The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kings, Canucks to play two preseason games in China

-Vintage Canuck-

35 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Far as I know, the NHL does want to take them there, it's the owners that don't want it.

The NHLPA has no official position on the next two Olympics although some players have publicly stated they want to go.  Foremost is Ovechkin who will go regardless of the NHL schedule and has full support from Washington ownership to do so despite veiled threats from Buttman and co inferring suspensions for players that dont follow their decision.

This suggests that solidarity among owners is somewhat divided.  Everytime a solution has been offered regarding the leagues concerns ( by league I mean the NHL not the players) Buttman remains non-committal.  First it was insurance money and travel costs suggested in the ten million range that the Olympic Committee decided not to pay this time as an excuse not to go along with the obvious scheduling issues which they have managed just fine since 1998... Then the International Hockey Association said they would pay the expenses and Bettman still remains non committal.  

Personally I think the backlash if they don't go isn't worth the trouble and the owners should find a way to keep these guys in the Olympic.  Their comic tournament last summer was a bit of a joke.  The World Championship without some of the best players was more entertaining....

Bettman continues his sneaky campaign to axe the Olympics with his announcement of these pre-season games IMO (2018 games).

At some point I hope the owners wise up and get new leadership...He's great at making money for them but he's caused too many lookouts and continues his ridiculous American campaign with Quebec not getting their club before Vegas going right back to Atlanta....Arizona hanging by a thread...Bet once the Vegas shine wears off this franchise is going to have serious issues with such a limited possible fan base with locals mostly working nights...Good luck.  

That's my rant for the day.  Let's hope we don't have an Ohlund repeat this time out in Asia.

Having been to China a few times and in both Beijing and Shanghai I will go on record to say that events like this is more a status experience for wealthy egos than it is an event for the curious or hockey loving fans.

Maybe Bettman wants to entice billionaires to buy a failed/failing franchise to secure the weak locations he has expanded into years ago?

Not a fan.  It's too far away, and the jet lag can be a bitch.  

I wonder if they will have a shorter exhibition schedule as a result of this decision.  Hope the boys can keep healthy, and get a little time to enjoy the experience.

Maybe instead of their training camp Grouse Grind competition, they can run the Great Wall instead? ;) 

1 hour ago, 6string said:

Maybe Bettman wants to entice billionaires to buy a failed/failing franchise to secure the weak locations he has expanded into years ago?

What a nightmare that would be.

Bettman should have had his ass in the can years ago. Yes it's a business and the money side of it needs to be dealt with, but that artard doesn't care one bit about the game itself.
He's been in charge of the NHL for 24 years 
Nobody in that kind of position should have that job for that long. Ever heard the term "power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" ?

What, there aren't other guys out there who are capable, PASSIONATE hockey men who would love to run this league? Gimme a break... Buttman, the window licker form Queens. 

My two cents is that I would never leave my two cents with any despot until they cleaned up their human rights record.

The huge Chinese population in Vancouver, lives in Vancouver because its not China.

Mildly disappointed, but not at all surprised.

3 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Was just thinking that this team doesn't travel enough now, so this is a fine plan.

Agree. Let's make sure the Canucks players are exhausted before the season has even started.

Why wouldn't two teams from the east to go to China instead? They hardly travel during the season next to the Kings and Canucks.

This idea is actually bad. Canucks could get injured or god forbid more food poisoning, to start their season. Also, it's advertising Vancouver in China. Great.

And I should clarify, I have nothing against Asian people. I'm just not a fan of having to squeeze into a Skytrain every day and there are already too many cars on the road.

They shouldn't bring the regular NHL players to go oversea, but rather, split them up and fly there, use rookies and on bubbles players to fight it out over there.   It's pointless unless they plan to hold a camp over there and two exhibition games.   I would prefer them to start the season in the east coast road trip with Utica to host a main training camp and exhibition home games instead to save their wear and tear overall.  

2 hours ago, Neil HD said:

Hopefully one of the guys watches YouTube and is subbed to Mikey Chen. That guy has a lot to say about Chinese cuisine

Last thing we need is players on the shelf because they ate plastic rice

Also...

It was hard to figure out because I am not good at political discourse but what I think he is saying is PANDA PANDA PANDA PANDA

6 hours ago, numb3r 16 said:

If the NHL wants exposure screw all these stupid preseason games and take the players to the Olympics.

If you actually hear Gary Bettman, he makes total sense.  After watching his conference in Van recently, I fully get his point.

Archived