The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future begins next year

Bur14Kes17

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Totally agree. Edler at 20 to 22 TOI is still an effective d-man. One of the bigger Oilers took a run at him last night and Edler lost nothing in the hit. He is a big body guy and I honestly think that with Guddy back in the lineup Edler plays off that physicality.

All this aside the LD in Van is looking much stronger. The big unknown is how fast does Tryamkin develop. It will likely tell the tale as to Edler's future. Sbisa has shown the ability to play a pretty solid 2LD this year. I doubt Hutton is going anywhere. I still think Benning has a deal on the burner to deal with his d-core exposure to Vegas. He has a d-man problem and a Baer/Granlund problem. He has to deal.

There isn't a Baer/Gran problem since we traded Hansen. alls good at forward unless Benning trades a D for one.

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Totally agree. Edler at 20 to 22 TOI is still an effective d-man. One of the bigger Oilers took a run at him last night and Edler lost nothing in the hit. He is a big body guy and I honestly think that with Guddy back in the lineup Edler plays off that physicality.

All this aside the LD in Van is looking much stronger. The big unknown is how fast does Tryamkin develop. It will likely tell the tale as to Edler's future. Sbisa has shown the ability to play a pretty solid 2LD this year. I doubt Hutton is going anywhere. I still think Benning has a deal on the burner to deal with his d-core exposure to Vegas. He has a d-man problem and a Baer/Granlund problem. He has to deal.

I seen a tiny bit more compete out of Edler he does at times seem to go from good not great defensively to overmatched rookie very quickly so maybe there is something to him being over used I'm not the biggest fan but paired with our battleship he might play bigger.

5 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

There isn't a Baer/Gran problem since we traded Hansen. alls good at forward unless Benning trades a D for one.

Sedin-Sedin-Ericksson - must protect

Sutter-Horvat-Baer-Granlund - obvious optional picks 

* my bad I forgot Hansen subtraction

12 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

No, the future begins in 2018-19. Utica will develop our prospects next year and our team will mostly be the same. Next year's gonna be the same as this year.

We are at least two years away. I think the rebuild starts next year and will continue on for a while yet.

It is what is needed.

36 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

What the Canucks did this year was great. They competed, fought hard, were on the cusp of making the playoffs and then fell off at the end, now we'll end up getting a good draft pick. This year was the perfect situation. You know, besides a cup. This team needs to come in every year and be competitive at the beginning to prevent a losing culture. Lets hope the young guys can improve while we get a good draft pick.

They could accomplish the same with marky with a good back up. This team needs to give marky the ball and see what he can do with it. 

Live and die with the next chapter

Miller has been reported to be going back Cali to be a back up so he can be closer to his wife and kid anyways 

8 minutes ago, billabong said:

They could accomplish the same with marky with a good back up. This team needs to give marky the ball and see what he can do with it. 

Live and die with the next chapter

Miller has been reported to be going back Cali to be a back up so he can be closer to his wife and kid anyways 

Hoping Benning can sign Miller for one more year and truly make next year a Markstrom transition period. Then I would be trading Miller, Edler and the Sedins at next deadline. Thats when this team will begin with the next core. 

I don't see where Miller fits in Cali. To many good #1 goalies. I think he'd  rather compete for a #1 spot one more year. But on the other hand I won't be too surprised if he goes to Cali.

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

If we're waiting for "generational talent" then buckle up for a generation of draft disappointment. 

I wouldn't classify Kopitar, Doughty and Quick as "generational" and we're developing guys with that ceiling. With guys like this and a good coach we've got as good a chance as any team. 

Who in our system do you think is going to be at Doughty's level?

What youth? Give us some names.

1 hour ago, YEGCanuck said:

Given we have a new coach (Green) and a youth movement I still think Miller on a 2 year contract is the way to go. He simply gives the team a better chance to win.  

What has Green done? 

We are all waiting on your answer - once you get back we will compare it with Desjardins.

In case it has escaped you it's Desjardins that has the youth of this Club performing, not Green.

Green intrigues me, but I'm not sold on him being our coach next season. I won't be surprised if he is, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them look for more experience in a coach either. I'd be disappointed if Willie was retained for his final year but I could see that happening too.

16 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

What youth? Give us some names.

What has Green done? 

We are all waiting on your answer - once you get back we will compare it with Desjardins.

In case it has escaped you it's Desjardins that has the youth of this Club performing, not Green.

No chance Willie D is back.  The team needs to sell tickets, and they can't sell Willie D as the coach.  I see the next coaching hire being one that gets the fan base excited, and a guy who will play an up tempo game, using the young guys.  It could certainly be Crow.

52 minutes ago, Armbar said:

Who in our system do you think is going to be at Doughty's level?

