The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] Boeser expected to sign with the Canucks soon

KyoNami

Boeser signs is ELC with Van in the next couple of days, and will debut on a line with Horvat and Baertschi.. The REAL kid line will be complete, and until substantial moves are made, that will be our top line very soon.  PS.  have you all been noticing the Sedin line since Horvat has been pegged as the #1 threat by opposing teams?  Henrik is suddenly putting up goals!

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

They can do one of 2 things with Boeser

1. Sign him to the Canucks and let him play 6 or 7 struggling mean nothing games, or
  2. Sign him to a try out with the Comets and have him chip in with a team on a playoff push in a league that is a step above what he is use to in US College

The first option means blowing a year on his ELC.  I guess you all can figure out what I think.

I'm curious if he can get 2 birds stoned at once by playing the requirement to blow the year off his ELC then go to Utica??????

1 hour ago, The Weasel said:

exactly this and i'm pretty sure the canucks are okay with doing this. 

ya sign the guy and who cares - jesus he's our best offensive prospect right now pretty darn important to get him signed 

at tbh he's older than junior players who get the same deal - no reason not to just sign him

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'm curious about this could he play for Utica if he hasn't already been signed and papered down? If he can the could he get 2 birds stoned at once by playing the requirement to blow the year off his ELC then go to Utica??????

Unfortunately it would have to be either a pro tryout with Utica for their playoff push or ELC with the Canucks. Can't have both. 

+1 for the Trailer Park Boys reference though :lol:

Just checked out Brock's Twitter account,.  Within the last month or so are are congratulatory postings to a couple of College Hockey Pals who have recently jumped to the NHL,.  and another posting with a pic , what seems to be of his Dad in..  a Canucks Hat...

just sayin...   if that's not a sign that he is  leaning on the dasher to play soon,.  then  Punxsutawney Phil is going to predict six more weeks of winter. ;) 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I'm curious if he can get 2 birds stoned at once by playing the requirement to blow the year off his ELC then go to Utica??????

Why couldn't we do what Pittsburg did with Aston-Reese? Brock burns a year off of his contract and we get him playing with the Comets and hopefully 

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed college free agent forward Zach Aston-Reese to a two-year, entry-level contract, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Jim Rutherford.

The contract will begin with the 2017-18 season and run through the 2018-19 campaign. 

Aston-Reese will report to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this weekend on an amateur tryout contract this year.

1 minute ago, Whale Tail said:

Why couldn't we do what Pittsburg did with Aston-Reese? Brock burns a year off of his contract and we get him playing with the Comets and hopefully 

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed college free agent forward Zach Aston-Reese to a two-year, entry-level contract, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Jim Rutherford.

The contract will begin with the 2017-18 season and run through the 2018-19 campaign. 

Aston-Reese will report to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this weekend on an amateur tryout contract this year.

I like it!

They don't need to sign him. Megna is healthy and supposed to be back in a couple games. He is already skating and plays Willie and his "system" to a tee.

Boeser wouldn't get to play much anyways. Not without a few practices for Willie to say he's got a good shot but like he doesn't know our systems yet and has to understand the process game is a 2 way game.

Also he can't play on the power play obviously.

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Knowing WD, he wouldn't play right away either, "has to get in a couple of practices first".  Thats if WD is going to be consistent about his message across all young players.

But in all seriousness, I agree, starting in utica to acclimatize his mind and body to the pro game will do him more good than play a few throw away games when this team is hardly trying anymore.

We have a lot of guys playing for jobs, young guys looking to improve. I don't think "hardly anyone is trying" is accurate. Handling of Jake goes to show no matter who you are you better be prepared to work and be consistent.

1 hour ago, Whale Tail said:

At Boeser's age, he is required to sign a 3 year ELC. I don't believe the length ELC's are negotiable, as the CBA gives a direct chart for them:

• 18-21 years of age: 3 years
  • 22-23 years of age: 2 years
  • 24 years of age: 1 year

Basically the CBA just says this is the contract, but doesn't expand or have provisions. I believe a story came out that Benning tried to sign tryamkin to 3 year deal, but the league denied the contract. 

EDIT: Boeser won't want to "sacrifice" an entire year of the ELC just to play in the AHL. And once he signs an NHL contract for this year he can't play in the AHL playoffs. Needed to be a roster player before the March 1st trade deadline. If he signed an ATO he would be available, however.

Archived