The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins are Second to Wayne Gretzky and Jari Kurri(NHL Record)

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

8 hours ago, darkpoet said:

[ i'll add the asterisk to this record ]

* it should be noted that the Sedin brothers have accomplished this in an era where scoring is way down, and also without the aid of an 8 ball of cocaine every night.

Please.  Did you watch games back then?  Goalies size has more than anything to do with decreased scoring as does NJ and their trap  that caught fire with all the expansion team that had little else to win games with and the hooking and holding that crept into the game at the height of the dead puck era.  Probert played one game on cocaine and thought he was going to die throughout or so he says in his book BTW.  

Maybe scoring was up because the players themselves were better and the goalies the smaller goalies didn't drop to cover the corners everytime a player came into the zone and looked at them ( thanks for that Roy).  

They had some of the fastest players ever to play (Garnter Bure etc.) and some of the hardest shots too using wooden sticks (MacInnis Ifratre).  

Too bad hockey wasnt as exciting now as it was back then ... A 5-4 game is better than a 2-1 game anyday.

7 hours ago, Beeekz37 said:

^ this,

Each era is/was unique in their own way. Switch the players and the times and I would be more curious to see how long the Sedins could have lasted in that clutch/grab 80s era. What would Smyl have looked like with these 2? Or Williams?

It's not much different now than the 80's. The real clutch, grab, and interfere era was '96 to '04. The 80's was the hook. You could often get away with one tug but there was far less interference away from the puck. The Sedins playmaking and creativity would have been awesome back then. They would have rolled the points up the way teams defended back then and shooting at those standup matchstick goalies.

7 hours ago, Beeekz37 said:

^ this,

Each era is/was unique in their own way. Switch the players and the times and I would be more curious to see how long the Sedins could have lasted in that clutch/grab 80s era. What would Smyl have looked like with these 2? Or Williams?

Comparing eras is more popular than ever right now.  The best thing about it if Gretzky played last year he still would have blown the competition away with close to 150pts and Kanes stats reversed to  1980-81 (the highest scoring year)  would have around 145.... It shows Gretzky greatness would dominate in any era.  The Sedins best seasons would also translate to just under 150 points at the peak of scoring history.  They would not have scored 2000 points but would could have closed in on 1400 if they played from the early seventies to the early nineties. Enough to gaurantee them in the Hall of Fame for sure.

16 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Considering that Gretzky only played with Kurri for something like eleven seasons, I don't know if I would say the Sedins are more impressive.

The Sedins are great, but once people start calling them more impressive than Gretzky, it's time to take a step back and refocus.

That is your opinion. Personally I think guys like Patrick Kane and Sidney Crosby are better hockey players than Gretzky was. He played a soft game and put up points due to his amazing hockey IQ. That wouldn't be enough in this current era. You need a great shot, or hands, or speed, or physicality to be a good player in this era. Gretzky was the best of his time, but IMO not the greatest. It is hard to compare eras however so I may be entirely wrong.

32 minutes ago, IBatch said:

One Kurri Gretzky record nobody will break is each scoring more than seventy goals in one season...In today's era that would be two scoring more than fifty...Crazy good players.

in a crazy high scoring era ::D

On 23/03/2017 at 2:45 PM, Adarsh Sant said:

That is your opinion. Personally I think guys like Patrick Kane and Sidney Crosby are better hockey players than Gretzky was. He played a soft game and put up points due to his amazing hockey IQ. That wouldn't be enough in this current era. You need a great shot, or hands, or speed, or physicality to be a good player in this era. Gretzky was the best of his time, but IMO not the greatest. It is hard to compare eras however so I may be entirely wrong.

Your post suggests that the eighties and nineties were soft times. Do yourself a favour and read Gretzky's book.  It will open your mind to not only his era but the history of hockey.  Crosby is a great player no doubt he's special.  Kane not so much.  There's been plenty of players like him and better than him.  No way either of those guys top 150 playing back then where as Gretzky would adapt fine and score 150 plus in today's game. Did you watch him and hockey back then?  The best team ever by far was the 87 Canada Cup team.  Those players were something else.

To quote Glen Sather " Hitting Gretzky is like trying to hit confetti"...He survived just fine in much rougher and tougher NHL.

