The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Yakupov?

There's no doubt that Yak has the pedigree - although he's never shown it on the ice at the NHL level. Given that we are rebuilding, he could get the ice time or Sedin time he needs to find his way again. An offer sheet would mean that he would cost at least a second, so that's out, but we have a pair of 4ths this year (assuming we don't get pick #31 from SJ). Would it be a complete waste to spend that on Yak and give him 1 year @ $2.5 mil? 

Horvat, Baertschi, Goldobin, Boeser, Granlund, Hischier (plz), Dahlen, Sutter and a Yak that lives up to expectations is all of a sudden a frightening top 9. I think it's worth a 4th at this stage as next year probably won't be the year we win the Cup anyway.

Really depends on the coach and the forward depth with a guy like Yak. If he isn't in the top 6, he's pretty much irrelevant. 

I think he is as close as it gets to being done in the NHL and going back to Russia. He is still young, but already on his 2nd team. Granted, he hasn't exactly been given top 6 minutes with the Blues. 

I would only be interested if he's willing to sign a 2-way deal, which I doubt he is. The way he's playing, he's earning a ticket to the AHL. Perhaps he needs the Jake treatment and a year or two in the minors.

Seems crazy, but IMO 2x 4ths is actually too much for the former 1st OA; he's proven unwilling to put in the work to fulfill his potential. If we could get him for a 4th AND sign 2ways, sure. 

Ya, I've never been high on him anyways, thought McT was a complete moron for not taking Murray at the time. Still do.

57 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I would only be interested if he's willing to sign a 2-way deal, which I doubt he is. The way he's playing, he's earning a ticket to the AHL. Perhaps he needs the Jake treatment and a year or two in the minors.

That'd save us some money I guess, but it doesn't help him escape the waiver wire. I'm not that interested either way, unless he comes cheap as a free agent.

2 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

That'd save us some money I guess, but it doesn't help him escape the waiver wire. I'm not that interested either way, unless he comes cheap as a free agent.

Does it save us cap space as well? For some reason, I forget how that works. I know it saves the team from having to pay him the NHL amount. Based on what I'm seeing on CapFriendly, it doesn't lower the cap hit.

In that case, it would mean little to me. I'd only then want him on a very low contract, less than $2M for sure.

He is an RFA at the end of this season and I seriously doubt St. Louis would try to re-sign him. They don't need him to meet their 2 mandatory forwards available for the expansion draft. He is likely to become a free agent as a result and I would suspect he could be had for a 1 year contract for no more than $1M.

Considering that 4th rounds statistically don't have a good chance of panning out, it might not be a bad idea to use those picks on a player who is currently playing as a 3rd liner.  

If the Canucks drafted a player with the 4th rounder and he put up 100+ points in less than 300 games, we'd all be ecstatic.  So if the Canucks can trade that same 4th for a player who can do at least that.... what's the problem?

Yakupov was the 1st OA because he has the potential to be a good player in the NHL.  While not the Crosby or Ovechkins of the world, if he commits 110%, he can still carve our a career like Gaborik.... at least someone like Grabner.  

I mean.... either than Daniel getting a spot because he's Daniel and Baertschi because he's earned a spot.... that still leaves 2 LW positions still open and IIRC, Yakupov can play either wing.  Burrows is gone, Hansen is gone.  Boeser will probably start next season in Utica.  Virtanen is a RW.  Gaunce (assuming he's not taken by LV) will either be a centre or playing in a depth role.  Nikolay Goldobin, Drew Shore, Reid Boucher.... those are the young guys playing for NHL jobs next season.... Nail are in the same age group but has proven a bit more in the NHL level.  

Well, if the Blues won't protect him or bring him back why not just sign him?  Forget giving away even an asset for another that's declining already.

Fact of the matter is, at this point unless he goes home he can forget about big money.  There is opportunity here in Vancouver given the rebuild but like everyone else he'll have to earn it.  In fact, given his production (6 points in 36 games doesn't scream 1st overall pick) he's lucky to not end up with only a PTO.  Maybe Jim could try to sell him on the possibility of first dibs at playing with an elite play-maker like Hank to try and revive his offensive potential. 

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Goldobin makes Yakupov redundant. Don't want another project player tbh. Yak is done.

Goldy is not a project. He is 20 years old and just getting a taste of the NHL. Yak is 23 and has almost 5 NHL seasons under his belt. Completely different. 

Just now, RRypien37 said:

Goldy is not a project. He is 20 years old and just getting a taste of the NHL. Yak is 23 and has almost 5 NHL seasons under his belt. Completely different. 

I was talking about Yakupov. Like I don't want projects like him. 

Archived