The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Oilers

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Competitive? So how do you define competitive? Lose by less than 4 goals? 

Is that our new standard under Willie? That's what we have become 

a good coach finds a way to win with what he has and not just be competitive 

if the requirement is to have a star studded roster and the coach just stands there and watches the GM's team win I think I will apply for the coach job 

Are you joking? We had the run of play in the third period against what even you would have to concede was a vastly superior roster including the best player in the league and a bunch of other young stars. Where's the shame in that? Show me the quit in that?

20 minutes ago, singing chef said:

I get really pissed off when "superstars" receive preferential treatment from officials.  With 6.24 remaining in 3rd. period, McDavid skates in at 500 mph trying to control the puck, falls down and takes out 2 Canucks players.  I rewound that play 6 times and at no point was he touched by a Canuck before he fell.  However, penalty on Canucks because the player is McDavid.  BUT......what REALLY pisses me off is that coach Desjardins was NOT up on top of the bench screaming bloody murder at the officials.  He just stood behind the bench chewing his gum.  Where is the motivation for his payers ?   Sad, sad.........

I hear your anger - and see that like most people here, you find a way to project your anger over a horrible, phantom call at........who other than Willie :lol:

11 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Coaching change would only fire up a team if the team has game-changers/game breakers in their line-up that could use a fresh start. The Islanders got Tavares and he can definitely turn a team's fortune around and make them play better as a team. However, the Islanders are still currently on the outside of the playoffs looking in and they odds of them making the playoffs is against them as they are in a 3 way race with Toronto and Tampa Bay for 1 last spot. 

Boston has the line-up to compete for the playoffs with the rat having a career year, Bergeron and Krejci still decent plus young guy Pastranak really steping up this season.

As of us, who do we have that we consider game breakers? Horvat is definitely having a great season but he alone can't do it. Baertchi and Granlund also made nice steps forward but they all aren't at the level of game-breaker/game-changer. The entire line-up generates very little offence and our bottom-six are made up of hard-working guys with very little puck skills at the NHL level. It's a process to build from the scratch and this year is finally the year that we are sellers at the deadline, picking up a couple of young prospects with potential in Dahlen and Goldobin.

You can blame the downfall of the Canucks on poor drafting in the GIllis era as between the years of 2008-2013, there are only 2 players from those draft classes who had played more than 100 NHL games with the Canucks (Bo Horvat and Ben Hutton) and that isn't enough. If the Canucks had a better draft record, we would already have a group of players currently in their prime playing top line minutes which help the team compete for the playoffs.

All good points and don't disagree with any of your comments

the only issue is Willie is an incompetent coach and NOT a developmental coach or a technical coach. He is completely lacked in game game management ability.  So why just accept incompetence? It's breeds a loser culture 

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I don't usually throw WD under the bus but in this case if your trying to find a way to win games you have give your shooters some more mins who cares if you loos 2-0 or 4-0 the D did everything they could to keep us in this one.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

Said it before will say it again NO Canadian club will ever win a cup under Bettman's watch.  Never have never will.  NBC tells hims when to jump and he asks how high and when may I come down.  Don't count the Canadiens win in '93 he only became the commish in January of that same year. 

out of curiosity, how do you suppose gary is conducting this conspiracy, logistically speaking?

not to mention that in bettman's 24 years or whatever in power, only 12 different teams HAVE won the cup, leaving 19 (including atlanta) on the outside looking in. are the 12(13) american teams in that group also being oppressed by nbc or is it just the 7(6) canadian teams?

6 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

I have concluded as an opinion he will be resigned or extended . They will not move the goal posts at this juncture . A lot of folks seem to think or have an impression Willie is fired after season . I see no compelling evidence to indicate that is in fact a legitimate or true. 

Best case scenario is they let Willie expire after next season An evaluate him very harshly An decide to go another 4 or not .

i am in not camp but believe I am wrong An Willie will be kept around .

