The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Federal budget 2017: Highlights of Bill Morneau's 2nd budget

Ryan Strome

"$523.9 million over five years to prevent tax evasion and improve tax compliance, including more auditors, a crackdown on high-risk avoidance cases and better investigative efforts."

Does this not seem self-defeating to anyone else? Spending over half a billion in tax money, to make sure people pay the government more taxes?

4 minutes ago, Fateless said:

"$523.9 million over five years to prevent tax evasion and improve tax compliance, including more auditors, a crackdown on high-risk avoidance cases and better investigative efforts."

Does this not seem self-defeating to anyone else? Spending over half a billion in tax money, to make sure people pay the government more taxes?

"Big Brother"?

7 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Alanis?

11 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Depends how much tax evasion is happening. If it's billions, it's worth it. If less, then yea...

National Debt currently at $636 billion..... now this year will tack on an additional $28 billion.

Someday the interest rate will rise a lot and it will probably cost more to service the debt than providing services. 

This is a good visualization, albeit for Japan's problem.  Similar principles though.  

39 minutes ago, Fateless said:

How about fire the idiots who aren't doing their job properly and change things so loopholes are closed and it isn't so easy for tax evaders to slide through?  Come on, it isn't rocket appliances...you have multi million dollar homes with luxury cars parked in the driveway yet the homeowner is a student or homemaker getting low income subsidies?  Let's make sure the money funnelling in to purchase and maintain the home is somehow brought into the equation and "earnings" coincide with living quarters/situations.  Right now, they're out of whack.  If you aren't earning anything, how are you paying for all this stuff?  Derp.

— The public transit tax credit, which allows the cost of transit passes to be deducted, is being eliminated effective July 1.

This is also dumb.  So we want people to use transit but are going to eliminate the incentive for them to do so?

— The budget dedicates $11.2 billion to cities and provinces for affordable housing over 10 years as part of the second wave of the government's infrastructure program, $5 billion of which is to encourage housing providers to pool their resources with private partners to pay for new projects.

"Encourage housing providers".  How?  By giving them money?   Sure, that'll do it.

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

How about fire the idiots who aren't doing their job properly and change things so loopholes are closed and it isn't so easy for tax evaders to slide through?  Come on, it isn't rocket appliances...you have multi million dollar homes with luxury cars parked in the driveway yet the homeowner is a student or homemaker getting low income subsidies?  Let's make sure the money funnelling in to purchase and maintain the home is somehow brought into the equation and "earnings" coincide with living quarters/situations.  Right now, they're out of whack.

— The public transit tax credit, which allows the cost of transit passes to be deducted, is being eliminated effective July 1.

This is also dumb.  So we want people to use transit but are going to eliminate the incentive for them to do so?

— The budget dedicates $11.2 billion to cities and provinces for affordable housing over 10 years as part of the second wave of the government's infrastructure program, $5 billion of which is to encourage housing providers to pool their resources with private partners to pay for new projects.

"Encourage housing providers".  How?  By giving them money?   Sure, that'll do it.

Eliminating the transit benefit but spending billions on transit. I'd rather direct investment in trains we'll use and which will spur economic benefits than a couple hundred bucks in my pocket. 

1 minute ago, inane said:

Seems like most (all?) nations are in debt over their head... So, what then? Countries will never pay that all back so....The whole thing is pretty silly. 

What will happen (sadly) is WWIII.  It's not silly, because likely 90% of wars are fought over some economic principles, disguised in other ways, to justify the horror.  

6 minutes ago, inane said:

Eliminating the transit benefit but spending billions on transit. I'd rather direct investment in trains we'll use and which will spur economic benefits than a couple hundred bucks in my pocket. 

I am not overly confident in how transit money is/will be spent.  To funnel money into pockets is a thing over there...I'd rather it be mine than some advisor or planner (I know one personally, it's a bit of a joke).

8 minutes ago, inane said:

Or they could just privatize transit.  

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I am not overly confident in how transit money is/will be spent.  To funnel money into pockets is a thing over there...I'd rather it be mine than some advisor or planner (I know one personally, it's a bit of a joke).

Like anything, there's costs. More money in your pocket and no investment in more transit just means you're blowing that saved money on wasted time, gas, etc. 

15 minutes ago, inane said:

Like anything, there's costs. More money in your pocket and no investment in more transit just means you're blowing that saved money on wasted time, gas, etc. 

I'm fine with costs.  It's "waste" that concerns me.  It's salaries for some in positions that have become redundant, but they're kept on board anyhow.  Because they can.

I didn't say no investment in transit...but I also don't want to funnel money into a bottomless pit and Translink has a lot of that.  My God, just review the history of some of it to see that in action.  Some dumb decisions are made and they cost all of us.

Archived