The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft Woes

fourtwentyfour

hi guys, so i always knew that the canucks had many years of bad draffting but i was watching a podcast on youtube called the hockey guy and i just found out how bad it really was. i'll link the video but here are the basic break downs of who could be playing right now for the canucks if we drafted them instead of who we picked.

Anze Kopitar - Luc Bourdon
Claude Giroux -  Michael Grabner

David Perron - patrick white
Erik Karlson - Cody Hodgeson
Rickard Rakell - Nickolas Jensen
Tanner Pearson, Brady Skjei  - Brenden Gaunce

William Nylander - Jake Virtanen

David Pastrnak - Jared McCann

now tell me thats not a contending team. i skiped a few years of the right picks. but let me know what you guys think. 

By the way, that 2014 draft is still too early to tell. Neither Virtanen nor McCann have been showing much but they are still very young. Virtanen is looking like he's turning it around, don't know how McCann's doing but I do remember he was in the line-up at one point this season.

Also I've seen some of Hockey Guy's videos and I don't really agree with him a lot. He takes the Hockey News seriously.

OP is a bit off-base on the Nylander-Jake comparison, Jake has not had the AHL development time yet that flamingo boy had. Sounds like Jake is picking up some good work ethic this year and I expect him to be a beast in 1-2 years. 

Yeah, sorry you just can't do that!.....there is lots of talent every team passes up on.......

Over the long haul it has been the desire to no be in the basement that has done us in, through the 70's, 80's and most of the 90's we were a middle of the road team

No elite players.....except Bure, and he was picked in the 6th round, with a whole lot of luck

Too good for the basement, and not good enough for the penthouse

22 minutes ago, fourtwentyfour said:

hi guys, so i always knew that the canucks had many years of bad draffting but i was watching a podcast on youtube called the hockey guy and i just found out how bad it really was. i'll link the video but here are the basic break downs of who could be playing right now for the canucks if we drafted them instead of who we picked.

I'd like to request that you do a list of past winning lotto numbers so that we can reflect on all of our poor choices, and not just those of past GM's.

Not to defend Gillis' drafting but where he picked most the league passed on the same guys and with the exception of Bo and that stupid year he took older players he just picked the overall BPA's

Also I believe Luc was the right pick. Kid just had it. Really a shame 

Benning, as much as I don't like his GM'ing it's too early to rate his record and Nonis sucked at everything except taking a gift from keenen

27 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

Pretty dumb way to look at it. Besides some of the real head-scratchers like the Virtanen and White pick, it's hard to blame JB and our previous GMs for most of those picks.

Why is Virtanen's spot a head scratcher when that is where he was ranked?

9 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Not to defend Gillis' drafting but where he picked most the league passed on the same guys and with the exception of Bo and that stupid year he took older players he just picked the overall BPA's

Also I believe Luc was the right pick. Kid just had it. Really a shame 

Agreed.  Fans were getting impatient with him but he was beginning to show flashes of the player he was for Canada paired with Letang.  In my opinion he was a better prospect than Juolevi (and I like Juolevi).

The loss on the ice is rightly second to the loss to his loved ones, but saying Bourdon was a bad pick is ridiculous, not to mention in exceptionally poor taste.

Archived