The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Oilers

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I hear your anger - and see that like most people here, you find a way to project your anger over a horrible, phantom call at........who other than Willie :lol:

Do you not subscribe to the philosophy that a coach should challenge such a " phantom call " and thereby support his players ?  In this case there was no evidence that coach Desjardins did just that.

4 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Have to go with @Salmonberries and @ruilin96 on this one. I think Willie has kind of lost it recently, but his defensive system made the Canucks more competitive than they deserved to be for much of the season.

I think the Canucks have probably set a record for "games played by replacement level players" (which goes hand in hand with setting a record for fewest goals scored in a season, which they are likely to do this year -- breaking last year's record).

Chaput has 7 pts in 57 games

Skille has 7 pts in 52 games

Megna has 7 pts in 52 games

Boucher has 3 pts in 16 games

Crammerossa has 0 pts in 9 games. So does Labate

Those are not even legitimate 4th numbers. And it is not like those guys bring a lot of toughness or energy, although Crammerossa and Labate provide some.

Add in the fact that the Canucks do not have a legitimate first line and don't have a legitimate top defensive pairing, and this team is weak on paper. I agree with @Salmonberries that, right now, we probably have the weakest team in the league on paper.

A lot of people are dumping on Willie (and I agree he has lost it lately) but I think Benning should be held accountable for the composition of the team. That is his job.  I think the strategy was wrong (i.e. they should been in rebuild mode from Day 1 of the Benning era), and I think the implementation of the rebuild has been poor. The most important problem is poor choices on two high first round draft picks. That is the best opportunity a team has to get franchise players.

Rodin and Shore each have 1 pt in 3 games.

Who chooses to play Megna and Chaput over Boucher? 

Losing is still ill losing and what makes it worse is it's boring hockey 

who is going to pay to watch that? 

As for overall player lack of production ... ever stop to think it's Willie's awful "system" ? 

5 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

You mean like Willie's coaching that cost us the Carolina debacle game? 

If we have a coach with passion and a pulse that does not favour underdog lifer minor leaguers we are not in for a "reckoning" 

I mean we're dressing two full lines of AHL lifer forwards every night. It's pretty hard to work around that. Willie isn't a magician.

15 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Funny again 

defensive system? 

The one that allows over 40 shots a game a relies on our goalie to stand on his head and steal the game? That defensive "system" ? 

or is it his special teams "system"?

or his offensive "system" that has had us shutout 8 times this year? 

Do you ever watch other teams play?  This team lacks talent and is probably where they should be in the standings. Take tonight for instance, lots of shots on net but no goals. If they had a true sniper then one of those probably would have been burried.

Thy generate very little offence from the D, their bottom two lines are a revolving door of ahl calibre players, their top line qualifies for the seniors discount at Denny's... they have some nice young players, a few more are on the way, but this is not a good team.

its your prerogative if you want to blame willie day in and day out- just don't  expect others to buy it. This is the same willie that coached the team to 100 points. Remember? Al arbour and Scotty bowman couldn't turn this lot into a playoff team.  As if replacing megna or any other plug with god knows who would make a difference. Willie is not perfect but it's not his fault this team is bottom of the barrel this year.

3 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Who said anything about Julien? I want Gallant or Cro

Even Gallant will have multiple offers from situations probably more promising than ours. Crow will take any head coach position available, period. I'm not sure Crow is all that much of an upgrade.

Maybe if Lindy Ruff gets canned

Just now, Salmonberries said:

I mean we're dressing two full lines of AHL lifer forwards every night. It's pretty hard to work around that. Willie isn't Kreskin.

Those are the guys Willie claims to "trust" 

if willie actually had coaching ability he would have set up a great powerplay system. How many games would that have won us? What about penalty killing? How many games would that have won us? 

when we put a guy in like Goldy he says he does not trust so he limits playing time 

3 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Who chooses to play Megna and Chaput over Boucher? 

Losing is still ill losing and what makes it worse is it's boring hockey 

who is going to pay to watch that? 

