into "fire the guy that has shown he can develop young talent and get the most out his rosters at each and every level he has professionally worked at.  Fire the guy that's current developing studs out of other teams left over scraps and wavier pick ups.  Fire the guy that we know can develop young talent because we got to get him out of the picture before he has a chance to work with the next possibly more talented wave of youth"

it's like bizzaro world

That's my point. Willie is not that guy. He does not coach an exciting style of hockey. He stiffles offensive talent. Tried to trap, buts it's a terrible trap allowing way too many shots. 

Again, I point to the terrible special teams HE has implemented 

he plays fabourites and is not predictable in his "accountability"  

in game management is non existent. He never attempts to match lines or stay away from certain matchups and has zero pulse behind the bench 

29 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

After you've got done venting you actually make some sense, except I wouldn't put Boucher with the Sedins. That would be like the slowest line that ever played in the NHL ;)  

Ahhh but then Boucher will be available to receive the pass 

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Ahhh but then Boucher will be available to receive the pass 

I certainly think he can score goals with the right linemates. Hope he gets a chance to show it as it won't likely happen on the 4th line.

1 minute ago, CeeBee51 said:

I certainly think he can score goals with the right linemates. Hope he gets a chance to show it as it won't likely happen on the 4th line.

Totally agree.

JB said he wants to see what guys can do buts it's hard to show anything on the 4th line. We know what we have in Megna and we know he won't be here next year so let's invest the time in figuring out what we have in guys like Shore and Boucher 

6 hours ago, numb3r 16 said:

Bottom 3 next year is what we all should hope for.

Forget bottom 3!! Aim higher (lower)!! We all know what happened last year...finishing 3rd worst gets you higher % to 5th pick. Finishing 2nd last gets you 17.5% at the top pick!

8 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Megna just floats around with his WD free pass... anyone that knows hockey can see Boucher and Shore have more to offer!

Not Shore, at least not yet- he's kind of freeloading right now, but Boucher is showing that he wants more.

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

You have to go back to the Habs dynasties of 4 decades ago to find a team that lead the NHL in scoring and gave up the fewest goals in the NHL in the same season.

Best powerplay and penalty killing in the NHL.

Someone stated that that team was the Sedins and Luongo.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  That was an elite team top to bottom - one of the best built and best coached teams in the history of the game.  A Hamhuis hip check and a couple other bad breaks, in addition to some slanted zebra politics - away from a SC.

And Luongo playing like Hardy Astrom in 4 of the 7 games. Lest we forget.

9 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Competitive? So how do you define competitive? Lose by less than 4 goals? 

Is that our new standard under Willie? That's what we have become 

a good coach finds a way to win with what he has and not just be competitive 

if the requirement is to have a star studded roster and the coach just stands there and watches the GM's team win I think I will apply for the coach job 

Any team can lose by one goal...it is a lot harder to win by one goal.  Totally agree a loss is a loss is a loss. Doesn't matter if you lose by 1, 2, or 3 goals, it's a loss.

More credit to the team that wins by one goal, not the Canucks losing by one or two.

8 hours ago, Darius71 said:

Do you ever watch other teams play?  This team lacks talent and is probably where they should be in the standings. Take tonight for instance, lots of shots on net but no goals. If they had a true sniper then one of those probably would have been burried.

Thy generate very little offence from the D, their bottom two lines are a revolving door of ahl calibre players, their top line qualifies for the seniors discount at Denny's... they have some nice young players, a few more are on the way, but this is not a good team.

its your prerogative if you want to blame willie day in and day out- just don't  expect others to buy it. This is the same willie that coached the team to 100 points. Remember? Al arbour and Scotty bowman couldn't turn this lot into a playoff team.  As if replacing megna or any other plug with god knows who would make a difference. Willie is not perfect but it's not his fault this team is bottom of the barrel this year.

Its a good point. It will take the Canucks 50 shots to barely score 3 goals because of their lack of high end offensive talent.Good teams may need 25 or 30 shots to score 3 Or 4 on them.

3 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

Not Shore, at least not yet- he's kind of freeloading right now, but Boucher is showing that he wants more.

I would hope Management would give Shore a decent chance... he might turn out to be another successful project like Baertschi and Granlund! Shore just got back from the Swiss league so it does take time to adjust.... he's got great size, skates hard and is versatile, instant upgrade to our bottom 6!

Play the kids Benning says. So what does Willie do? He puts Granlund with Bo and Baertschi. I think here we go we're going to see the kids play. Then Sutter gets more ice time than any other forward. For &^@#s sake just fire this piece of trash already!! I don't want to see this crap anymore...

1 minute ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Shore has shown nothing, just another body out there. 

Shouldn't be surprised to hear that. He's just filler, so we didn't have to recall someone from Utica that Willie would staple to the bench and refuse to give an opportunity to show what he can do....

25 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Forget bottom 3!! Aim higher (lower)!! We all know what happened last year...finishing 3rd worst gets you higher % to 5th pick. Finishing 2nd last gets you 17.5% at the top pick!

Odds have not yet been confirmed but adjusting last year's odds to include Vegas - the odds to get the 1st overall is 17.9% is if the team finishes last, 2nd last is 12.1% and 3rd last is 10.3%.

8 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

How is getting outshot night after night and reying on Miller "playing hard" 

on nights we let in one bad goal were are toast 

I want a coach with a real system,  not a smoke and mirrors system. Blaming no the roster is a copout 

And yet if you remember the first intermission interview, the Oiler player  (I forget who) was asked why 0 - 0 when they had rattled off 7 in both the previous games.  He replied that the Nux were so sound defensively that they were giving the Oilers nothing.

I guess it was just players' intuition at work then, and not their adhering to a coach's system.

Archived