The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposals) The Summer Plan

We are in the final stretch of the season. There isn't much we can do, but there is one thing I would look to do before the season ends. After that, we look ahead to the summer.

Before the season is over, I would try and sign Boeser if his team is eliminated, which is looking like it could be a possibility. It would be attractive for him as he could burn a year off of his ELC. Let him play somewhere between 3-8 games at the very end of this season and give him a taste of the NHL. From there, he knows what he has to do in the summer to improve himself and hopefully win a spot out of camp. He said that his wrist isn't bad, he just jammed it recently so he should be good to go. 

Now, on to the summer. For me, our to-do list would look like this:

1) 2017 Draft.

2) Resigning 3 Key Players (Horvat, Tryamkin and Gudbranson).

3) Preparing for the 2018 Draft

4) Expansion Draft

5) Resigning Other Players

6) Assess Prospects (Signings, Bringing Over to Utica, Communicating Strengths and Weaknesses, etc)

7) Free Agency

1) 2017 Draft:

Right now, we are probably finishing somewhere between 4th-8th overall. This is assuming we don't win the lottery, which is very likely. In this scenario, I think we should be looking long and hard at trading up to the 2nd overall pick. Hopefully a team like Arizona can win that pick and we can make a deal involving one of our defensemen as Arizona, along with most of the other bottom feeders, need defense. Edler likely won't interest anyone and his NTC probably won't waive for a bottom feeder. A deal could easily be built around Tanev, but he's probably too valuable to us. Unless we are open to trading Tryamkin or Stetcher, which is very unlikely, that leaves Hutton as the most likely option. We would still need to add something significant to Hutton in order land a top 2 pick though. It probably sounds crazy, but this is what I think we should be do:

Hutton + All of our picks in 2017 (1st, 2nd, 2nd CBJ, 3rd, 4th, 4th SJS, 7th) for the 2nd overall pick

It is a steep price to pay, but hear me out. Benning has done a good job accumulating organizational depth in every position. It's still not amazing, but it's a lot better than it was 2 years ago. What we need is a potential elite center and Hischier would be that for us. We don't need all the long shot 1Cs or the potential middle 6ers we could get anywhere else in the draft, we need that potential 1st line player. A team like Arizona already has that elite potential with Strome and Keller down the middle, but need to fill our their organizational depth, especially on defense. This trade would likely be They need a proper supporting cast, which is what an additional draft's worth of picks can give them. I believe that this trade will better our organization where we need it most. 

At the end of the day, we walk out of the Draft with Hischier.

2) Resigning Important Players:

We have 3 noteworthy players needing new contracts after this season. Horvat, Gudbranson and Tryamkin will be RFA's and need new contracts. Here's what I think they should get:

Horvat: 6 years, 4.25 million per

Gudbranson: 2 years, 3.85 million per

Tryamkin: 2 years, 2.5 million per

3) Preparing for the 2018 Draft:

This one will affect the 2017-18 season. The 2018 Draft is loaded with top end talent, so we need to make sure we are at least in a position to compete for one of those players. This will affect how we build our team for next year. Developing our kids is still the top priority, but icing a weaker lineup should be of interest. I'm not saying we should sell everyone and have a full blown tank, but not improving some of our weaknesses would be in our best interest. As long as our kids are protected and insulated in the lineup, the rest can be filled with plugs. Guys like Megna, Skille, Chaput and Larsen filled those spots this year. As long as we are not in a strong position to win most games while still competing hard every night, we should be alright. 

Just remember, it would all be for a chance at this:

4) Expansion Draft:

Our team is among the best prepared for the expansion draft. Our list of who we are protecting is pretty much set at every position. We should be protecting Henrik, Daniel, Eriksson, Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Sutter, Tanev, Edler, Gudbranson and Markstrom. That leaves Sbisa as the most likely candidate to get claimed by Vegas with a minuscule chance of it being Gaunce. By losing Sbisa we gain an extra 3.6 million in cap space. Again, we are in a pretty good shape for the expansion draft, not a lot to worry about.

