The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future begins next year

Bur14Kes17

On March 19, 2017 at 2:29 PM, backhandsauce said:

Who are our top 5 players right now?

Could they be Horvat, Stetcher, Granlund, Tyramkin, Baertschi ?

Yea...no shot "Vancouvers kids are able to develop with Willie"

Willies top 5 or everyone else's top 5? Big difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Next year is literally the beginning of a new era. JB has almost completely changed the roster as only 4 players remain from the 2011 cup team (Sedins, Edler, and Tanev). The most likely of the 4 to remain longterm is Tanev, and in 2011 I wouldn't consider Tanev a core part of the team as he was new to the team. So with Edler likely traded in the Offseason and the Sedins beginning the countdown the new era is ready to take over. 

We are already seeing the new core develop and there is some nice talent. Just look at players like Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Boeser, Stecher, Tryamkin, and Hutton have been playing, they already look like solid players and they all still have room to grow. 

Then on top of those listed above we have budding stars (hopefully) in:

Juolevi

Demko

Virtanen 

Gaudette

& this year's pick

Next year I think after camp and preseason our roster looks like this (Sedins split)

Baertschi Bo Boeser

Virtanen Sedin Eriksson

Sedin Sutter Granlund

Goldobin XXXXX Dahlen

XXXXX - NP, Hischer, Gaunce, UFA? 

4th line has potential to be 2nd liner by year end.

Our D? Biggest question mark is Juolevi, will he be ready? I feel he will be given those 9 games and then told to work on his weaknesses in the Utica or London (if possible I'd like to see him in Utica).

If he makes it I think we go into the year with these pairings.

Juolevi Tanev

Tryamkin Stecher

Hutton Gudbranson

Biega/Sbisa/UFA

What would our roster look like without the Sedins in 2 years if they do retire? 

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

Goldobin Hischier Dahlen

Baertschi Granlund Gaudette 

Eriksson Sutter Boucher

Juolevi Stecher

Tryamkin Gudbranson 

Hutton Tanev

Demko

Eriksson - 6M (future trade bait)

Horvat - 5M

Sutter - 4.5M (possible trade bait)

Baertschi - 3.5M (request trade?)

Granlund - 3.5M

Boeser - bridge, 3M

Virtanen - bridge, 2-3M

Goldobin - bridge, 1.5-2.5M

Boucher - 1.5M

ELC - Hischier, Dahlen Gaudette (2.5M?)

Total spent on FWDs = 36M (max)

Tanev - 4.5

Stecher - 4.5M

Gudbranson - 4M

Tryamkin - bridge, 3M

Hutton - bridge, 3M

Juolevi - ELC, 1M?

Total spent on D = 20M

That leaves about 20M or more remaining to look at goaltending, depth, and RFA signings for our young guys. 

The guys I bolder I want JB to approach with the MG plan. Sign to long term contracts with a NMC and save us some cap. 

I love how this team is shaping up. Even more than the spoiled Oilers future outlook.. their window shuts halfway when McDavid commands 11+M and Draisitl and Puljujarvi want extentions. 

We don't have any eye popping stars that will command huge dollars, we are building a 4 line team with a solid mix of talent with a solid 2 way game and elite goaltending. We are building a winner.

BELIEVE IN LINDEN & BENNING

BELIEVE IN THE FUTURE

BELIEVE  BELIEVE BELIEVE

On 3/20/2017 at 10:53 PM, IBatch said:

As soon as I saw this thread my first thought was nothing much different until the Sedins retire.  Not sure how effective they will be as a third line .... 

Goaltending and defense still huge question marks.  Is Demko one of these guys that is better in the NHL?  Can he be a top ten goalie or will the team trade or sign for one?  Is Juolevi a number one defenseman or a servicable second pairing ( or a dud for that matter)

The team can't completely launch a rebuild until the Sedins move on.  It sucks to say this given what theyve done for the franchise but at this point we are probably better without them ( giving Benning 14 million more to work with).    IF they want to resign for another year or two I hope Linden doesn't approve anything more than what there current production warrents and considers hard what else is available and where the money is best spent.

I hate to say it but this team isn't going anywhere until it can work with a cleaner slate.  If we sign another LE type this summer Benning should be fired.  Same with the coach if Megna keeps the prospect pipe glued shut upfront.  

You were doing alright until you imploded with this.

Firstly LE may yet be a great player for us as far as production (although I would have preferred someone with a bit of "bite") Secondly our team has been packed with as much youth as was practical and I doubt given the calibre of those who didn't get in, any other coach would have done any better and many would have done a lot worse.

46 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Next year is literally the beginning of a new era. JB has almost completely changed the roster as only 4 players remain from the 2011 cup team (Sedins, Edler, and Tanev). The most likely of the 4 to remain longterm is Tanev, and in 2011 I wouldn't consider Tanev a core part of the team as he was new to the team. So with Edler likely traded in the Offseason and the Sedins beginning the countdown the new era is ready to take over. 

We are already seeing the new core develop and there is some nice talent. Just look at players like Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Boeser, Stecher, Tryamkin, and Hutton have been playing, they already look like solid players and they all still have room to grow. 

Then on top of those listed above we have budding stars (hopefully) in:

Juolevi

Demko

Virtanen 

Gaudette

& this year's pick

Next year I think after camp and preseason our roster looks like this (Sedins split)

Baertschi Bo Boeser

Virtanen Sedin Eriksson

Sedin Sutter Granlund

Goldobin XXXXX Dahlen

XXXXX - NP, Hischer, Gaunce, UFA? 

4th line has potential to be 2nd liner by year end.

