The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The next 5 months critical to quick turn around (Discussion)

Hi ya all!

Well, the reason I say the next 5 months, is that, I hope and pray that the Canuck Brass do not jump the gun...what do I mean?

#1. We have done a proper evaluation of our team, before the Expansion draft......meaning are we as deep on Defense as Jim as said? Can we afford to trade a Dman? Can we afford to offer a pick not to take a certain player, is that player worth protecting? Will it be worth picking up a player that another team wants to move before the Trade Deadline? It will depend of course on what Jim thinks, but unless it is a huge upgrade for the asset we trade for, I am more inclined to stay the course, and take our lumps, unless a team wants to give us a pick or an exempt player for our extra Dman.....just don't think most teams will give up much, unless you give alot.......I mean why would a team give up a young 1st or 2nd line player with potential for that....don't see it!

#2. Entry Draft...........This is where we should trade any extra DMen we have to move up the draft, "If" we pick well in this draft, and stay the course, we end up with our Offensive #1 Center, to me it is imperative, as 2018 draft will be where we complete our rebuild. Let me explain........An offensive #1 Center keeps Bo away from #1 Opposing DMen, Bo who is playing at a bottom end 1st line Center and is projected by most to score at a 60ish to 70 points a season rate, would deal with a whole lot less pressure. Trading up to the #1 or 2 spot this year, may give us that Offensive #1 Center, this will allow us tremendous flexibity at the 2018 Entry Draft........don't fool yourself, these two drafts are very much connected to each other and our future success. (I honestly think we have enough supporting cast)

#3. Free Agency.......the long and short is, we should not pick up any veterans that will upgrade our talent, maybe as a filler. A 3rd or 4th liner if need be, but again this is not the year to be trying to pick up a UFA of any value, and such should let Miller pass, and move on......I wish Miller the best, but he probably gave us an extra 10 points.......I wish him luck, but Jim should pick a one year contract to fill in behind Markstrom (beside for the 3rd and 4th line forwards, it is where we should be using the Archibalds, Greniers, Cassels, etc......leaving the young core to stay down and rippen)

Nxet on the list is, the dog days of summer, where GM's have a habit of over thinking their  teams reality and thinking one more move is all they need......Jim scares me on this on a little, as he does seem to believe totally that he can do this quickly and with coaching.........great  drafter, decent trader, maybe not such a good strategist

Beginning of the season...........there are always player movements around this time...........we must stay out course this one year, and not improve the team from the outside, we should hold, and let this next year percolate and the young one get the experience  on the farm......do not waver....keep them down, allow the one by one to come and play a few games than change them........then back to Utica 

This is a 5 month comittment and Jim need to stay on cours.............

Of course Jimbo has to address the 2018 Entry Draft, wher we should be fioccusing on a 1 to 3 pick........we should not out any pressure on the coach or TL to increase perfomance, not to 2o18 draftlne.

I hope the plans work out!

Cheers Paul

16 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Of course Jimbo has to address the 2018 Entry Draft, wher we should be fioccusing on a 1 to 3 pick........we should not out any pressure on the coach or TL to increase perfomance, not to 2o18 draftlne.

I don't think any team will aim to finish last. A GM can do that by making the roster worse, but players/coach will try to win every game. Fans should want a high pick, but players will never tank on purpose. 

With that being said, I think we will finish near the bottom anyways lol

Barring a trade, I think the 2018 draft is the most likely place that we find our next no 1 center. We'll likely be a bottom feeder again next season, and next years draft is supposed to be decently stacked, so that's our best bet imo.

That being said, I think we should use our 2017 1st to try and nab a Dman...Someone that can be a true PP quarterback, which would allow us to possibly move one of Hutton/Tanev + for a forward. If we can nab a PP QB, move Hutton/Tanev for a young top 6 forward, and draft our next no 1 center in next years draft, I think we're sitting in a pretty good spot, and can legitimately start actually trying to be competitive again.

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Barring a trade, I think the 2018 draft is the most likely place that we find our next no 1 center. We'll likely be a bottom feeder again next season, and next years draft is supposed to be decently stacked, so that's our best bet imo.

That being said, I think we should use our 2017 1st to try and nab a Dman...Someone that can be a true PP quarterback, which would allow us to possibly move one of Hutton/Tanev + for a forward. If we can nab a PP QB, move Hutton/Tanev for a young top 6 forward, and draft our next no 1 center in next years draft, I think we're sitting in a pretty good spot, and can legitimately start actually trying to be competitive again.

Sam Reinhart?  :P

I agree fully, I hope the Canucks pick a d-man in this years draft. 2018 is rumoured to have some high end talent in it and I think the Canucks should (and will) pick a top end forward. 

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Not that I disagree I think 2018 is probably a draft we get an elite player in I do however think that JB might be able to swindle a future 1/2C from an earlier draft class. I could really see JB targeting guys like Keller, Rubtsov, Kamenev, Jost, Dvorak I also think we draft a C this year unless we are drafting out of the top 5 and Vilardi Mittlestadt are both gone and Liljegren dropped in our lap.

