The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In Defense of the Sedins and Edler

William_Clarkson

18 minutes ago, FaxCap said:

My only problem with the Sedins is their 14 million dollar contract.  It keeps us from the "real" free agency market.

I also see with reduced minutes the Sedins are actually playing better.

No way I want to see Tanev go....he's a building block.

I want to see the Canucks draft forwards.....no more defencemen until they reach deep into the draft.

Draft size and tenacity....I want to see more grit on this team. I don't mean goons....I mean guys with high compete levels

On the whole the Canucks drafting over the years has been terrible. 

Still haven't made up my mind about WD.  He's been a winning coach at all levels.....but "maybe" he's reached

1 level too high.

Heard a rumour from the Canucks dressing room that Tryamkin is not well liked. He has very few relationships with

team members.

I think it is more likely a result of the language barrier, rather than being 'not well liked'.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm thinking of creating a post "In defense of Zac Dalpe and Byron Bitz". Sound good?

Can you include Skudra? You could feel the fear coming off him every time he was in net. 

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Canucks history won't end once the Sedins retire, so one can't say that they are the greatest players in franchise history.

Frankly, the greatest players in Canucks history will be the ones who win the Stanley Cup.

History, by its very definition, does not include the future.

9 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

No one can blame the Sedin's decline with age. Some fall quicker and harder then others. It is out of their control.

Defensively speaking, Edler has been horrendous shortly after he first came on the scene. Probably some of the lowest hockey IQ the NHL has to offer. He is a #2-3 AT BEST, but has been asked to be the #1 here logging huge minutes for quite some time and it exposes him routinely. 

I don't think people put "blame" so much on WD, as with anger towards his elite level of stubbornness, bewildering roster/line up/line choices and his refusal to deal with reality. The fact the team has been on a downfall since he got here is out of his control.

Seems to me many people are dramatizing the "blame" they came many are putting towards they players/staff rather then see it for what it is. 

I feel you nailed it with this post, the only thing I'll add is regarding the Sedins, and your right it's completely out of their control. It's so far out of their control because they're forced to continue playing 1st line minutes when in reality there should be other promising players and stars playing 1st line by now. Although because our previous GM wasn't the greatest at drafting, the Sedins are forced to continue logging huge minutes when they are already declining, they should of been 2nd line players this year, but I don't blame them at all, it's just it is what it is.

1 hour ago, FaxCap said:

My only problem with the Sedins is their 14 million dollar contract.  It keeps us from the "real" free agency market.

I want to see the Canucks draft forwards.....no more defencemen until they reach deep into the draft.

Draft size and tenacity....I want to see more grit on this team. I don't mean goons....I mean guys with high compete levels

Still haven't made up my mind about WD.  He's been a winning coach at all levels.....but "maybe" he's reached

1 level too high.

Heard a rumour from the Canucks dressing room that Tryamkin is not well liked. He has very few relationships with

team members.

Do tell where you get your info?

2 hours ago, FaxCap said:

1 level too high.

team members.

Where did you hear this rumor from? When they show him on the bench I see him talking, smiling and planning out plays with Stecher, Guddy, Sbisa, Hutton etc. He even talks to Miller when Miller stops a shot when he is on the ice.

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Where did you hear this rumor from? When they show him on the bench I see him talking, smiling and planning out plays with Stecher, Guddy, Sbisa, Hutton etc. He even talks to Miller when Miller stops a shot when he is on the ice.

probably more made up media garbage to discredit the team, management or players.

A lot here, it seems, are trying to lay blame to why the Canucks are bad. Blame the old guys, blame the youth, blame Willie, blame Megna, blame Benning because of his drafting, blame the owners. That's all this fan base does, is try to blame when things don't go how they want it. Pretty sad.

The Canucks are rebuilding, plain and simple. They aren't a good team right now. Accept that. It's okay.

Benning is turning this team around with his drafting and college pickups. He is giving this team a future.