Our D? Biggest question mark is Juolevi, will he be ready? I feel he will be given those 9 games and then told to work on his weaknesses in the Utica or London (if possible I'd like to see him in Utica).

If he makes it I think we go into the year with these pairings.

Juolevi Tanev

Tryamkin Stecher

Hutton Gudbranson

Biega/Sbisa/UFA

What would our roster look like without the Sedins in 2 years if they do retire? 

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

Goldobin Hischier Dahlen

Baertschi Granlund Gaudette 

Eriksson Sutter Boucher

Juolevi Stecher

Tryamkin Gudbranson 

Hutton Tanev

Demko

Eriksson - 6M (future trade bait)

Horvat - 5M

Sutter - 4.5M (possible trade bait)

Baertschi - 3.5M (request trade?)

Granlund - 3.5M

Boeser - bridge, 3M

Virtanen - bridge, 2-3M

Goldobin - bridge, 1.5-2.5M

Boucher - 1.5M

ELC - Hischier, Dahlen Gaudette (2.5M?)

Total spent on FWDs = 36M (max)

Tanev - 4.5

Stecher - 4.5M

Gudbranson - 4M

Tryamkin - bridge, 3M

Hutton - bridge, 3M

Juolevi - ELC, 1M?

Total spent on D = 20M

That leaves about 20M or more remaining to look at goaltending, depth, and RFA signings for our young guys. 

The guys I bolder I want JB to approach with the MG plan. Sign to long term contracts with a NMC and save us some cap. 

I love how this team is shaping up. Even more than the spoiled Oilers future outlook.. their window shuts halfway when McDavid commands 11+M and Draisitl and Puljujarvi want extentions. 

We don't have any eye popping stars that will command huge dollars, we are building a 4 line team with a solid mix of talent with a solid 2 way game and elite goaltending. We are building a winner.

BELIEVE IN LINDEN & BENNING

BELIEVE IN THE FUTURE

BELIEVE  BELIEVE BELIEVE

Easy to see it's not your own money you are handing out with alacrity. All these players are being overpaid imo.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

You were doing alright until you imploded with this.

Firstly LE may yet be a great player for us as far as production (although I would have preferred someone with a bit of "bite") Secondly our team has been packed with as much youth as was practical and I doubt given the calibre of those who didn't get in, any other coach would have done any better and many would have done a lot worse.

Thanks!  Like usual started rambling.   To extrapolate on LE - that cap space is needed later if we do that again ( sign somebody who is 31 to six million for six year at this stage in our cycle I stand by what I say I think Benning should be fired) we can only afford one guy like this eating up cap for players we will need it for later.   LE sucked the first year he was in Boston so maybe he will turn it around BUT for that amount of coin we should be getting at least 50 points.  

The Megna crack given we are far out of the  a playoffs and it's the best time to give new guys a look which they have been doing with Boesser.  

Also wondering if we share the same time zone given when you posted - are you also a displaced Canuck fan out East?

On 2017-03-19 at 11:07 AM, S'all Good Man said:

If we're waiting for "generational talent" then buckle up for a generation of draft disappointment. 

I wouldn't classify Kopitar, Doughty and Quick as "generational" and we're developing guys with that ceiling. With guys like this and a good coach we've got as good a chance as any team. 

Agree 

we keep trying to blame the Sedins but frankly the useless coach was the biggest issue 

everyone will witness their rebirth (within reason) with a real coach next year 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Thanks!  Like usual started rambling.   To extrapolate on LE - that cap space is needed later if we do that again ( sign somebody who is 31 to six million for six year at this stage in our cycle I stand by what I say I think Benning should be fired) we can only afford one guy like this eating up cap for players we will need it for later.   LE sucked the first year he was in Boston so maybe he will turn it around BUT for that amount of coin we should be getting at least 50 points.  

The Megna crack given we are far out of the  a playoffs and it's the best time to give new guys a look which they have been doing with Boesser.  

Also wondering if we share the same time zone given when you posted - are you also a displaced Canuck fan out East?

No I'm a chronic insomniac. :( 

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Agree 

we keep trying to blame the Sedins but frankly the useless coach was the biggest issue 

everyone will witness their rebirth (within reason) with a real coach next year 

Willie seems fine at being friends with the guys but he's simply not a good bench coach. Someone recently posted the power play stats for the Sedin's, any coach that stubborn to keep marching that out, thinking adding in Megna over and over would change it? Ridiculous. Willie topped at NHL assistant coach, thats quite an achievement and he could be having the exact same impact in that role. 

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

No I'm a chronic insomniac. :( 

Dude that sucks.  Been there before get some zoplicone if you need it.  Losing too much sleep catches up with you and eventually you do something stupid like post we will win the cup before the decade is out.

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes, I heard he will be exposed to expansion.  But, if you're Vegas, would you rather have Megna or Sbisa/Gaunce?

Yeah I've said that before, Vegas won't be dumb to pick up Megna over those two.

On 19/03/2017 at 11:26 AM, billabong said:

They could accomplish the same with marky with a good back up. This team needs to give marky the ball and see what he can do with it. 

Live and die with the next chapter

Miller has been reported to be going back Cali to be a back up so he can be closer to his wife and kid anyways 

I agree.  Bring in a 1A to share with Markstrom.  There are a ton to choose from this year: Chad Johnson, Ondrej Pavelec, Steve Mason, Peter Budaj, Jonathan Bernier.  Granted some of these guys might ask for too much money, but there are so many goalies on the market I'll bet some of them come at a steal of a deal.  I'd rather have this option than resigning Miller.

Archived