The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

17 Year Old Male Student Vicimized by Abusive Teacher

nucklehead

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/lockhart-teacher-sarah-fowlkes-arrested-for-alleged-improper-relationship-with-student/ar-BByAyqn?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartandhp

Lockhart High School science teacher accused of having a sexual relationship with a student has been arrested and suspended from her job.

Sarah M. Fowlkes, 27, who has worked for the school district since October 2014, turned herself in at the Lockhart Police Station late Monday morning on a warrant and was booked into the Caldwell County Jail, police said. Lockhart is about 35 miles southeast of Austin.

According to the police department, officers received a report March 10 from a school administrator at Lockhart High School about a possible inappropriate relationship between a student and a teacher. The investigation led a Lockhart detective to a 17-year-old male student, who had been in contact in person and by message with Fowlkes. Their contact was of a sexual nature, police said.

In a statement on its website, Lockhart Independent School District said Monday that Fowlkes had been suspended and that notice of her conduct was being sent to the State Board for Educator Certification.

After learning about the alleged behavior March 10, before the start of spring break, district officials contacted Child Protective Services as well as the Lockhart Police Department, the statement said.

"Lockhart parents entrust their children to us every day, and it is something  we  do not take lightly," Superintendent Susan Bohn said in the statement. "Student safety is the district's most  important priority. As soon as we learned of the report, we acted swiftly to involve law enforcement and CPS to conduct  a thorough  investigation. The district does not and will not tolerate any  improper communication or contact between a teacher and child."

Parents were  notified by email Monday afternoon of Fowlke's arrest and suspension, the statement said.

That poor kid. Sure glad teachers weren't so heartless in my day.

Sarah Fowlkes.jpg

I find this topic incredibly interesting. Obviously, it is unprofessional and wrong on the part of the educator. Is victimized the correct word, though? A relationship is a two-way street is it not? And we do not know if the kid initiated it, there are some bold teenagers now, so it could very well be a possibility.

11 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

I find this topic incredibly interesting. Obviously, it is unprofessional and wrong on the part of the educator. Is victimized the correct word, though? A relationship is a two-way street is it not? And we do not know if the kid initiated it, there are some bold teenagers now, so it could very well be a possibility.

Its irrelevant how the boy acted. He is unable to consent to a sexual relationship with his teacher. The responsibility is on the teacher to put an immediate stop to any advance that the boy would make, and if he continued, report it to her boss.

I agree that the boy should have some responsibility in the scenario, but legally he does not.

17 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

I'm always so disgusted by how many people laugh these situations off. When the genders are reversed no one is laughing.

You have a point, but I was a 17yo boy once and would have been a very cooperative victim in that situation. Unless this young man has some sort of disability and was legitimately being abused, he wanted to be victimized. I can guarantee that. 

But you are right to be angry about a double standard.

10 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

I'm always so disgusted by how many people laugh these situations off. When the genders are reversed no one is laughing.

So true. I certainly don't identify as a feminist these days, but sometimes you can see where their inspirations come from when stories like these come out.

Age, who cares, what's the difference between a 17y old and an 18y old really? Completely arbitrary.

Now the fact that she was in a position of authority over him is what makes this egregious.

Before someone comments I would have a different opinion if it was a 17yr old girl, I could care less about the gender. Is ****ed up that she was his teacher though.

12 minutes ago, Glory_Days said:

Age, who cares, what's the difference between a 17y old and an 18y old really? Completely arbitrary.

Now the fact that she was in a position of authority over him is what makes this egregious.

Before someone comments I would have a different opinion if it was a 17yr old girl, I could care less about the gender. Is ****ed up that she was his teacher though.

The double standard is a 17yo young woman being called a slut for sleeping with her teacher... dude. Derp

Edit - noun and verb choices

1 hour ago, ajhockey said:

So true. I certainly don't identify as a feminist these days, but sometimes you can see where their inspirations come from when stories like these come out.

I don't think you read the title properly.

Archived