I am of the thought that if we end up with the 4 to 7 spot in this draft, we really work hard at getting the 1st or 2nd over all pick. What defense-man do we use to get there and do we get anything (pluses) back? For instance, does our pick (4th OA) and Tanev/Hutton which are valued differently, get us a 1st overall  or a 1st OA plus.

I think there is enough talent in the 1st and 2nd OA picks this year, to make that move this year, and pick up our first line centerman, leaving us with drafting the BPA next year, despite position, which is the way you don't miss out on guys like Tkachuk or that offensive player that you can't takebecause you have to take the next guy who is a center,,,,,,,,because you didn't take one last year

My point is , this draft has 3 centers up at the top, that all slate to be first line centers, and because there are no McDavids or Mathews there, and we should be so close in picks, it will be less expensive this time around.

But just as important, is that Benning not run around and fill in holes with more short term 2nd and 3rd line guys (like Eriksson), that make us competitive in the short run (2 to 3 yrs), but take us just out of contention for the high end elite players that are ear marked in the upper end of the 2018 Entry Draft, which then takes us just out of that top 6 cup contending team in the future.

Yhis rebuild is almost over in my opinion...stay the course!

Benning has done a fantastic job stocking the cupboards, however, we're still missing two of the most important pieces. A true no 1 center and a true no 1 Dman/PP quarterback.

Hopefully we can nab both in the next couple of drafts. If we can, it's off to the races.

Picking up a FA stay at home D on a short term deal might be needed depending on who / if Jim can move a D for a F this off-season, and we might need a backup for Marky if Miler signs in Cali. But other than that I can't see a lot of activity on the FA market, there's no point. 

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'd rather have a couple of years of pain, and lead to Stanley Cup than a "quick turnaround". Look at Colorado when they drafted MacKinnon, they had a quick turnaround made the playoffs, then crashed and burned. 

I wouldn't call the past 4 seasons a quick turn around. JB has done a good job getting the right pieces that will be ready to compete at the same time in their development ark. JB got a goalie and a PF in his first draft the 2 positions that take the longest to develop. Then JB turned his attention to the D picking up Tram, Hutton, Breezy, Gud, Juolevi, Stetcher, thats a solid group of young D in the system meanwhile also picking up some scoring in Baer, Granlund, Boeser and at this deadline he traded 2 of our long time role players for 2 high upside offensive players in Dahlen, Goldie. The most important thing is that all of these kids will be ready to peak around the same time and I don't think JB is done adding prospects further along in their development. I am really impressed with how this team is being put together. Add in a top 5 pick this year and next and I think we can call the rebuild complete. 

There are no similarities to Colorado in our rebuild. We have D and goaltending and youth at every position not just an elite fwd or 2 with no supporting cast. 

4 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Picking up a FA stay at home D on a short term deal might be needed depending on who / if Jim can move a D for a F this off-season, and we might need a backup for Marky if Miler signs in Cali. But other than that I can't see a lot of activity on the FA market, there's no point. 

His name is Scott Darling. 

5 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

That would be a tandem I'd be very happy with.... Marky and Darling could actually keep us very competitive. 

Absolutely. I love Darling. For many reasons involving his ability, size, and his last name. But, most importantly, his mask:

Image result for scott darling wayne's world

22 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

i like that thinking a lot.

I think we will be able to draft either Makar or Liljegren this year, preferably Makar because i hear he has more upside , however either of which i would be thrilled with. I think this would really solidify our d core for the future.

Providing we then move Tanev for a young scoring forward, i would be happy if our future d core looks something like this.

Juolevi - Makar/Liljegren

Tyramkin - Stetcher

Hutton - Subban

Brisebois

23 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Of course Jimbo has to address the 2018 Entry Draft, wher we should be fioccusing on a 1 to 3 pick

I don't think this team is as bad as some people think it is.

These guys are professionals and they play to win and once things start to click they will start to win consistently.

I actually agree with you Garth

My thoughts are only based on our voids......1 top end center and 1 offensive defenseman..............I am ok  with Jim picking  the Dman first, and the center the year after....or visa versa, and I am sure it will all be decided by where we draft at and what is a available when it is our pick. 

I fight with myself about "tanking" all the time, but honestly, if I accept what everyone else has been saying, we have just been that bad and have not had to intentionally, tank, imagine where our rebuild would be if we would have been a few picks earlier in the last few drafts.

Now, this is not directed at you, but everyone knows that players play to win, and coaches coach to win, but coaches play with what the GM gives them to play with, so tanking can only occur from the GM on up.....they are the ones that decide

So next year, in a deep draft, I believe we need to be in a position to get the best possible player we can, and I honestly believe that after that draft, we will be set, as our team depth will/should be extremely deep.

What I see, is that other than our next 2 firsts, if Jim can pull another couple players out of our 2nds, 3rds and 4ths in the next 2 years, we will be as deep as the very deepest teams in the NHL

As for now, I cringe every time we score, and win....then look at the standings, then realize that I should sit back and watch, and wait and see what happens, then I see we are not as far away form our goal as I feared........

I also take some time to enjoy the game some how........I am actually impressed how hard our team is working right now.....I like it!

Archived