The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] [poll] Do we really "need" to resign Miller? There are many other options.

JM_

Signing Miller  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Miller? Do we really need him?

There's a lot of talk about how the Canucks "have to" resign Miller, maybe to more than 1 year. But do we? 

Below is the list of UFA goalies available next season with SV% 0.910 and better, which would suffice for a partner for Marky for next season. There are a lot of guys available, and not a lot of starter jobs out there so I think we have a lot of options vs. going term with Miller.

Thoughts? Anyone else you like? I'd prefer Jim go for a guy like Nilsson for cheap, or maybe Darling if he can be had for under 3 mil.

2. Scott Darling Chicago Blackhawks   UFA 28 G   29 - - - -
-
18 5 2 2.13 .930   $600,000 $587,500
3. Curtis McElhinney Toronto Maple Leafs   UFA 33 G   15 - - - -
-
5 5 1 2.56 .922   $800,000 $800,000
4. Anders Nilsson Buffalo Sabres   UFA 27 G   24 - - - -
-
10 9 1 2.76 .920   $1,000,000 $1,000,000
5. Peter Budaj Tampa Bay Lightning   UFA 34 G   57 - - - -
-
28 21 7 2.15 .916   $600,000 $600,000
6. Ryan Miller Vancouver Canucks   UFA 36 G   47 - - - -
-
18 22 3 2.78 .915   $6,000,000 $6,000,000
7. Jonathan Bernier Anaheim Ducks   UFA 28 G   31 - - - -
-
14 7 2 2.54 .915   $4,150,000 $4,150,000
8. Mike Condon Ottawa Senators   UFA 26 G   38 - - - -
-
18 12 5 2.49 .914   $575,000 $575,000
9. Keith Kinkaid New Jersey Devils   UFA 27 G   21 - - - -
-
7 10 0 2.76 .913   $750,000 $725,000
10. Chad Johnson Calgary Flames   UFA 30 G   34 - - - -
-
18 14 3 2.58 .912   $1,700,000 $1,700,000
11. Brian Elliott Calgary Flames   UFA 31 G   42 - - - -
-
23 14 2 2.50 .911   $2,700,000 $2,500,000
12. Ben Bishop Los Angeles Kings   UFA 30 G   36 - - - -
-
16 14 1 2.56 .910   $5,950,000 $5,950,000

He's old and all, but I don't see a reason to resign him.

I'd be interested in re-signing him however...

:P

On topic, I do think we need another goaltender to take some of the load off Marky and Miller can get the job done. That said, I expect Miller will demand too much, so I more likely see us going with a cheaper option for a year or two.

Regarding Miller's mediocre save percentage, just remember the roster he has playing in from of him and compare that to Budaj's or Darling's for example. Miller is almost certainly better than most of these goaltenders, but also likely more expensive.

I love Millsy and would be happy to see him re-signed, yes, even for two years. With that said, while I want him I don't think we need him, and more importantly at this point I don't think he wants or needs us.

I'd be willing to spring for almost any of the guys above except Bernier. I have no idea how he's  stayed in the league as long as he has. Darling, Nilsson, Budaj, Bish...bring 'em on!

Miller has been nothing short of incredible this and I think he's earned the respect of everyone who was on the fence about him. Should unanimously be the team MVP at the end of the year as well. We'd only be a smidgen ahead of the Avs without him.

That being said I think we will be closer to his 3rd option than his first come free agency, and he's earned that.

1 minute ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

I love Millsy and would be happy to see him re-signed, yes, even for two years. With that said, while I want him I don't think we need him, and more importantly at this point I don't think he wants or needs us.

I'd be willing to spring for almost any of the guys above except Bernier. I have no idea how he's  stayed in the league as long as he has. Darling, Nilsson, Budaj, Bish...bring 'em on!

Two years scares me tho... over 35 contracts suck. I actually hope Miller gets what he wants and gets a job in SoCal close to his family, he's definitely earned it. 

Bishop is the only clear upgrade of the bunch, but there are other teams that are a better fit for him.

