The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Markus Granlund to undergo wrist surgery

b3.

Just now, Sygvard said:

Yeah I feel like I am more worried about the medical implications of repeated strain on a severe injury. And what is involved in that decision making process. Surely the Canucks have medical professionals in place to avoid situations where young players feel like they need to risk their long term performance and health in order to push through injury. 

Torn ligaments are no joke. Granny is a trooper, but he needs a better judgement call there. 

Like the same medical people who pushed Rodin?

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

I'd blame the loose knee pad and the ice in Calgary before I blame the medical staff as far as Rodin is concerned.

I think the surgeon said Rodin has a naturally split knee cap, and it made his knee get worse.  Sounds like they guy needed that fixed, before he stepped back on the ice.  The Canucks Missing that split knee cap sounds like it was a bid deal.

37 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

What are the implications of him playing through this kind of injury? I'm just worried about that.

I imagine that playing through it and medicating it over the course of the season wouldn't have had too many implications, otherwise he would have gone under the knife as soon as it started to bother him.

Anyways, pretty damned impressive he was able to do what he did with a bum wrist. Imagine what he'll be able to do at 100%.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think the surgeon said Rodin has a naturally split knee cap, and it made his knee get worse.  Sounds like they guy needed that fixed, before he stepped back on the ice.  The Canucks Missing that split knee cap sounds like it was a bid deal.

Sounds to me that the Canucks' medical staff knew exactly what they were dealing with as per this article on January 18th.

The article in part says:

"The procedure to repair the quadriceps tendon changed the mechanics of Rodin’s knee and caused inflammation of the joint. Rodin’s kneecap also has two bones instead of the normal one, and because they haven’t fused, it created stress in the joint and the inflammation of bones."

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-rodin-had-issues-from-the-get-go-after-surgery

His agent on twitter said 3-5 months...so eta should be good for training camp, but won't be able to train/strengthen it as much.

Seems like wrist injuries are becoming more and more common.  Wonder if there are ways for physiotherapists, strength and conditioning professionals can help find a way to change this, better workout regimens to strengthen the wrist or workouts that avoid such problems.

2 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

His agent on twitter said 3-5 months...so eta should be good for training camp, but won't be able to train/strengthen it as much.

Seems like wrist injuries are becoming more and more common.  Wonder if there are ways for physiotherapists, strength and conditioning professionals can help find a way to change this, better workout regimens to strengthen the wrist or workouts that avoid such problems.

Meaning he won't have a good summer of training and will be behind all season.

Every time we have a promising young player, there's something there to hold them back. Never fails.

Just now, Rick Blight said:

Sounds to me that the Canucks' medical staff knew exactly what they were dealing with as per this article on January 18th.

The article in part says:

"The procedure to repair the quadriceps tendon changed the mechanics of Rodin’s knee and caused inflammation of the joint. Rodin’s kneecap also has two bones instead of the normal one, and because they haven’t fused, it created stress in the joint and the inflammation of bones."

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-rodin-had-issues-from-the-get-go-after-surgery

I read that too.  Why didn't the medical staff know the surgery would have this consequence?  Why did they keep trying to rehab, when clearly there was no chance for that to work?  I accept doctors make mistakes, and that's likely what happened here.  

Just now, DeNiro said:

Every time we have a promising young player, there's something there to hold them back. Never fails.

Why didn't we get him surgery back at the TDL, when we (obviously) threw in the towel?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Why didn't we get him surgery back at the TDL, when we (obviously) threw in the towel?

Because this team values winning more than the long term health of players?

Didn't they fire their medical staff? Why are we still playing injured players...

50 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

19 goals with a trashed wrist? Hmmm.....maybe we don't have the lesser Granlund.

Agreed. 

Added to the province article:

Finnish hockey writer Tommi Seppälä revealed Wednesday that Granlund has been playing since October with “broken” ligaments in his wrist. That’s a serious injury. It’s not far from what Erik Gudbranson was dealing with when his season came to a halt in December.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Didn't they fire their medical staff? Why are we still playing injured players...

No , I would assume granlund just didnt whine about it. He is apperently very quiet and almost never complains. He wasnt even wearing a brace. Kid is a champ. Dont forget they shut down guddy for basically the same thing. 

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Is it JB's job to oversee the medical stuff, or is that Trevor?  

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Doesn't stop him from lower-body training and conditioning, same as Gudbranson who may yet see some games.

I'm confused by why everyone's confused. They initially thought it was something that could be treated with rest and rehab. They rested it. They rehabbed it. They set a deadline and it wasn't better so now they're trying surgery. Sounds pretty cut and dry to me.

Just now, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

I'm confused by why everyone's confused. They initially thought it was something that could be treated with rest and rehab. They rested it. They rehabbed it. They set a deadline and it wasn't better so now they're trying surgery. Sounds pretty cut and dry to me.

Yep. Granny probably just downplayed it. 

2 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

No , I would assume granlund just didnt whine about it. He is apperently very quiet and almost never complains. He wasnt even wearing a brace. Kid is a champ. Dont forget they shut down guddy for basically the same thing. 

Him whining about it doesn't mean he should have been playing and risking further injury.

I'm sure the medical staff were well aware of it. Seems like they gave him some bad advice.

Archived