The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future begins next year

Bur14Kes17

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

No chance Willie D is back.  The team needs to sell tickets, and they can't sell Willie D as the coach.  I see the next coaching hire being one that gets the fan base excited, and a guy who will play an up tempo game, using the young guys.  It could certainly be Crow.

I'm right with you on that. I'd be beyond stoked if Crawford came back.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wow!  One of the best posts I've read on CDC, and I've read many.  Your last line, the analogy to learning to ride a bike, is brilliant.  Now who is the best coach to help our youth learn to ride the whoop dee doos?

Honestly, Alf, I don't care who coaches the team.

But whoever does needs to lean on the young guys to get the most out of them.  Yes, with encouragement, but also the press box or being stapled to the 4th line or a public call out if they deem it necessary. If that weeds out a few of the ones who aren't willing to buy in then so be it - next man up.  

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Honestly, Alf, I don't care who coaches the team.

But whoever does needs to lean on the young guys to get the most out of them.  Yes, with encouragement, but also the press box or being stapled to the 4th line or a public call out if they deem it necessary. If that weeds out a few of the ones who aren't willing to buy in then so be it - next man up.  

Yup, gotta agree.  Guys shouldn't need external motivation.  If they do...ship 'em out.  

?  - ?  -  ? 

Baertschi - Horvat -  Granlund 

Sedin - Sedin - ? 

Cramarossa - Chaput - Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson 

Tryamkin - Stecher 

50/50 Split

Miller 

Markstrom

Trade Pieces 

Sutter

Eriksson

Sbisa 

Expansion Draft

Gaunce

Biega

Bachman 

2017 Draft 

Liljegren

Now we are left with Goldobin, Boeser, and Virtanen to fill in the ?'s however, we are still missing our top line centre. Yeah I know Horvat is playing more and more like a 1st liner but I think he'll be absolutely great as our 2C. We'll still have Dahlen and Gaudette in Utica who will be ready to step up once the Sedins retire. 

I believe we should trade Sbisa, Sutter and our two 2nd's (I'm pretty sure Columbus will give us the 2nd this year because next year is a deeper draft) for Reinhart. In Sutter, they are getting a great PK and face off guy and with Sbisa it helps solidify their defence. Now you add in the two seconds, one of which is going to be between the 32-36 picks and I believe this could be a good hockey trade that helps both teams. We may need to take some salary back but that shouldn't be a problem. 

I think signing Eriksson was a mistake, the pressure of producing with the Sedins or just producing in general has gotten to him. Like Vrbata, I think he would better produce on a different team. Trade him to whoever and for whatever you can get for him.

This would leave Gaunce, Biega, and Bachman exposed for the draft. Las Vegas take your pick. 

Now as as for the draft I don't think we are getting a top 3 pick, with vegas guaranteed 3rd or better it kind of screws us. So, I believe the Canucks should target Liljegren. This would help solidify our defence for the future. Joulevi, Liljegren, Hutton, Gudbranson, Tryamkin and Stecher - a good mix of size and skill. While we wait on Joulevi and Liljegren to develop and step up we still have Edler and Tanev holding the fort. When they are good and ready, trade Tanev for scoring help upfront and let Edler walk or trade at deadline in his final year. 

This would be ideal for the future, let's just hope Linden and/or Benning frequent this forum. 

Mittelstadt has 6 points in 3 games after returning to the USHL.

27 points in 19 games 1.42 (Mostly powerplay points though)

Eeli Tolvanen sits at 47 points in 45 games for 1.02 ppg (Mostly 5v5 points)

Mittelstadt is pretty close to Kyle Connor for me. Both played in the USHL in their draft year as late birthday players, both put up 1.42 points per game. 

Connor currently has 38 points in 44 games in the AHL now in his 19-20 year old season

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

No chance Willie D is back.  The team needs to sell tickets, and they can't sell Willie D as the coach.  I see the next coaching hire being one that gets the fan base excited, and a guy who will play an up tempo game, using the young guys.  It could certainly be Crow.

FFS

On 2017-03-19 at 9:44 AM, Bur14Kes17 said:

Baertschi Horvat Boeser/Erickson

Sedin Sedin Grandlund

Goldobin Sutter Erickson/Boeser 

Dorsett Chaput Gaunce

Labate

Edler Stetcher

Tryamkin Hutton

Tanev Gudbranson

Markstrom 

Bachman

I'd expect Juolevi to be a Canuck next year, while we still have veternan NHL defenders in the lineup to mentor him.

I'd also start to be concerned if Jake Virtanen has failed to stick with the team next season.

Otherwise I think you're right. I expect us to be near the bottom of the standings again next season, with or without winning the lottery this year. It's almost unheard to send the number 1 overall pick back to junior, but I wouldn't expect Patrick to have an immediate impact on the team, even if he is gifted his spot because of his status as the number 1.

