teepain

If we got nolan patrick would the canucks be saved?

Rate this topic

143 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Aircool said:

You obviously don't know what a career year is... It's evident in the way you are talking about it. This isn't to say that they will peak at this production, but it is the best they've ever done. Granlund has played 170 games in the NHL, that's plenty enough to say that this is an improvement over anything he has done prior. I'm not saying these players don't have potential, they do, and this is redundant but I will emphasize I NEVER SAID OTHERWISE. But for someone to use the words "consistent 20 goal scorer" with 2 players that have as of yet NEVER actually had a 20 goal season, which was the point of the portion of my post you are taking issue with, well it's just factually incorrect.

In 2011-2012, people talked about Jannik Hansen in the way people are now talking about Baertschi and Granlund. People thought, here's this player who is elite on the forecheck and he was on pace for a 20 goal season... He never got his 20 goals that season, and you know what.. He never did get them until he played full-time on the Sedins wing... And his forecheck fell off the face of the earth. There was a time where seemingly several times a game, Jannik Hansen would catch a defenseman in a corner and take the puck from him... Just like Valeri Nischushkin, players don't always deliver upon their breakout years in terms of further breakthroughs.. Sometimes players step back, and sometimes step forward again and sometimes don't. So to call two players who haven't even once scored 20 goals, "consistent 20 goal scorers" is certainly worthy of correction and if you were incapable of determining the point of that post... Well I'll probably end up blocking you because what is the point in arguing with people who argue poorly and for the sake of it.

Obviously. I love your use of that word. 

A career season is a season that defines a career. It tops all other production previously obtained. If you haven't obtained anything before,  how do you call it a career year?

You OBVIOUSLY don't know the meaning of "break out season". More often than not, career years are established well after the breakout season.  

Baertschi isn't breaking out due to injury issues which is unlucky, but granlund is breaking out. Hé will most certainly progress, I mean he has made a life out of exceeding expectations.

Hansen is a différent story. Hs breakout year happened after 4 seasons (the career year you're referring), and it happened on the presidents trophy winning team, playing with the likes of Kesler, burrows , Higgins raymond etc... all in their prime.

I dont know if you've noticed but granlund is playing with eriksson (has like 25 points, I mean granlund almost has more goals than eriksson points), on a team that is 3rd last and struggling to score on a nightly basis. 

Hé is breaking out. Not having a career year 

Play him in 3-4 years with mc david for example and yeah that could be a career year ( I know hell never play with him but just for this example.)

Gaudette is kind of the wild card in this whole thing. Fact is that we really have no clue what his ceiling is. For all we know we could already have our next top line center and not even know it.

Obviously we can't bank on that, but his emergence kind of throws a bit of a monkey wrench into things (in the best possible way).

21 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Obviously. I love your use of that word. 

A career season is a season that defines a career. It tops all other production previously obtained. If you haven't obtained anything before,  how do you call it a career year?

You OBVIOUSLY don't know the meaning of "break out season". More often than not, career years are established well after the breakout season.  

Baertschi isn't breaking out due to injury issues which is unlucky, but granlund is breaking out. Hé will most certainly progress, I mean he has made a life out of exceeding expectations.

Hansen is a différent story. Hs breakout year happened after 4 seasons (the career year you're referring), and it happened on the presidents trophy winning team, playing with the likes of Kesler, burrows , Higgins raymond etc... all in their prime.

I dont know if you've noticed but granlund is playing with eriksson (has like 25 points, I mean granlund almost has more goals than eriksson points), on a team that is 3rd last and struggling to score on a nightly basis. 

Hé is breaking out. Not having a career year 

Play him in 3-4 years with mc david for example and yeah that could be a career year ( I know hell never play with him but just for this example.)

I see you live in Paris.  Any news on that side of the pond about Hischier?  I see the Patrick going first, so we might be more likely to pick Hischier.  

If Nolan Patrick didn't get injured this year and was able to play in the WJC, I think everyone would sing a very different tune in regards to him. I have seen him play, he is significantly better than everyone else on the ice.

My biggest fear would be becoming the St.Louis Blues, having only one elite player (a winger), a good d-core, and just decent forwards. You need elite talent and very good talent to win Cups, even if you have good depth throughout the line-up. 

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I see you live in Paris.  Any news on that side of the pond about Hischier?  I see the Patrick going first, so we might be more likely to pick Hischier.  

