The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft Woes

fourtwentyfour

I like what canucks management  has done so far i always look forward to the NHL draft, these are just young men 17-20 yrs of age 

depends on college as well. it doesn't matter where u get drafted as long as your drafted and every year a player gets passed over 7 times  sometimes it's 14 times( 2+ draft year) or more . it's called late bloomers. i for one agree the age should be raised to 19-20 yrs of age.

On 3/21/2017 at 1:23 PM, Butters Stoch said:

Never had much hockey IQ to start with so many considered him a pretty high risk pick while we still had some guys with high end skill to pick from. To me, at least, the pick was easily narrowed down to 2 players for us to choose from.. I don't think I need to specify which guys since it was pretty obvious.

i know what you are saying but could JB really turn down the chance to draft a big, hard hitting BC born - Canuck loving prospect?  

On 3/21/2017 at 2:26 PM, Harvey Spector said:

Our woes are gone. We now have a draft guru. Jack Gordon is not running our draft any longer. Jim Benning is the man in change. 

Nikita Tryamkin

Thatcher Demko

Brock Boeser

Ollli Juolevi 

Adam Gaudette

Guillaume Brisebois

Right there we have potentially 6 impact players from Benning's 3 drafts. Of course Virtanen is still a wild card. He could be a bust or he could be Bertuzzi 2.0. We don't know yet. Throw in Lockwood, Olson, Neill and Zhukenov and you have 3 pretty stellar draft years with really no busts as of yet. Also we have Gudbranson from the McCann trade so he's indirectly a part of the drafting of Benning. 

hockey futures ranked the Canucks at # 24 in 2013-14 and # 14 in 2015-16, and that's with a graduated horvat and not factoring in juolevi.   

on a side note, i'm shocked at how high most people rank gudbranson.  imo, unless he's willing to give the team a break on term or salary, then he is expendable; i just don't see a role for him with the team with the emergence of hutton, stetcher, and especially tryamkin, who possesses a similar skill set.  add in vets like tanev and edler, and a spot for juolevi, and there's the top 6 for the next 3 years. i guess some may argue that edler should go, but eric is hardly an offensive player - he's a 10-15 pts. a year player, and lets not forget that it is highly unlikely edler ever waives his ntc. i would be disappointed if the canucks offered eric anymore than 2-3 years at 3 million a year.

Archived