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Wrong - Vegas chooses no lower than 6th.

Oh I swear I heard 3rd or better for new expansion.  Regardless, I still think they should take Liljegren to solidify our defence for the future. By doing so, we can trade Tanev for help upfront, think Hall for Larsson. 

1 minute ago, Doogie said:

Oh I swear I heard 3rd or better for new expansion.  Regardless, I still think they should take Liljegren to solidify our defence for the future. By doing so, we can trade Tanev for help upfront, think Hall for Larsson. 

Tanev for Duchene you think?

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎19 at 10:17 AM, xereau said:

The future begins when the Sedins and Edler are no longer Canucks.

pretty much this, the future truly begins once our entire 2011 cup roster is gone, minus Tanev.

Sedins and Edler are the only ones left.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tanev for Duchene you think?

I'm not sold on Duchene, I was thinking more along the lines of Domi for Tanev. Arizona has come out and said they want help on the right side with OEL, Tanev would fit in perfectly. But I think Arizona should add a pick coming back our way. Yes they have Chychrun but he isn't quite ready for a first pairing role. 

Also, if you read my earlier post I think Sbisa, Sutter, and our two 2nd's for Reinhart would be great for the Canucks as well as Buffalo. It helps both teams, the Canucks with a young centerman and Buffalo with help on the PK, faceoffs and on defensive side. Remember our own 2nd round pick is going to be in the 32-36 range basically a late first, add in the Columbus 2nd and it's a pretty good trade. We might need to eat some salary but I'm sure we can pull it off. 

1 minute ago, Doogie said:

I'm not sold on Duchene, I was thinking more along the lines of Domi for Tanev. Arizona has come out and said they want help on the right side with OEL, Tanev would fit in perfectly. But I think Arizona should add a pick coming back our way. 

Also, if you read my earlier post I think Sbisa, Sutter, and our two 2nd's for Reinhart would be great for the Canucks as well as Buffalo. It helps both teams, the Canucks with a young centerman and Buffalo with help on the PK, faceoffs and on defensive side. Remember our own 2nd round pick is going to be in the 32-36 range basically a late first, add in the Columbus 2nd and it's a pretty good trade. 

These two trades are EXCELLENT!  Please phone JB:)

Just now, Alflives said:

These two trades are EXCELLENT!  Please phone JB:)

Find me the number and I'll get on it right away LOL. 

Sometimes I feel CDC should have a rep in contact with the Canucks front office just to insure they don't miss out on certain opportunities. 

1 hour ago, cbdoubleu said:

I'd expect Juolevi to be a Canuck next year, while we still have veternan NHL defenders in the lineup to mentor him.

I'd also start to be concerned if Jake Virtanen has failed to stick with the team next season.

Otherwise I think you're right. I expect us to be near the bottom of the standings again next season, with or without winning the lottery this year. It's almost unheard to send the number 1 overall pick back to junior, but I wouldn't expect Patrick to have an immediate impact on the team, even if he is gifted his spot because of his status as the number 1.

Completely agreed. It's hard to be able to predict any kind of line up and forecast trades to for sake to ease i just mentioned barring trades. I would not be surprised though if Tanev was traded to open a spot for Juolevi if he's ready. With Virtanen, he's going to need to find a way into our top 9 of he's going to stay. There's going to be a lot of competition next year for spots between Boeser Goldobin Virtanen and a possible top two pick.

On 19/03/2017 at 1:00 PM, billabong said:

The future begins when the sedins retire. God love them, but i wish they were gone this year so we could just roll the dice on the youth and truly start building towards something without still catering towards the sedins. 

As soon as I saw this thread my first thought was nothing much different until the Sedins retire.  Not sure how effective they will be as a third line .... 

Goaltending and defense still huge question marks.  Is Demko one of these guys that is better in the NHL?  Can he be a top ten goalie or will the team trade or sign for one?  Is Juolevi a number one defenseman or a servicable second pairing ( or a dud for that matter)

The team can't completely launch a rebuild until the Sedins move on.  It sucks to say this given what theyve done for the franchise but at this point we are probably better without them ( giving Benning 14 million more to work with).    IF they want to resign for another year or two I hope Linden doesn't approve anything more than what there current production warrents and considers hard what else is available and where the money is best spent.

I hate to say it but this team isn't going anywhere until it can work with a cleaner slate.  If we sign another LE type this summer Benning should be fired.  Same with the coach if Megna keeps the prospect pipe glued shut upfront.  

On 19/03/2017 at 1:00 PM, billabong said:

Baertschi-horvat-eriksson

goldobin-sutter-boeser

boucher-granlund-virtanen

xxxxx-xxxxx-dorsett

Live and die with youth is the way to go. 

Archived