The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are you listening to? Metal version!

Rate this topic

Coconuts

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

German metal!   Saw them at Kavarna.   Reminded me so much of a US 80s band....clearly they are influenced by Ratt and similar.   Very melodic and catchy.   A lot "lighter" than most metal in Europe....nice to be different sometimes.   

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

German metal!   Saw them at Kavarna.   Reminded me so much of a US 80s band....clearly they are influenced by Ratt and similar.   Very melodic and catchy.   A lot "lighter" than most metal in Europe....nice to be different sometimes.   

Mhmm! The influence is def there, they're one of my favourites and their Rocket Ride/Hellfire Club albums are great power metal

Tobias's Avantasia project is great too

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Mhmm! The influence is def there, they're one of my favourites and their Rocket Ride/Hellfire Club albums are great power metal

Tobias's Avantasia project is great too

TA reminds me a lot of Gamma Ray.   Good harmless hard rock/borderline metal with fun futuristic lyrics.   Very little drop tuning and use of 80's power chord progressions with hardly any minor notes at all (save for the interludes).   Good stuff that ages well.   I like driving to this sort of stuff.   

PS - if you want to try out an album that invokes a lot of this "old but new" hard rock with a borderline metal feel at a times, try out Tremonti's latest (Dying Machine).   A pretty nice listen for summertime.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

TA reminds me a lot of Gamma Ray.   Good harmless hard rock/borderline metal with fun futuristic lyrics.   Very little drop tuning and use of 80's power chord progressions with hardly any minor notes at all (save for the interludes).   Good stuff that ages well.   I like driving to this sort of stuff.   

PS - if you want to try out an album that invokes a lot of this "old but new" hard rock with a borderline metal feel at a times, try out Tremonti's latest (Dying Machine).   A pretty nice listen for summertime.

Dude's a genius who surrounds himself with great talent, it's pretty amazing what he's done by his age tbh

Tremonti is my $&!# though, I've got every single album but his very first one which I'd have to order if I wanted a physical copy

Just now, Coconuts said:

Dude's a genius who surrounds himself with great talent, it's pretty amazing what he's done by his age tbh

Tremonti is my $&!# though, I've got every single album but his very first one which I'd have to order if I wanted a physical copy

My own personal opinion is Tremonti is current the single best guitar player on the planet.   Guy can play fast, slow, metal, rock, and seemingly all without much effort.

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

My own personal opinion is Tremonti is current the single best guitar player on the planet.   Guy can play fast, slow, metal, rock, and seemingly all without much effort.

If he ain't he's definitely up there, it's amazing how far he's come from Creed. Between his own stuff and Alter Bridge he's a busy, busy dude.

16 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Love me some Finntroll

• Upvote 2