The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Markus Granlund to undergo wrist surgery

b3.

15 minutes ago, mll said:

Eriksson is not travelling otherwise he would likely be the one on that line.  Goldy will at least miss two games so it's Boucher's opportunity for now.  Listening to WD the concern seems to be his defensive game as they play a lot against the other teams top scoring lines.

He's was practicing on the PP unit with Horvat and Baer too - and Stecher-Hutton. 

Honestly I would rather see this in our top 9 when Eeiksson is back:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boucher

Sedin-Sedin-Goldobin

Megna-Chaput-Eriksson

(Sutter shut down)

Or 

Baertschi-Horvat-Goldobin

Sedin-Sedin-Boucher

Megna-Chaput-Eriksson

(Sutter shut down)

17 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

They should shut down Sutter imo. He is obviously struggling a lot winning faceoffs and shooting. No sense still playing him 20 min per game.

Sutter is not suffering from an injury at all, according to WD and JB. 

But if that's the case then knock up another terrible signing on JB. If he is truly playing healthy, then I don't know how anyone could argue he is not vastly overpaid.

15 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Honestly I would rather see this in our top 9 when Eeiksson is back:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boucher

Sedin-Sedin-Goldobin

Megna-Chaput-Eriksson

(Sutter shut down)

Or 

Baertschi-Horvat-Goldobin

Sedin-Sedin-Boucher

Megna-Chaput-Eriksson

(Sutter shut down)

The problem is, the Sedins have always needed a digger on their line. 
Somebody with speed who can cause chaos on the boards and get them the puck.
And also get into scoring areas afterwards.
And then also score.

This is why they've had so many players on the wing over the years. There are a lot of things the 3rd guy there has to do really well for the whole line to work.

Although Boucher and Goldobin are both apt shooters and passers, they aren't diggers, and they aren't fast.

sigh........... 

12 minutes ago, kilgore said:

But if that's the case then knock up another terrible signing on JB. If he is truly playing healthy, then I don't know how anyone could argue he is not vastly overpaid.

Well that makes about as much sense as.... everything else that doesn't make any sense.

Before the whole wrist issue (which I mentioned he's also been dealing with since 2013) Sutter was twice the player he was after it.

He has NOT been the same guy, tipping pucks out of mid air, sniping corners with that wrister, and generally just being a really gap-aware player.

Seriously. This is a world class play and he makes it look like you could do it in your sleep:

He's on pace for 33 points which matches his 2nd best year. He only managed more once. Carolina 2010 with 40 pts.

The difference now is he's struggling defensively and I'm going to (rightly or wrongly) attribute that to the constant revolving door of line mates.
It's something he likely hasn't had to deal with to this extent in his career.

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Didn't but they say not long ago he is suffering an injury but they didn't think he needed surgery?

On another note, this opens a roster spot for Boeser.

North Dakota plays Boston University this Thursday (March 24th)

If ND wins, they go on to the Frozen Four and their season won't end before ours does.

If they lose, then Boeser could immediately sign with us. His coach seems to think he could step right in and contribute:

Rick Dhaliwal of News 1130 Sports had a talk with University of North Dakota head coach Brad Berry, who sounds very confident about Boeser’s development.

He probably could go and make an impact,” Berry said about his top player. “If he feels he’s ready, he’s ready.

There is a lot of smoke around the Canucks willingness to sign him and bring him in for the rest of his season. Doing so would burn the first year off his ELC, which is a big carrot to dangle for a college player because it means they're automatically 1 year closer to having arbitration rights and free agency. Plus the $$$$$ obviously. 

They have to decide where though. If he signs with the Canucks he'll burn that first year and can't be sent down to Utica (until next year)

If he signs a Pro Tryout and goes to Utica, he'll get playoff experience, (more meaningful and less pressure) but nowhere near the $$$ and his ELC won't kick in until next year - meaning he also has to wait the full 3 years for arbitration rights/free agency. 

Hang on to your hats!

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Didn't but they say not long ago he is suffering an injury but they didn't think he needed surgery?

Wonder if it's something like carpal tunnel....rest will help improve that.  

Brandon Sutter had four shot attempts Saturday, and despite just three assists in his last 18 National Hockey League games, he’ll continue to play through a heavily-bandaged right wrist and won’t need surgery.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/wrist-surgery-will-sideline-canucks-winger-markus-granlund

Reid Boucher will replace Granlund on a line with Bo Horvat and Sven Baertschi when the Canucks open a four-game road trip Tuesday in Chicago. Michael Chaput will skate with Henrik and Daniel Sedin, but replacing Granlund’s skill, will and versatility won’t be easy.

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

oT2p2aE.png

12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Reid Boucher will replace Granlund on a line with Bo Horvat and Sven Baertschi when the Canucks open a four-game road trip Tuesday in Chicago. Michael Chaput will skate with Henrik and Daniel Sedin, but replacing Granlund’s skill, will and versatility won’t be easy.

I'd put Biega with the twins.

He has been an absolute cannon ball out there the last few weeks. Smashing guys twice his size - and convincingly. What are they feeding that guy? (Obviously not the same thing that's making everyone else sick)

The twins need a ball buster on their line. Somebody who's going to get in there and dig pucks out for them and then go to the net.

What can it hurt to try? We've already seen all these other guys with them....

27 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

On another note, this opens a roster spot for Boeser.

North Dakota plays Boston University this Thursday (March 24th)

If ND wins, they go on to the Frozen Four and their season won't end before ours does.

If they lose, then Boeser could immediately sign with us. His coach seems to think he could step right in and contribute:

There is a lot of smoke around the Canucks willingness to sign him and bring him in for the rest of his season. Doing so would burn the first year off his ELC, which is a big carrot to dangle for a college player because it means they're automatically 1 year closer to having arbitration rights and free agency. 

They have to decide where though. If he signs with the Canucks he'll burn that first year and can't be sent down to Utica (until next year)

If he signs a Pro Tryout and goes to Utica, he'll get playoff experience, (more meaningful and less pressure) but nowhere near the $$$ and his ELC won't kick in until next year - meaning he also has to wait the full 3 years for arbitration rights/free agency. 

Hang on to your hats!

Its Boeser who will decide and I can't imagine him passing on burning a year off his elc

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

Its Boeser who will decide and I can't imagine him passing on burning a year off his elc

By "they" I meant it was a conversation they will have with him, to be sure.

But I agree, all things considered I don't see why he wouldn't jump right in. It's not like we don't have room and/or are competing for anything other than pride. 

His coach said he'd probably be able to do just that. 

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

On 1040 earlier today it was either Dave Tomlinson or John Abbott that said Sutter's wrist/hand is wrapped up a lot.

Archived