The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] [poll] Do we really "need" to resign Miller? There are many other options.

JM_

Signing Miller  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

and risky

and less reliable

and unproven

Perfect! 

We we are not ready to go for playoffs. Not unless we miraculously trade for Karlsson, Doughty, Crosby, Barkov while keeping the current players. Doesn't work. We lack the strong superstar players(BoHo isn't there yet) to take us over the top. That and we have terrible depth ie/Megna. So I'm sorry for all you anti tank fans, but look at our team. We just aren't at the calibre that we need to be to make the playoffs and going for spots in the standings only jeapordizes the team in the future. So we can't have goalies that will save us on any given night. We almost need to have a pair of Bernier and Condon or something like that, so we can get the pick.

19 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

Perfect! 

We we are not ready to go for playoffs. Not unless we miraculously trade for Karlsson, Doughty, Crosby, Barkov while keeping the current players. Doesn't work. We lack the strong superstar players(BoHo isn't there yet) to take us over the top. That and we have terrible depth ie/Megna. So I'm sorry for all you anti tank fans, but look at our team. We just aren't at the calibre that we need to be to make the playoffs and going for spots in the standings only jeapordizes the team in the future. So we can't have goalies that will save us on any given night. We almost need to have a pair of Bernier and Condon or something like that, so we can get the pick.

a true tanker

have a little look at recent history with the oilers

and see how their youngster's development was impaired by unreliable goaltending and inadequate defense

if the team does not believe in the system because their is little hope of winning

the players will be more likely to free lance and do their own thing

and not learn fundamental team concepts at the nhl level

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are teams even allowed to re-sign buyouts?  

No.

I was referring to the Canucks' goaltending situation. 

I'd rather sign Fleury to a cheap deal, once the Penguins buy him out, than to maybe overpay Miller to stay here for another season.

3 minutes ago, shiznak said:

No.

I was referring to the Canucks' goaltending situation. 

I'd rather sign Fleury to a cheap deal, once the Penguins buy him out, than to maybe overpay Miller to stay here for another season.

Miller only keeps us afloat anyway.  Better we sink right to the bottom, so I agree.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Better we sink right to the bottom, so I agree.

Not sure about that.... if Bo, Boeser, Goldy, et al bring a new energy and scoring, then I hope they get a shot at playoffs. 

8 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Those are precious points in the standings that we definitely don't need, so to OP I say good bye and au revoir Miller!

What if we trade Tanev for Nylander? What then? 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

Not sure about that.... if Bo, Boeser, Goldy, et al bring a new energy and scoring, then I hope they get a shot at playoffs. 

And a healthy Granlund and Gudbranson.  I'd rather we sink though.  2018 is supposed have a few super good prospects, like this Wise kid.  

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

And a healthy Granlund and Gudbranson.  I'd rather we sink though.  2018 is supposed have a few super good prospects, like this Wise kid.  

We're just not going to be as sucky as AZ or COL even next year, so no point in worrying about those high spots. If we can get some actual minutes where teams are defending against us that would also help eh :P

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

We're just not going to be as sucky as AZ or COL even next year, so no point in worrying about those high spots. If we can get some actual minutes where teams are defending against us that would also help eh :P

Yes to us going on the offensive.  :towel:

If Miller were to actually want to resign here I would think he would be looking for 2-3 years. One year would not be an option since there would be other teams willing to give him some term.

John Garrett sure seems to like Scott Darling as per the telecast on Tuesday night. 

On 2017-03-22 at 9:45 AM, Patrick Kane said:

Always poach Hawks/ex-Hawks if you get the chance too, they usually turn out good.

Examples:

Ladd, Byfuglien, Campbell, Sharp, Brouwer, Teravainen, Versteeg, Frolik, Leddy, Saad, Shaw, Raanta, Niemi (for a bit), Pirri (somewhat)

And then you can trade them back to the Hawks at the deadline for a good prospect and a pick lol

On March 22, 2017 at 9:45 AM, Patrick Kane said:

Always poach Hawks/ex-Hawks if you get the chance too, they usually turn out good.

Examples:

Ladd, Byfuglien, Campbell, Sharp, Brouwer, Teravainen, Versteeg, Frolik, Leddy, Saad, Shaw, Raanta, Niemi (for a bit), Pirri (somewhat)

Scott Darling please. Best case scenario: he outplays Markstrom and becomes our next definitive starting goaltender until Demko. Even better scenario: he sucks without the Blackhawks defense in front of him our leaky goaltending causes us to tank harder next year for a Dahlin or Svechnikov.

On 2017-03-22 at 10:28 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Bring him back for one year, but do a 50-50 split between him and Markstrom. Then go with Markstrom after that until Demko is ready.

Or, just skip the pretense with Markstrom and name him the starter next season with Bachman and a veteran battling for the #2 spot. Miller has served the Canucks well in his term. I've never had a problem with that 3rd year he was offered. Compared to the 2 years Calgary signed Jonas Hiller for that same off-season, I think that extra year allowed the Canucks to develop their younger players at the position, rather than throwing them to the wolves. I see next season as when that starts to really pay off. The job should be Markstrom's to lose next year, and, hopefully he can keep it until Demko unseats him in a few years. Best case scenario. 

On ‎2017‎年‎3‎月‎27‎日 at 9:23 AM, Fakename70 said:

Or, just skip the pretense with Markstrom and name him the starter next season with Bachman and a veteran battling for the #2 spot. Miller has served the Canucks well in his term. I've never had a problem with that 3rd year he was offered. Compared to the 2 years Calgary signed Jonas Hiller for that same off-season, I think that extra year allowed the Canucks to develop their younger players at the position, rather than throwing them to the wolves. I see next season as when that starts to really pay off. The job should be Markstrom's to lose next year, and, hopefully he can keep it until Demko unseats him in a few years. Best case scenario. 

If Bach & Markstrom could hold the fort, be something to have 'tending at about 4.3 mill AAV, combined.

Allows the team to commit cap resources elsewhere.

On 3/22/2017 at 9:45 AM, Patrick Kane said:

Examples:

Darling will be available this summer. Maybe we snag him for 2 years/$3 Million AAV. I think that's a fair deal.

We could also get a sweetener from the Penguins for MA Fleury in exchange for us taking that contract and allowing them to retain Matt Murray.

Fleury is an experienced goaltender who  has been the SCF three times, he's won twice so he can bring a lot of pedigree to this organization. I agree that all of those Chicago players have panned out with other teams, but perhaps it's time for the Canucks to get creative for more prospect depth.

I wonder if Chicago would be interested in the Sedins at next years' deadline, I know they're not going anywhere just wondering if Chicago would take'em. We'd only be able to retain salary on one contract so the maximum amount we'd be able to widdle their combined cap hit down to $10.5 Million. 

Archived