If you want to blame anyone for this mess, blame Gillis. When he left, the cupboards were bare and they had a lot of NTCs. But don't blame Benning, in fact, support him because he's doing a good job.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If you want to blame anyone for this mess, blame Gillis. When he left, the cupboards were bare and they had a lot of NTCs. But don't blame Benning, in fact, support him because he's doing a good job.

Oh oh! Now the Guardian is gonna show up and blame you for blaming Gillis and go into a lengthy diatribe about how the current management has effed up the works

:emot-parrot:

Who were the prospects (NHL possible) when Gillis was here for those 6 years?

Gaunce, Jensen, Horvat, Hutton and Subban? He also drafted Schroeder and Hodgson 1st overalls. Good job Mikey. 

Now, who did Benning add since he arrived 3 years ago:

Virtanen, Boeser, Demko, Juolevi, Brisebois, Goldobin, Tryamkin, Boucher, Stecher, Shore, Gudbranson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Zhukenov, Lockwood...

Yay Benning

5 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I think it is more likely a result of the language barrier, rather than being 'not well liked'.

Agreed, when the players get interview questions about him they all smile and seem to say really good things about him. Langauge is most certainly an issue and having goldobin here can only help

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

A lot here, it seems, are trying to lay blame to why the Canucks are bad. Blame the old guys, blame the youth, blame Willie, blame Megna, blame Benning because of his drafting, blame the owners. That's all this fan base does, is try to blame when things don't go how they want it. Pretty sad.

The Canucks are rebuilding, plain and simple. They aren't a good team right now. Accept that. It's okay.

Benning is turning this team around with his drafting and college pickups. He is giving this team a future.

Ding ding ding! a prize for you!  correct answer!

6 hours ago, FaxCap said:

1 level too high.

team members.

I heard not a rumour but a fact

You have no insight nor does anyone here as to what goes on in the dressing room lol

Take your rumour mongering back to playschool kid - or maybe email Botch, he might give you a nuru massage for this kind of juicy gossip

Isn't this common sense, who could possibly blame the Sedin's? Horvat is going to *fingers crossed* be the first pick in a decade to be a difference making top six player for us, and he might not even be a first liner!

It's sad to say but I truly believe the Sedin's wasted the latter half of their careers dumping water off of a sinking ship. Their commitment and loyalty is admirable, but we most likely would have had a couple of first line talents in the pipleline without them by now.

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

When in doubt blame Gillis.

13 hours ago, khay said:

I agree that the team is just bad. Only if it were the Sedins of 2010... they would be scoring 80-90 points each and be able to carry this team to the playoffs. 

I think they were getting too many minutes early on in the season, which led to a rather sudden drop off in the level of play. They were not as bad as they are now in the first 25 games of the season. 

I think if WD is back next season or if it's someone else, the coaching staff will have to understand that to get the most out from the Sedins for the full season, you have to keep the Sedins' minutes to at most 15 per game. That means Bo will have to play almost 20 minutes, Sutter, 17 minutes, and Henrik about 14 minutes, and the 4th line center about 9 minutes. Furthermore, it would be beneficial for the team if they are split up. Just to allocate different skillset across the lines.

As it stands this is our line up for next season:

Baertschi-Horvat-Eriksson

Granlund-Henrik-Goldobin

Daniel-Sutter-Boeser

It doesn't seems like a playoff roster barring major, I mean, major step up of play from basically everyone :( 

Your post makes a lot of sense.  The Sedins should be use as the second line if for nothing else but to give Horvat a chance to continue his trajectory.  Play them on the PP when they are fresh.  Or even split them up and play them like two first lines the way Bowman did when he had Hull Yzerman Federov and Robataille reducing them down to 17 min a game tops.  They won't make an effective third line of shutdown pairing as most stars become as they age ... Too bad WD haven't figured this out yet.  Still this team is bad so we should manage our expectations even with a new coach 

Archived