The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Blues

-Vintage Canuck-

14 hours ago, mll said:

It's so close.  If the puck is at the tip of the blade - it wouldn't be off-side so they needed to see the puck and they can't.

not sure which feed you refer to but it's not close on the game in 5 feed I looked at.

33 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

not sure which feed you refer to but it's not close on the game in 5 feed I looked at.

I was only commenting on the feed they are using - re the link I posted from the NHL PR - with that feed it was not possible to clearly decide it was off-side.  

They apparently didn't have the other angle and it begs the question why because it was a clear off-side.

So we have a shinny new toy. Let's keep our expectations balanced. I hope we don't have people saying that he is a bust if he dosen't set the world on fire. This kid has been so hyped up that fans may be looking for a super star.

• -SN- unfeatured this topic
On 2017-03-24 at 11:15 AM, ajhockey said:

Chicago. One game prior to the Blues game.

You are totally right. Yet to some fans, the league is systematically biased agianst the Canucks. Those fans are blind to the fact that this team's problems are entirely self inflicted. And very deep.

3 hours ago, coastal1 said:

You are totally right. Yet to some fans, the league is systematically biased agianst the Canucks. Those fans are blind to the fact that this team's problems are entirely self inflicted. And very deep.

Nope.

8 hours ago, coastal1 said:

Am I the only one that doesn't know what this teams 'problems' are?

I think our fans are definitely biased but what team's fans aren't? 

I don't neccessarily think the league is out to get us but I do think they have an interest in seeing American teams succeed. I also think the department of player safety is a bit of a joke when it comes to their inconsistency in handing out suspensions. That's as far as I'll take it though.

17 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Nope.

Nope, there is no widespread feeling of being treated unfairly by the league and the referring, particularly since the Burrows/Auger incident, or no, the problems are not deep and we are about to turn the corner?

13 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Am I the only one that doesn't know what this teams 'problems' are?

I think our fans are definitely biased but what team's fans aren't? 

I don't neccessarily think the league is out to get us but I do think they have an interest in seeing American teams succeed. I also think the department of player safety is a bit of a joke when it comes to their inconsistency in handing out suspensions. That's as far as I'll take it though.

This team was picked by many 'experts' to finish 30th in the league this year and they are now in 27th place, so I can see why fans are pleased, the team certainly has exceeded expectations. And yes fans are optimistic by nature. So optimism coupled with a season that is better than expected leads to thoughts of a quick turn around. My view is that realitry is not quite there. Is Golobin the next Russian star in Vancouver? Maybe. Is Boeser the real thing, a true goal scorer? Maybe. Will Virtanen be the next 'Bertuzzi'? Maybe. Is Juolevi the next Lindstrom? Maybe. Too many maybes in my opinion. Not enough Ehjlers or Thachuck type successes yet.

1 hour ago, coastal1 said:

Nope, there is no widespread feeling of being treated unfairly by the league and the referring, particularly since the Burrows/Auger incident, or no, the problems are not deep and we are about to turn the corner?

They were deep but we are turning the corner.  

1 hour ago, coastal1 said:

This team was picked by many 'experts' to finish 30th in the league this year and they are now in 27th place, so I can see why fans are pleased, the team certainly has exceeded expectations. And yes fans are optimistic by nature. So optimism coupled with a season that is better than expected leads to thoughts of a quick turn around. My view is that realitry is not quite there. Is Golobin the next Russian star in Vancouver? Maybe. Is Boeser the real thing, a true goal scorer? Maybe. Will Virtanen be the next 'Bertuzzi'? Maybe. Is Juolevi the next Lindstrom? Maybe. Too many maybes in my opinion. Not enough Ehjlers or Thachuck type successes yet.

Maybes could be yes's, not no's.  Just keep that in mind.  Nothing wrong with being optimistic or excited.....not much point in being here if we're not.

3 hours ago, coastal1 said:

Ya but Ehlers and Tkachuk

were also both maybes at one point. We can't compare them to the players you listed considering they've only played a handful of NHL games combined. Although I'm pretty confident that JV will not be the next Bertuzzi. 

Also, finishing 27th instead of 30th does not provide hope. However, seeing JB acquire 2 good forward prospects, plus seeing Boeser play his 1st game (and playing very well), along with another early 1st round pick coming, those are the things that give our fans hope. 

I believe we will have another tough year next year but with each year that passes, the future looks brighter than it did the previous year. Patience my friend. 

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

They were deep but we are turning the corner.  

We will see. Whatever you base your opinion on, don't put much stock into the last 10 games or so of the season, it is a very poor indicator of true NHL play. For example Florida 7-0 over Chicago, What does it mean? Nothing. Really, nothing. The worst mistake Florida could do is think that this shows that they are really better than their record is and that no change is necessary. We go into Chicago and beat the Hawks, we go into Minnesota and beat the Wild, like everyone else, what does it mean?

2 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

We will see. Whatever you base your opinion on, don't put much stock into the last 10 games or so of the season, it is a very poor indicator of true NHL play. For example Florida 7-0 over Chicago, What does it mean? Nothing. Really, nothing. The worst mistake Florida could do is think that this shows that they are really better than their record is and that no change is necessary. We go into Chicago and beat the Hawks, we go into Minnesota and beat the Wild, like everyone else, what does it mean?

The worst mistake was already made - thinking that a whole lot of change was necessary, when it wasn't broken in the first place.

I don't think anyone mistakes a couple wins over Chicago and Minnesota for being a contender.

At the same time, the current roster likely doesn't really resemble what you'll see next fall, so the team is probably a fair measure better than the current version, in which half the forward group are AHLers, waiver wire pick ups or emergency UFA signings.

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

The worst mistake was already made - thinking that a whole lot of change was necessary, when it wasn't broken in the first place.

I don't think anyone mistakes a couple wins over Chicago and Minnesota for being a contender.

At the same time, the current roster likely doesn't really resemble what you'll see next fall, so the team is probably a fair measure better than the current version, in which half the forward group are AHLers, waiver wire pick ups or emergency UFA signings.

I am not clear on how next year's team will be better than this year's but we will see. The young players wil be a year older and some will be better but the Sedins will be a year older and worse. Goaltending is a big question mark.

Archived