If Miller can be re-signed for a reasonable price, then sign him. He might want to test the market and see if there's an opening on a stronger team. In that event, go for Darling, Johnson, or Condon if possible.

Miller is great, but I would prefer we went with another option. Get a project goalie with good underlying indicators, or one of the good backups ready to split starter. Sign them for relatively cheap. Work them as a tandem with Marky. We aren't at the point that we want to commit time and money for Millsey. Let him go to a non rebuilding team. 

I would stay away from Bishop and Bernier. Bishop's starting to look like a one hit wonder and Bernier is playing behind one of the better teams in the league. Take away the Ducks' D and I think he's Toronto Bernier all over again.

From his play this year, I wouldn't be opposed to re-signing Miller but it would have to be for a single year, at a pay cut. Honestly, I can't see Miller going for that if he can get the same thing from one of the Cali teams, be their backup, and spend way more time with his wife and son.

Darling, Budaj, Johnson, Kinkaid or Condon would be intriguing options for us though. I'm sure we could sign one of them for a year in the 2 to 3 million range. 

9 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I would stay away from Bishop and Bernier. Bishop's starting to look like a one hit wonder and Bernier is playing behind one of the better teams in the league. Take away the Ducks' D and I think he's Toronto Bernier all over again.

From his play this year, I wouldn't be opposed to re-signing Miller but it would have to be for a single year, at a pay cut. Honestly, I can't see Miller going for that if he can get the same thing from one of the Cali teams, be their backup, and spend way more time with his wife and son.

Darling, Budaj, Johnson, Kinkaid or Condon would be intriguing options for us though. I'm sure we could sign one of them for a year in the 2 to 3 million range. 

I agree with all that you say except for the Bishop comment. He's been a pretty solid goaltender for about five years now including two very impressive seasons and two strong playoff runs.

8 minutes ago, Patrick Kane said:

:huh:

GS   GP   W    L  OTL                              Sv% GAA

KV9pkvE.png

And his stats this year aren't horrible considering how bad Tampa has been.

Whoops, talked out of my ass there. Regardless, I think Bishop is one of those goalies that's as good as the team in front of him as opposed to Miller who can steal games for a bad team (see the Canucks this year or Sabres circa 2013).

Either way, Bishop is going to be looking for a lot of money and term. I'd prefer to let another team give him that. 

3 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Whoops, talked out of my ass there. Regardless, I think Bishop is one of those goalies that's as good as the team in front of him. Meaning he's probably not the goalie for us.

Either way, Bishop is going to be looking for a lot of money and term. I'd prefer to let another team give him that. 

yah Bishop is going to want even more than Miller. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think next year is the "now or never" year for Marky, he's not exactly a kid anymore so lets see what he can do. 

5 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Whoops, talked out of my ass there. Regardless, I think Bishop is one of those goalies that's as good as the team in front of him as opposed to Miller who can steal games for a bad team (see the Canucks this year or Sabres circa 2013).

I don't think the Canucks should sign him, I'll agree with you on that. 

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Bring him back for one year, but do a 50-50 split between him and Markstrom. Then go with Markstrom after that until Demko is ready.

Would you be okay with it even if Miller asks for $6M again? That's the only concern in my mind.

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Bring him back for one year, but do a 50-50 split between him and Markstrom. Then go with Markstrom after that until Demko is ready.

That sounds reasonable, but we've seen that Willie won't do that. If Willie is the coach next season I think we need to have Marky as the clear #1 and a clear backup option, otherwise aren't we giving up on Markstrom as a starter? I just don't see WIllie picking a 50-50 option. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

That sounds reasonable, but we've seen that Willie won't do that. If Willie is the coach next season I think we need to have Marky as the clear #1 and a clear backup option, otherwise aren't we giving up on Markstrom as a starter? I just don't see WIllie picking a 50-50 option. 

I would agree with this. After the Luongo issues, the team seems to want a clearly defined starter to avoid an potential controversies, so I don't see a 50-50 happening, as much as that might be nice.

Archived