The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] We should trade to draft Gabriel Vilardi

1 hour ago, Zoolander said:

Vilardi's stat line isn't that impressive and he doesn't have Bo's compete level on his shifts. I wouldn't draft him in the top 5, I'd take Middelstadt instead.

1. Patrick

2. Hischier

3. Middelstadt

4. Pettersson 

5. Liljegren

vilardi isnt in my top ten hes like a point a game which isnt very good   my top 5 would be

1. hischier

2. liljegren 

3. patrick

4 middelstadt 

5 petterson 

we will be picking  top 1-5 depending on lotto  hope we get lucky 

if anything id trade edler, tanev and sutter in offseason 

for some prospects and  draft picks 

best case scenario would draft hischier and liljegren  and role with youth and trade sedins at deadline

4 hours ago, Tigs said:

We should move up to draft Hischier.

How about not trade anyone and if we're 4/5th we take Middlstadt - He is going to be the best of them all and is going to be a steal at 4/5

One Villardi- haven't seen him play but read his skating is suspect - we don't need that if so

Vilardi would be an ok consolation prize if we don't get into the top three. Don't think he has the potential to outscore Horvat though. I would pick from who's available in this order:

Hischier

Patrick

Liljegren 

Vilardi

Mittelstadt

Necas

Tolvanen

Canucks desperately need to get into that top-three though. Hope we don't get screwed by the lottery again.

Vilardi seems like a high risk high reward pick and could be the best of the bunch. 1.5PPG in the OHL as a 17 year old is nuts, he'll be blowing that out of the water as an 18 year old, AHL as a 20 year old and full-time NHLer at 21 straight to the 3rd line as a big center. The closest anyone's seen to a Getzlaf/Kopitar in a while.

That being said if we're picking 4-7th I think we trade up to nab Hirschier. Otherwise, take Vilardi if JB thinks he's our man, if not, take Liljegren because he's another high-risk, high-reward picks who may end up being a future Norris-trophy defenceman. Gives us arguably the best young defence in the West.

4 hours ago, dank.sinatra said:

Canucks desperately need to get into that top-three though. Hope we don't get screwed by the lottery again.

The chances of getting a top 3 spot in the lottery are NOT good.

Even if we finish second last, ahead of the Avs...

...there is only a 33% chance that we pick in the top 3.

Let that sink in!

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Vilardi seems like a high risk high reward pick and could be the best of the bunch. 1.5PPG in the OHL as a 17 year old is nuts, he'll be blowing that out of the water as an 18 year old, AHL as a 20 year old and full-time NHLer at 21 straight to the 3rd line as a big center. The closest anyone's seen to a Getzlaf/Kopitar in a while.

That being said if we're picking 4-7th I think we trade up to nab Hirschier. Otherwise, take Vilardi if JB thinks he's our man, if not, take Liljegren because he's another high-risk, high-reward picks who may end up being a future Norris-trophy defenceman. Gives us arguably the best young defence in the West.

It's likely we will be in the 5-7 range. Trading up to the top 3 is going to cost us quite a lot in assets.

And let's remember that this draft is on the weak side. I think you can't be sure that a top 3 pick will develop into a top player.

If we win a top 3 spot in the lottery- then that's great and we should take BPA.

I'd rather use our existing assets to secure a young 1/2C that has more of a proven potential.

17 hours ago, smithers joe said:

everybody wants someone different. we better leave that up to benning. 

I'm pretty good with that option :)

I think he's shown, over and over again, that he's a good judge of talent, especially in later rounds. Exceptional of finding the kids who have a lot of raw skill, but need some guidance and refinement.

Teams rarely trade away their top 5 picks away these days... and even when they do its to move down and add alot of prospects in return.

by the route we are going we'll get a top 5 pick, moving up is one thing, trading for another top 5 pick outright is another beast in its own and is just not going to happen.

if anything we'd be best to get a pick in the 15-20 range and try to find someone who fell in the draft but has crazy upside... Kinda like what Arizona did in drafting Chychrun last year.

i'm wondering if there are any prospect this draft, that can make the nhl next season? 

how many of our prospects can be expected to make the team next year?

can boeser, juolevi, dahlen, goldobin, virtanen or brisebois come in and make a difference next year? 

if none can make this team next year, can this fan base survive another down year?

I think JB will try to acquire another 1st round pick buuuuuut I think it will be from a previous draft. I could see JB targeting Rubtsov from Philly that would seem like a really JB thing to do and I would be pretty ok with that if he did.

Dahlen Rubtsov Goldoben could turn into one scary good combination. 

"June 2016 – The Philadelphia Flyers picked German Rubtsov with the 22nd overall pick.

April 2016 – German Rubtsov is an exceptionally talented two-way center that can be the driving offensive force on a line. With elite playmaking ability and shot with above average speed and velocity, Rubtsov can kill a team in multiple ways. Capable of shutting down other team’s top lines as well as driving the play in the opposite direction, his agile skating and deft hands allow Rubtsov to change the momentum on the ice in a hurry. Strong down low for his size, Rubtsov is more of a pass first player at this point since his vision and creativity enable him to create time and space for his line mates. Physically willing to engage and highly compettive, he is able to shield the puck from defenders while spotting teammates with pinpoint passes on the rush, seemingly with eyes in the back of his head. - Aynsley Scott"

On 2017-03-20 at 1:45 PM, Matt_T83 said:

Why do you think I'm wrong, out of curiosity? I have a PhD and I'm working on statistical models for the NHL draft, and late bloomers have a much better chance of transitioning to the NHL. 

I love this ! Exactly why I think we should be drafting Makar. Late bloomer and fastest riser in the draft rankings this year. He is going to be an absolute stud!

I think this draft is going to have a lot of surprises. Because fans and scouts have players all over the map. Nolan Patrick's injury woes might affect things at the draft. 

If the Canucks get 1st or 2nd overall, and Patrick is available, do the Canucks draft him or pass? 

On 2017-03-26 at 6:18 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think this draft is going to have a lot of surprises. Because fans and scouts have players all over the map. Nolan Patrick's injury woes might affect things at the draft. 

If the Canucks get 1st or 2nd overall, and Patrick is available, do the Canucks draft him or pass? 

With Benning in the first round we know he can surprise :P so I'm not ruling anything out. He could very well take Liljigren 1rst overall. Jims the wild card lol

On 2017-03-20 at 2:41 PM, Tigs said:

Patrick and Hischier both have that special thing that can't be taught which is the ability to drive the play and create opportunities on their own. Vilardi also plays with Brown and Sergachev.

Have you watched Vilardi play? The guy creates his own chances and makes nice plays.

Archived