5) Resigning Other Players:

This one will be affected by #3. We have more than half of the forwards on our current roster needing new contracts. Aside from the 3 players that I addressed earlier, they are all replacement level players that can be resigned for cheap. Some could also be good pieces for Utica to retain. The question will be which ones do we sign and which ones do we let go. I would break it down like this:

Gaunce: 2 years, 900,000 per

Rodin: 1 year, 950,000

Boucher: 2 years, 800,000 per

Cramarossa: 2 years, 750,000 per

Megna: No contract

Chaput: No contract

Skille: No contract

Larsen: No contract

LaBate: 1 year, 700,000 (AHL only)

Grenier: 1 year, 650,000 (AHL only)

McEneny: 2 years, 650,000

Pedan: 1 year, 600,000

Gartieg: 2 years, 800,000 per

Billins: No contract

Nilsson: No contract

Rendulic: No contract

Zalewski: No contract

Minor Transaction: Mutually terminate our contract with Mackenzie Stewart. It is taking up a valuable contract spot for no reason. 

6) Assessing Prospects:

Utica should get a healthy injection of young players at every position. I think Boeser should stay in Utica next year as well to avoid the weak Canucks lineup. Hopefully he can turn into a leader and a key player in Utica first. Along with him, Hischier would be another high profile guy I would leave in the AHL for a year. Let him adapt to North American culture away from the spotlight in Vancouver. Hopefully he and Boeser have a good season and get familiar with each other. Other guys that should be in Utica are Brisebois, Jasek, Dahlen, Neill, Zhukenov, McKenzie, Chatfield and MacEwan. That's a sizable addition of young players in addition to Virtanen, Subban, Cassels, etc. It would be a young team but hopefully one that can have some success. Utica would roll with a young but talented lineup:

Dahlen - Valk - Grenier

Virtanen - Hischier - Boeser

LaBate - Cassels - Jasek

MacEwan - McKenzie - Zhukenov

McEneny - Subban

Pedan - Chatfield

Brisebois - Neill

Demko

Bachman

7) Free Agency

We shouldn't be looking to do anything major here. All we need is a depth defenseman and a backup goalie. Keep it simple.

Gilbert: 1 year, 1 million

Budaj: 2 years, 1.25 million per

Hainsey: 1 year, 900,000

Summary:

1) Trade up for Hischier

2) Resign Horvat, Gudbranson and Tryamkin

3) Make sure we aren't very strong to land a good pick in 2018

4) Expansion Draft

5) Resign our other players

6) Bring in young guys to bolster Utica

7) Fill some holes in Free Agency

Our lineup for next season would look something like this:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Goldobin

Granlund - Sutter - Rodin

Cramarossa - Gaunce - Dorsett

Boucher

-----------------------------------------

Boeser, Hischier, Dahlen, Virtanen

Edler - Tanev

Tryamkin - Stetcher

Gilbert - Gudbranson

Hainsey, Biega

--------------------------

McEneny, Pedan, Subban, Brisebois

Markstrom

Budaj

-------------

Bachman

Demko

Cap Space: 7,636,667 million (according to CapFriendly)

Contracts: 43/50

Thanks for reading my long post. 

What do you guys think?

Next year's line up can not have the Sedins on the top line. If we can't find a top 1C, Horvat should get that responsibility for now. He has proven himself capable enough. With the loss of Burrows and Hansen I believe we need to focus on finding someone who's cheap but a good PK in the offseason.

Hutton, and our 1st should be more than enough to get the 2nd oa this year if thats how you really wanted to go, but honestly I think we can do better on a Tanev deal for an established young C. We still need lots of prospects in the funnel, we'd be set back 2-3 years training an entire class away. 

I actually like the idea but I would tweak it slightly. for us to trade away so many picks at the draft we would have to get something good. We have a fair share of bottom 6 players so I would trade:

Hutton + Dorsett + picks in 2017 (2nd, 2nd CBJ, 3rd, 4th, 4th SJS, 7th) for the 2nd overall pick

Keep our 1st round pick and take Cale Markar at 4-8

Draft Nico Hiischier with the 2nd. 

Walk out of the draft with 2 players that can have a big impact on our team moving forward. 

With Benning's ability to scout players in later rounds already paying off, I think it would be foolish to trade an entire drafts worth of players + Hutton for a player that would likely only be slightly better than whomever we'd pick in the 1st rd with out own pick.

Archived