The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Oilers

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"I liked our effort. Every line played well and Bachman was good. It would have been nice to get one that hit the post past them." - Desjardins

but what he real wanted to say, Megna was our best forward, he was real good with real good effort, and i love megna

Great effort tonight by the boys. They deserved better. Bo, Baer and Granny line was buzzing all night long and always created chances each and every shift out on the ice. Very unfortunate they weren't able to pot one especially Granny. Had 7 shots and some were some very close calls. Oilers were lucky to be in it for some parts of the game. Tram and Hutty pairing looked quite good out there and kept the Oilers forwards in check. They were positionally sound and knew where they had to be. The Cram, Sutter and Megna/Boucher line was okay but they were pinned along the boards and couldn't create enough chances. The LaBate, Shore, Megna/Boucher line were forechecking well but they're more of an energy line. Meh, Shore does better with Sutter as they can attack together and create decent chances like his 1st game vs Boston. Sbisa and Tanev were solid pairing. Just unfortunate they weren't able to clear the puck during coilers PP. Edler and Stecher pairing made a couple solid defensive plays that kept the boys in it. Bachman was spectacular and kept it close. Hope we bounce back next game.  All about the kids. GCG!

Just now, McDavyCrockett said:

We'll win a series against the Ducks 

No you won't. The last Canadian team to beat a team out of California was the 2011 Canucks who were statistically one of the best teams in the NHL of the decade. 

Even the 2012 presidents trophy winning Canucks got dominated. 

All the match ups in the world go out the window when there's two entirely different rule-sets. 

13 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

We could have salvaged a season if we had pulled the trigger on Willie around the time Boston made their coaching change 

instead we stuck with twitchy and headed to the cellar 

So now we tank .... again 

We won't be able to salvage the season by simply letting go of the coach because we really don't have the roster to compete for the playoffs. The Sedins really took a step back this year and that is 2 top-line offensive player dropping into second/third-liner in terms of production and we don't really have anybody else that can fill that void yet. The way I see this season was mangement overestimated the Sedins production (myself as well, you can look at my prediction before the season starts), by believing that they are still first liner, but reality is as good as they have been over the years, age has finally caught up to them and them not scoring at a first-line pace was what really hurted us. If the Sedins could score at a 60-70 pt range, and with young guys like Horvat, Baertchi and Granlund stepping up their game, the Canucks would still be competing for the final playoff spots. It's time to reconstruct this team and it starts from drafting a new No.1 line center.

1 minute ago, drdeath said:

No you won't. The last Canadian team to beat a team out of California was the 2011 Canucks who were statistically one of the best teams in the NHL of the decade. 

All the match ups in the world go out the window when there's two entirely different rule-sets. 

You have to go back to the Habs dynasties of 4 decades ago to find a team that lead the NHL in scoring and gave up the fewest goals in the NHL in the same season.

Best powerplay and penalty killing in the NHL.

Someone stated that that team was the Sedins and Luongo.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  That was an elite team top to bottom - one of the best built and best coached teams in the history of the game.  A Hamhuis hip check and a couple other bad breaks, in addition to some slanted zebra politics - away from a SC.

4 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

It's like Willie D is daring JB to fire his ass. 

Willie saw how Torts, Gully and Sully are doing, and he wants to keep the streak going.

Maybe the Avs or the Yotes pick him up next season and win the President's Trophy.

If that trend keeps up we'll have no problem finding the next coaching candidates... will only keep them for 1 year though, since they'll all ask to be fired eventually.

5 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

We won't be able to salvage the season by simply letting go of the coach because we really don't have the roster to compete for the playoffs. The Sedins really took a step back this year and that is 2 top-line offensive player dropping into second/third-liner in terms of production and we don't really have anybody else that can fill that void yet. The way I see this season was mangement overestimated the Sedins production (myself as well, you can look at my prediction before the season starts), by believing that they are still first liner, but reality is as good as they have been over the years, age has finally caught up to them and them not scoring at a first-line pace was what really hurted us. If the Sedins could score at a 60-70 pt range, and with young guys like Horvat, Baertchi and Granlund stepping up their game, the Canucks would still be competing for the final playoff spots. It's time to reconstruct this team and it starts from drafting a new No.1 line center.

Sometimes a change is all a team needs. Look at the Islanders. Specially when Willie is going to be dumped the second the season ends anyway. 

Anything would have better than him 

i understand we won't be world beaters with this roster but we are also not as bad as we have showed under Willie. His lack of special team's effectiveness is unforgivable and his lineup and line choices are simply ridiculous 

I get really pissed off when "superstars" receive preferential treatment from officials.  With 6.24 remaining in 3rd. period, McDavid skates in at 500 mph trying to control the puck, falls down and takes out 2 Canucks players.  I rewound that play 6 times and at no point was he touched by a Canuck before he fell.  However, penalty on Canucks because the player is McDavid.  BUT......what REALLY pisses me off is that coach Desjardins was NOT up on top of the bench screaming bloody murder at the officials.  He just stood behind the bench chewing his gum.  Where is the motivation for his payers ?   Sad, sad.........

7 minutes ago, drdeath said:

Assuming your conspiratorial thinking has credence...the Oilers beat both the Ducks and Sharks in 06- at a time where we didn't one of the faces of the NHL on our roster (as much as I loved Pronger, he wasn't arguably the best player in the NHL at the time) or the newest, shiniest, best arena in the NHL.

4 minutes ago, 1-d said:

Willie saw how Torts, Gully and Sully are doing, and he wants to keep the streak going.

Maybe the Avs or the Yotes pick him up next season and win the President's Trophy.

If that trend keeps up we'll have no problem finding the next coaching candidates... will only keep them for 1 year though, since they'll all ask to be fired eventually.

Funny

at BEST he will get an assistant coach gig. He won't be coaching in the NHL again. No GM in the NHL going to let that clown run their team 

most likely he will become Megna's agent trying to find him work in Europe 

5 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

i understand we won't be world beaters with this roster but we are also not as bad as we have showed under Willie. His lack of special team's effectiveness is unforgivable and his lineup and line choices are simply ridiculous 

No we aren't as bad as Willie makes us look. we're much much worse than that. we have no right to compete the way we did tonight and the way we do most nights with a roster full of AHLers and two spent 36 year old stars. We are the worst team in the NHL on paper. Willie's defensive system has created a land of delusion here.

Archived