The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If we got nolan patrick would the canucks be saved?

teepain

Why give the kid a label. Can anyone imagine the pressure heaped on this kid if the Canucks fan gives him the label of savior. Kid could end up like Daigle. Let the kid play and grow and the labels will be earned as his career progresses. 

43 minutes ago, Fanaholic said:

THE PROBLEM is the building is full of people who are not even FANS.   REAL FANS get it.   I could not have said it better than you and if I could give you 10 likes I would!

These last two years it seems more hockey type fans than ever before. Way less of the business crowd.

7 hours ago, teepain said:

What do you guys think about that?

I think its a game changer.  The Sedins are doing so poorly because with age the biggest thing that is affected is your stamina.  They were always the slowest players to ever the play the game.  They haven't gotten slower.  They are just running out of gas; and even as professional as they are, I don't see them really focusing and trying very hard right now. That can be excused for veteran players playing for nothing.  The Sedin's also played in the world cup of hockey.  Over the last couple of years their decline has started in the 2nd half.  It was pushed up this year because of the tournament.  They also need their ice time reduced to ensure maximum effectiveness.  They will be completely different players playing 12-15min per night as 3rd line players.  They will get even more points next year than they did this year playing substantially less.

Horvat's line is high quality group.  Eriksson looked awesome with Horvat.  He was playing mostly with Spooner in Boston or at least he had a lot of chemistry with him.  I think he needs to play off of the rush to be effective.  He also adds a lot of defense to that line.

The 2nd unit is going to have either Boeser, Goldobin, Dahlen, Rodin ( I am still very high on him and hope he signs on for one more go), Granlund as wingers.  We just need a center for them Reinhart, Patrick or Hershier would give us to high paced lines to take the majority of the offensive minutes.

That leaves Sutter as the RW for the twins.  He adds defense, and he is a good fore checker with a good shot.  The Sedin line needs possession to be effective.  No better way than to have Sutter take the draws.  The other option is Jake, but I would rather keep him in the AHL to play with the wingers that don't make it.  That's going to be a solid team.  It will really build his confidence, and I think he will really rack up the points.  The slower route will give him a chance to be top 6 instead of top 9 again.

Chaput, Skille and Gaunce is a very solid 4th line.  If Gaunce is gone then Dorsett hopefully does the role.  Labate is too slow, I am not a fan of his.

The goaltending should be solid whatever the outcome.

7 hours ago, khay said:

Good points. And I prefer Hischier over Patrick mainly because he brings dynamic offensive skills and overlaps less with Horvat. Hischier-Horvat-Sutter-Gaunce does sound pretty good.

Dahlen, Goldobin, Granlund, Baertschi have the making of quality top 6 wingers that can score 20+ goals but I would spread them across 3 lines because as you said, we lack physicality on the top 6. We might really be able to get some good quality wingers on all 3 lines: Goldobin and Dahlen with high offensive upsides, Baertschi and Granlund with playmaking abilities and both are pretty responsible defensively, and Virtanen with size and speed as well as Eriksson (don't forget about him) who basically does a lot of things well, passing, defence, transitioning, net presence, collecting garbage goals etc etc.

Baertschi-Horvat-Goldobin

Dahlen-Hischier-Virtanen

Granlund-Sutter-Eriksson

Something like this might save the team. I would like one more power winger depending on how the fourth line gets built.

what about Boeser

Just my Opinion but I think we are still at least 3 very solid drafts away from being competitive again.  We could get lucky with a 2nd round or higher steal that speeds that up a bit. I think in 3 years time we will start our rise and in 6-8 years we might have a team that might make it out of the second round.  Who knows we can always get lucky but a team with no superstars seems unlikely to win a Cup. 

We could build a team and this seems like the most likely situation that has a average 1st line a 2nd line that could almost be a 1st line and a 3rd line that would be a 2nd on most teams.  This team would need excellent Defense and a great goalie.  Lets hope some of our prospect far exceed expectations and guys like Boeser reach theirs. 

So to answer your question no way does one of those 2 guys save our team but if we can get 3 like that in the next 3 drafts we might have a chance.

:lol: 

No, no he would not.

The Jets have Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor, Trouba, Wheeler, Little, and Byfuglien. They then drafted Laine, and they are still not "solved" or "saved".

Patrick would be a step in the right direction. But the "end" would be YEARS away.

6 minutes ago, thrago said:

Just my Opinion but I think we are still at least 3 very solid drafts away from being competitive again.  We could get lucky with a 2nd round or higher steal that speeds that up a bit. I think in 3 years time we will start our rise and in 6-8 years we might have a team that might make it out of the second round.  Who knows we can always get lucky but a team with no superstars seems unlikely to win a Cup. 

We could build a team and this seems like the most likely situation that has a average 1st line a 2nd line that could almost be a 1st line and a 3rd line that would be a 2nd on most teams.  This team would need excellent Defense and a great goalie.  Lets hope some of our prospect far exceed expectations and guys like Boeser reach theirs. 