As for overall player lack of production ... ever stop to think it's Willie's awful "system" ? 

What has career AHLer Boucher got that career AHLers Megna and Chaput don't have exactly? The difference is those two can check. and play his system. Boucher is just going to be exposed and outshone by the McDavid's of the world if he isn't sheltered.

11 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Ahhh you see you have accepted a loser culture my friend

i expect more 

19 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

All good 

it was a great night

- better draft odds

- Willie closer to the door 

14 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Sick of this "compete level" crap. The NHL is a results business not minor league hockey where they hand out "effort" awards 

Schizo much?

1 minute ago, Darius71 said:

Do you ever watch other teams play?  This team lacks talent and is probably where they should be in the standings. Take tonight for instance, lots of shots on net but no goals. If they had a true sniper then one of those probably would have been burried.

Thy generate very little offence from the D, their bottom two lines are a revolving door of ahl calibre players, their top line qualifies for the seniors discount at Denny's... they have some nice young players, a few more are on the way, but this is not a good team.

its your prerogative if you want to blame willie day in and day out- just don't  expect others to buy it. This is the same willie that coached the team to 100 points. Remember? Al arbour and Scotty bowman couldn't turn this lot into a playoff team.  As if replacing megna or any other plug with god knows who would make a difference. Willie is not perfect but it's not his fault this team is bottom of the barrel this year.

100 points from a team he inherited and downward ever since under his rule 

but maybe I am wrong, maybe Megna really is the next McDavid 

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

Those are the guys Willie claims to "trust" 

if willie actually had coaching ability he would have set up a great powerplay system. How many games would that have won us? What about penalty killing? How many games would that have won us? 

when we put a guy in like Goldy he says he does not trust so he limits playing time 

You can't have a great power play with a roster of $&!#ty forwards. Impossible.

1 minute ago, Salmonberries said:

What has career AHLer Boucher got that career AHLers Megna and Chaput don't have exactly? The difference is those two can check. and play his system. Boucher is just going to be exposed and outshone by the McDavid's of the world if he isn't sheltered.

His production per game so far this year is at a pace triple of Chaput and Megna and he is actually young unlike Megna 

5 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Even Gallant will have multiple offers from situations probably more promising than ours. Crow will take any head coach position available, period. I'm not sure Crow is all that much of an upgrade.

Maybe if Lindy Ruff gets canned

I like Lindy but I like Crows passion and offensive system 

his teams have always played exciting hockey 

4 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

His production per game so far this year is at a pace triple of Chaput and Megna and he is actually young unlike Megna 

You can rearrange the deck chairs all you want, the boat is still headed for that iceberg and it's women and captains first to the lifeboats at this stage of the season.

23 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Funny again 

defensive system? 

The one that allows over 40 shots a game a relies on our goalie to stand on his head and steal the game? That defensive "system" ? 

or is it his special teams "system"?

or his offensive "system" that has had us shutout 8 times this year? 

so you are saying that giving up 40 shots a night and having god awfull special teams shows that our players are not really that good.

yet they work hard and are in most games right to the end.  Well damm that must be some kind of coaching to get anything out that roster, let alone have the your guys thriving and developing.

firing wille now would do more harm than good.

how quick we forget, do you guys even remember how hard the team worked and competed for torts after the all star break?  The difference is astounding, i'll give wille all of next year to play out his contract based on this alone.  I'd much rather see a team that works hard and plays hard right to the end

Just now, Salmonberries said:

You can rearrange the deck chairs all you want, the boat is still headed for that iceberg and it's women ans captains first to the lifeboats at this stage if the season.

That we agree on

at this point we have to tank away and improve draft odds so in that regard having the worst coach in hockey is not a bad thing until the season end 

Just now, canuck2288 said:

I like Lindy but I like Crows passion and offensive system 

his teams have always played exciting hockey 

Bob Hartley, Travis Green, Michel Therrien. Remember those names. You're going to hate one of them by this time next year.

Archived