Maybe Liljegren if we're lucky enough to pick 3rd or 4th? I posted an article yesterday with some scouts projecting him that high. 

If we're looking at LA comparisons specifically I'd say Bo might get to Kopitar production levels of 60-70 pts, our Hobey Baker finalist/ Richter award winner goalie Demko could be "our" Quick. On D it may have to be by committee if we can't draft Liljegren. 

Baer / Horvat / Boeser

Rodin / Granlund / Goldy

Sedins  / Eriksson or MacEwan (ya I said it)  Eriksson either starts producing or he gets traded, the Sedins have never had a Bertuzzi type player....Mac may be that....

Gaunce / Sutter or Nolan or Nico / Dorset

Juolevi / Tanev

Tryamkin / Stecher

Hutton  / Gudbranson

Lliljegren ( if we don't get one of the top 2 centers maybe we can nab Tim L.)

Edler traded and Sbisa gone to Las Vegas or spells Juolevi and Hutton as the 7th d.

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Id take Liljegrin or Makar. Depends where were drafting though. Next year we will most likely see a lot of kids transformation for good or bad, here on the big club and in Utica.

Juolevi, Boeser, Goldy will most likely be on the big club competing for spots.

Virtanen, Subban, McEneny, Pedan will be right between the two again. Right on the cusp of the NHL.

Dahlen, Brisebois, Neill, Cassels, Jasek and all the others in Utica will be fun to watch. Will be interesting to see their compete level.

I for one am very excited but also hopeful that these kids can live up to their potential. Also hoping Benning can sign Miller for one more year and truly make next year a Markstrom transition period. Then I would be trading Miller, Edler and the Sedins at next deadline. Thats when this team will begin with the next core. Heres hoping their ready.

Hey retro

I can see Goldy here for sure, but hopefully there is no rush, and they all have a year down on the farm, which will give our 2017 picks another year under their belts.....no use getting in a rush.........this is a developing program and story.

In my opinion, all could stand a year on the farm before coming up...........pro hockey isn't the same as junior, they will need the time

I suggest we all be patient

16 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hey retro

I can see Goldy here for sure, but hopefully there is no rush, and they all have a year down on the farm, which will give our 2017 picks another year under their belts.....no use getting in a rush.........this is a developing program and story.

In my opinion, all could stand a year on the farm before coming up...........pro hockey isn't the same as junior, they will need the time

I suggest we all be patient

Well Juolevi can't be in Utica so he'll be here or college/europe. My guess is he'll be our seventh D that will slot in often. Your right about Boeser, he might benefit from some time in the A, but if he comes in next training camp and plays well, hell make the team even if just as a bit of a publicity stunt.

This time, last year, I had the 17/18 year pegged as the "beginning of the future" as well.  (Does that make sense?) 

But now that I'm here, I think 18/19 is the year.  That's 5 drafts for Benning to rebuild the team - we'll really know what we have at that time.  

We have a young D - but will it be good enough?

Tryamkin/Stetcher/Hutton are nice "young guys" but we need them to improve.

Baer and Granny look like good top-6 wingers, but how much more will they improve? Everyone else is a question mark.  

Here's hoping Eriksson bounces back to take some pressure off.

Same for Bo - he also looks like a top-6 Center... but is he a top liner?  

There's also nothing below him.

We also have an army of grinders to fill out the bottom 6 with Sutter.  That's good to have.  Some even have some upside.

So many questions.  Next year will give us some answers... when when the Sedins retire the training wheels come off.    Nobody left to blame but the "kids" of today.  

Will we be able to ride or will we fall and start all over again?

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

This time, last year, I had the 17/18 year pegged as the "beginning of the future" as well.  (Does that make sense?) 

But now that I'm here, I think 18/19 is the year.  That's 5 drafts for Benning to rebuild the team - we'll really know what we have at that time.  

We have a young D - but will it be good enough?

Tryamkin/Stetcher/Hutton are nice "young guys" but we need them to improve.

Some young wingers with top-6 potential.  

Baer and Granny look like good top-6 wingers, but how much more will they improve? Everyone else is a question mark.

Same for Bo - he also looks like a top-6 Center... but is he a top liner?  

There's also nothing below him.

We also have an army of grinders to fill out the bottom 6 with Sutter.  That's good to have.  Some even have some upside.

So many questions.  Next year will give us some answers... when when the Sedins retire the training wheels come off.    Nobody left to blame but the "kids" of today.  

Will we be able to ride or will we fall and start all over again?

Wow!  One of the best posts I've read on CDC, and I've read many.  Your last line, the analogy to learning to ride a bike, is brilliant.  Now who is the best coach to help our youth learn to ride the whoop dee doos?

Archived