28 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Your post suggests that the eighties and nineties were soft times. Do yourself a favour and read Gretzky's book.  It will open your mind to not only his era but the history of hockey.  Crosby is a great player no doubt he's special.  Kane not so much.  There's been plenty of players like him and better than him.  No way either of those guys top 150 playing back then where as Gretzky would adapt fine and score 150 plus in today's game. Did you watch him and hockey back then?  The best team ever by far was the 87 Canada Cup team.  Those players were something else.

Not a chance Gretzky gets 150 in todays game.  Back then, it was normal for about 10 players to put up 100+ points in a season.  In the last 5 full seasons, there hasn't been 2 players who have gotten 100+ points in the same season.  This season, we might not have a single player put up 100 points.  Does that mean the players have gotten worse? I don't think so.  The game has gotten harder.  Gretzky would adapt his game no doubt, but goalies and defense are way better now. Pick any player from any era in their prime, not a chance they get 150.  Max probably 130. And that would have to be on a powerhouse team.

This is a joke... They shouldn't even be remotely connected to this record. Sedins are by far #1, and the greatest one two punch in the history of the NHL.

If Sedins played against terrible goaltending and tiny equipment, they'd have probably double this amount and Gretz/Kurri wouldn't even be in the conversation.

36 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Not a chance Gretzky gets 150 in todays game.  Back then, it was normal for about 10 players to put up 100+ points in a season.  In the last 5 full seasons, there hasn't been 2 players who have gotten 100+ points in the same season.  This season, we might not have a single player put up 100 points.  Does that mean the players have gotten worse? I don't think so.  The game has gotten harder.  Gretzky would adapt his game no doubt, but goalies and defense are way better now. Pick any player from any era in their prime, not a chance they get 150.  Max probably 130. And that would have to be on a powerhouse team.

Gretzky would be getting the 130 points and the rest of the hall of fame players would be getting 80-95 points... there is that much difference.

50 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Gretzky would be getting the 130 points and the rest of the hall of fame players would be getting 80-95 points... there is that much difference.

I still think there are players better than Gretzky, from this era.  We'll agree to disagree.

1 minute ago, Adarsh Sant said:

I still think there are players better than Gretzky, from this era.  We'll agree to disagree.

I won't say i disagree with you as there are some amazing players right now. But when Gretz played he was so much better than everyone else... even as a 20 year old, and then he improved on that and created more space between him and other stars. Nobody at the time though Espo's 76 goals would be beaten... Gretzky got 92. I think only two had ever got 50 goals in 50 games, he did it in 39. By game 50 he had 60 something goals. And it's easy to say that scoring was easy... but how come no one else could do it. Mike Bossy one of the greatest goal scorers ever got 68 i believe. It is just so hard to compare the times but right now looking at the points race someone would have to be like 33% better than everyone else to compare.

On 2017-03-22 at 0:30 PM, Tre Mac said:

Impressive, I wonder if any came close to what Hull and Oates did over a 4 year span.

Esposito and Orr is the only other pair that I could think of that might compete with Hull and Oates.

sedins own that record already in my opinion,gretzky used to get 2 phantom assists from the bench every game back then.every game was 8-7 they played.the sedins got their  points during the trap obsessed yearsgretsky had what? 180 200 points one year,thats more than colorado's team goals this year.

2 minutes ago, gino#29 said:

sedins own that record already in my opinion,gretzky used to get 2 phantom assists from the bench every game back then.every game was 8-7 they played.the sedins got their  points during the trap obsessed yearsgretsky had what? 180 200 points one year,thats more than colorado's team goals this year.

The thing about the Sedin's in comparison is that each of them let the league in one season only, Daniel had 41 goals once, the rest have been in the 30's. There is a reason Gretzky had 200 points, he was the best. They took out 4 on 4 hockey because of him... because he would score or set up someone else and score. The Sedin's have longevity  playing together that is why they are close to that record.

28 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Esposito and Orr is the only other pair that I could think of that might compete with Hull and Oates.

I guess Gretzky and Coffey is a pretty good counterpart to Esposito and Orr.

Imagine if Gretzky, Kurri and Coffey had played together for as many seasons as Daniel and Henrik have.

Archived