The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Just a thought, how about you?

What if Vancouver was to give Curtis Valk a try? Or better yet Subban. Give these kids a shot. Valk has succeeded at every level. Subban is learning his two way game. Keep your picks, and lets see what they can do. As a fan for a long time I knew that this had to come. If during the summer the Canucks are offered something strong, for Tanev or Edler then they should take it. But to make a move to make a move is just wrong. The only centre that i would like Van to set their collective eye's on is either Jost, or Strome. One of these two could set the standard here in Van.  What comes next year or the year after dosnt help for another three years. 

I could be proven wrong but currently I don't want to touch any of the Strome's with a 10ft hockey poll.  Just a gut feeling that their skills, for whatever reason, won't translate well to the NHL.  As for Valk, in order for him to come up he'd have to sign an NHL contract I believe, so I wouldn't make that move now.  He's deserving of some key ice time next preseason though.  I don't see Subban getting a shot either unless injuries hit the back end again.  Utica needs him for their playoff push more than any benefit that playing a handful of meaningless NHL games would.  We'll see where he is on the depth chart at training camp next year.

This is Valks first full year in the AHL, and while he's done well, that's a whole other step into the NHL. Subban has been talked about at length (in his prospect thread and others) and his defensive issues are a concern at this point and while he produces offensively, so has McEneny been of late and he doesn't have the issues elsewhere that would require him to be sheltered.

We only have one call up left and won't be using it just to bring up players to test. We'd have to sign Valk as well, so I don't think we're going to commit another contract spot to him at this point.

Both could get there, but right now isn't the time.

21 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

This is Valks first full year in the AHL, and while he's done well, that's a whole other step into the NHL. Subban has been talked about at length (in his prospect thread and others) and his defensive issues are a concern at this point and while he produces offensively, so has McEneny been of late and he doesn't have the issues elsewhere that would require him to be sheltered.

We only have one call up left and won't be using it just to bring up players to test. We'd have to sign Valk as well, so I don't think we're going to commit another contract spot to him at this point.

Both could get there, but right now isn't the time.

This. No point in calling anyone up right now unless someone gets hurt. It would only hurt Utica's playoff chances. 

On 3/19/2017 at 10:02 AM, YEGCanuck said:

IMO Valk is an AHLer for life and Subban will be known "name" add-on to a trade when the time is right.

It's unfortunate to know that both have excesses of talent but cannot crack a line up due to size concerns. At 6'3", I think both get their respective shots and would garner a lot more excitement. To some degree, however, I am forced to agree with you that, given the size of our current line up, I think, at best one may get a chance in the future and I believe it more likely that Valk is going to be the one. I find it difficult to trust a 5'9" defenseman with the task of working forwards in front of our net and as Subban is an offensive defenseman, his faults only become more apparent. I. too, see him as a throw in as part of a future deal to fill other needs.

Archived