I live in Montpellier, roughly 850 km south of Paris. And to be completely honest all my knowledge of rookies comes from cdc, tsn the score nhl etc. ...

Maybe I'm a homer but Tram looks like a 1D. His Shots are the opposite of Edler, they hit the net, he's only gonna get better, he's a physical force and sees the ice pretty well.

50 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

If Nolan Patrick didn't get injured this year and was able to play in the WJC, I think everyone would sing a very different tune in regards to him. I have seen him play, he is significantly better than everyone else on the ice.

So have I, but the big ? is that he seems so fragile- he had injuries in teenage hockey before the WHL too.  I have a bad gut feeling if Canucks draft him, he wouldn't last very long in the NHL.

He's not likely a saviour, but Patrick is what this team needs going forward. JB should seriously consider trading up if we don't win the lottery. 

We really need elite talent on our top line.

With that said, nobody in this draft is considered a generational player.  Even if the gods shined on us for a change and we got #1 or #2 overall, it isn't like we are getting a McJesus to turn everything around for us.  It would help, of course, but we'd still need another elite player or two in order to be true cup contenders, imo.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

The worry is whether he will be durable. He could be the most skilled but if he is always in the infirmary then he will not help.

Edited by appleboy

If Hischier is selected by Arizona, i really feel like that opens a door for Domi being available. I know ive said it many times before but id be knocking the door down on that one. 

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

We really need elite talent on our top line.

With that said, nobody in this draft is considered a generational player.  Even if the gods shined on us for a change and we got #1 or #2 overall, it isn't like we are getting a McJesus to turn everything around for us.  It would help, of course, but we'd still need another elite player or two in order to be true cup contenders, imo.

Not to worry. With the Twins winding down there is always next year!

Posted (edited)

The likelihood of us getting a favourable position in this year's draft are not that high. We have never had first overall and have picked second overall what, twice in our 40+ year history? Chances are that we pick between 5-7 this year and most picks are a wait and see from that point onwards. Sure we could trade up for a better pick, but at what cost? Would you give up Horvat + for that? I sure wouldn't. Don't get me wrong, Nolan Patrick looks like he could be a phenomenal player in the NHL. Of course so did Patrik Stefan the year the twins were drafted. All of the major scouts are saying there is no "sure thing" in this year's draft. For what it is worth, my top pick is Liljegren. I hope we take him, but I won't be surprised if he is gone before we pick. I for one would not be that upset if we ended up with Cal Foote. Given his pedigree he could be amzing for us also and he is RIGHT HANDED.

/Just my two cents

Edited by hlaevang

6 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

It would be pretty sweet if we got him as we'd end up with our top 2 centers being old school Canadian centers (big, tough, skilled). The thing that makes me think he'll be elite in the league is his hockey IQ. When he has the puck, he seems to always skate in a way that factors in how the D will react during the whole time he has the puck and he seems to know where his teammates will end up getting good scoring chances. The Canucks need that type of creativity. With young players, you always wonder if they can translate their production to the next level - for example, I think Nico Hischier will still be fast and dynamic even in the NHL, but does he have the strength and size to win the various battles? In Vilardi's and Rasmussen's case, I think their lack of explosive skating is going to cost them big-time in the NHL. But in Nolan Patrick's case, I think he can still continue to do his creative playmaking because he already has the size and strength and knows how to use both effectively. Imho, the only question is whether his previous injury issues is a sign of a chronic issue.

1 hour ago, hlaevang said:

The likelihood of us getting a favourable position in this year's draft are not that high. We have never had first overall and have picked second overall what, twice in our 40+ year history? Chances are that we pick between 5-7 this year and most picks are a wait and see from that point onwards. Sure we could trade up for a better pick, but at what cost? Would you give up Horvat + for that? I sure wouldn't. Don't get me wrong, Nolan Patrick looks like he could be a phenomenal player in the NHL. Of course so did Patrik Stefan the year the twins were drafted. All of the major scouts are saying there is no "sure thing" in this year's draft. For what it is worth, my top pick is Liljegren. I hope we take him, but I won't be surprised if he is gone before we pick. I for one would not be that upset if we ended up with Cal Foote. Given his pedigree he could be amzing for us also and he is RIGHT HANDED.

/Just my two cents

Some of the best players in this draft may go outside of the top 3. 

This is one of those years where the top 2 or 3 seem some what fixed but the rest are all over the map. If you look at all of the moch drafts there seems to be consistent patern.

i dunno about anyone with the name patrick

patrik stefan comes to mind

just saying