I think they feed him to the wolves at the end of the season and sacrifice Travis Green to the tank gods next year. I was with you up until just recently but I;m starting to get the impression Trev and Jimmy are buckling in their resolve. It's Aqua's call at the ens of the day and he wants asses in seats. I'm thinking he gives it the thumbs down.

2 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Are you joking? We had the run of play in the third period against what even you would have to concede was a vastly superior roster including the best player in the league and a bunch of other young stars. Where's the shame in that? Show me the quit in that?

Ummm last time I checked they award zero points for effort and 2 points for "results" 

Sick of this "compete level" crap. The NHL is a results business not minor league hockey where they hand out "effort" awards 

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Ummm last time I checked they award zero points for effort and 2 points for "results" 

Sick of this "compete level" crap. The NHL is a results business not minor league hockey where they hand out "effort" awards 

Get ready for 8-0 blowouts then. Buckle up buttercup the reckoning is at hand.

51 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

We could have salvaged a season if we had pulled the trigger on Willie around the time Boston made their coaching change 

instead we stuck with twitchy and headed to the cellar 

So now we tank .... again 

Why do you assume Claude Julien would have accepted the job offer?

33 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

We could have salvaged a season if we had pulled the trigger on Willie around the time Boston made their coaching change 

instead we stuck with twitchy and headed to the cellar 

So now we tank .... again 

16 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

We won't be able to salvage the season by simply letting go of the coach because we really don't have the roster to compete for the playoffs. The Sedins really took a step back this year and that is 2 top-line offensive player dropping into second/third-liner in terms of production and we don't really have anybody else that can fill that void yet. The way I see this season was mangement overestimated the Sedins production (myself as well, you can look at my prediction before the season starts), by believing that they are still first liner, but reality is as good as they have been over the years, age has finally caught up to them and them not scoring at a first-line pace was what really hurted us. If the Sedins could score at a 60-70 pt range, and with young guys like Horvat, Baertchi and Granlund stepping up their game, the Canucks would still be competing for the final playoff spots. It's time to reconstruct this team and it starts from drafting a new No.1 line center.

3 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

No we aren't as bad as Willie makes us look. we're much much worse than that. we have no right to compete the way we did tonight and the way we do most nights with a roster full of AHLers and two spent 36 year old stars. We are the worst team in the NHL on paper. Willie's defensive system has created a land of delusion here.

Have to go with @Salmonberries and @ruilin96 on this one. I think Willie has kind of lost it recently, but his defensive system made the Canucks more competitive than they deserved to be for much of the season.

I think the Canucks have probably set a record for "games played by replacement level players" (which goes hand in hand with setting a record for fewest goals scored in a season, which they are likely to do this year -- breaking last year's record).

Chaput has 7 pts in 57 games

Skille has 7 pts in 52 games

Megna has 7 pts in 52 games

Boucher has 3 pts in 16 games

Crammerossa has 0 pts in 9 games. So does Labate

Those are not even legitimate 4th numbers. And it is not like those guys bring a lot of toughness or energy, although Crammerossa and Labate provide some.

Add in the fact that the Canucks do not have a legitimate first line and don't have a legitimate top defensive pairing, and this team is weak on paper. I agree with @Salmonberries that, right now, we probably have the weakest team in the league on paper.

A lot of people are dumping on Willie (and I agree he has lost it lately) but I think Benning should be held accountable for the composition of the team. That is his job.  I think the strategy was wrong (i.e. they should been in rebuild mode from Day 1 of the Benning era), and I think the implementation of the rebuild has been poor. The most important problem is poor choices on two high first round draft picks. That is the best opportunity a team has to get franchise players.

Rodin and Shore each have 1 pt in 3 games.

1 minute ago, Salmonberries said:

Get ready for 8-0 blowouts then. Buckle up buttercup the reckoning is at hand.

You mean like Willie's coaching that cost us the Carolina debacle game? 

If we have a coach with passion and a pulse that does not favour underdog lifer minor leaguers we are not in for a "reckoning" 

Archived