So to answer your question no way does one of those 2 guys save our team but if we can get 3 like that in the next 3 drafts we might have a chance.

Your assessment is pretty realistic IMO. I have been hoping for a 3 - 4 year period for a competitive team only because Benning has revamped the d-core faster than I thought he could. That does not mean it is competitive now but the ingredients are there. In 4 years this group will be in the 26 - 30 year old spread which has to be positive.

The forward group is a challenge as it needs size, speed and skill. As you suggested it could easily take 3 more drafts. Best laid plans more often than not fail in the NHL. There are lots of examples. Many smart hockey people have their rosters never achieve a CUP or even serious contention. So many variables they do not control or anticipate.

7 hours ago, c00kies said:

Nolan Patrick wouldn't even be our best prospect, and I have his ceiling below Horvat's. Heck, I don't even think NP is the best player in the draft.

Why does this draft have to be so poor?! :(

This draft is PROJECTED to be poor. It could be one of the best drafts of all time, there could be tonnes of sleeper picks.  We won't know for 5 plus years, be positive. 

I agree with everyone else that one player can't save a team. Unless he's generational such as McDavid or Crosby. But with a good pick this year and continued development from lower round picks. we could have a very good young team if players live up to potential.

Goldy-2018/2017pick-Boeser

Baer-Bo-Granlund (the future vets haha)

Dahlen-Gaudette-Eriksson

Lockwood-Zhuk-Virtanen

Juolevi-Tanev/2017pick

Hutton-Tryamkin

Stetcher-Guddy

In 2-3 years we could see a team similar to this. Or at least many of these players. Add in some vets like Eriksson and Tanev. Its a good young group but I still think we need another true first line prospect and top pairing defensemen. 

Don't get me wrong. This team won't look like this in three years but you have to appreciate the depth we have at D and the growing offensive potential. 

Why is anyone under the impression this team needs saving? We've got a ton of blue chip prospects joining our team in the next 2-3 years with some coming sooner. The old guard is about to pass the baton to Bo and the new core and I see nothing but bright future ahead of us. Sure Nolan Patrick could help, any player could, but to put us in the category of a team that needs saving is just hyperbole imo.

9 hours ago, teepain said:

What do you guys think about that?

It would make a difference that is for sure.  He is considered the safest pick almost universally by scouts but his ceiling not as high as some others around a RNH type.  A valuable piece no doubt but we all know the Oilers story with Hall Eberle and co didn't work until they showed up defense and acquired a good goalie.  So a big no ... We still will lack a top ten goalie and a elite first defenseman...

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

The health troubles are an issue to be seriously looked at. He seems to be fine since his return this year. That does not mean he will be able to deal with the rigors of the nhl.

He's only had 1 year injury free since 2012/2013 and even in the year he was mostly injury-free, he played through a hernia.

Patrick wouldn't "save" any team but a having a top-six built around Horvat and Patrick (or Hischier) would go a fair way toward resolving the focus on how this team could grow into a young, contending group.

We really need another potential 1C in the system. Doesn't have to be an elite/generational guy. Just good enough so that, with Horvat already in place, we have the young centres available to run with a 1A/1B setup in the top-six.

Then it's just a matter of getting a 1D (plus Demko becoming a legitimate starter) and the rest of the parts fall into place fairly easily.

I think we're pretty good already for having a prospect pool with good mid-range, complimentary players. But need to add a top level centre and defenseman.

It's possible we already have that 1D in the system. However, I see our top defensemen prospects as more #2 and top-4 level guys, plus a handful who might be good 4/5/6s or depth Ds.

5 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

No. Especially if he is a Nugent Hopkins or Nathan Mackinnon level player (still good quality but not a McDavid, Crosby, or even Stamkos/ Kane / Tavares level). 

You wouldn't be happy with a MacKinnon level player? Wow. 

I think the notion that this draft is weak is being a little overdone....sure, there might not be a generational (Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid) or elite (Stamkos, Kane, Tavares, Matthews) at the top, but there's no reason why Patrick won't shape up to be a legit 1st line C. A Mikko Koivu-type.

There is no one way to build an elite NHL team. 

5 minutes ago, Pears said:

You wouldn't be happy with a MacKinnon level player? Wow. 

???? I never said that. I'd be stoked to get a MacKinnon level player, but he would not save the franchise. MacKinnon hasn't saved the Avs franchise, and his numbers have dropped since his rookie season. Four seasons into MacKinnon's career and the Avs are as bad as they have ever been. And they weren't even that horrible to begin win, quite up and down. 

Crosby and McDavid have saved their franchises. Tavares has helped the Islanders go from league joke to playoff contender and made some really medicore players like Matt Moulson a lot better. Stamkos - Tampa is a strange team, very up and down. 

Archived