The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The next 5 months critical to quick turn around (Discussion)

On 2017-03-25 at 1:42 PM, zzbottom said:

His name is Scott Darling. 

This thought has crossed my mind.
Darling is probably better than Markstrom at this stage, tbh.
Would be a fantastic duo because both are fighting to establish themselves as not only starting goaltenders, but career goaltenders.

Sidenote:

I personally buy into the notion that this is a 'weaker' draft, but some of you are really underplaying Mr. Patrick.
He put up 102 points in the regular season and 30 in the playoffs in his draft MINUS 1 year.

He's 6'3 and competes hard. Kid can shoot, kid can pass.

We've been so spoiled by some sensational players in the last couple drafts that it's almost unfair to Nolan to be compared to McDavid or Matthews. But people are acting like there's no value in that 1st OA pick, when really... we land a player like that and our entire outlook changes dramatically.

He's not a saviour-type, but with the nucleus we have in place (ESPECIALLY with Bo leading the youth charge and already pencilled in as the next captain) we have room for guys like Patrick (and Boeser, and Goldobin) to play strict offensive roles. 

It would be very very hard to leave Nico Hischier on the board, because his ceiling is literally the second-coming of Pavel Bure. But with Nolan there's no real risk. He's got the size to play in the West, and he is a point-producer. This ain't no Jake Virtanen, fellas.

But of course, Canuck luck, so we won't get the pick.

I personally would not be opposed to Jimbo trying to climb up the draft order via trade, but the gap between Nolan at 1st and some of the other big centres available in the top 10 probably isn't worth it.

Alls I'm saying, Nolan Patrick is pretty damn good.

On 3/24/2017 at 10:50 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Barring a trade, I think the 2018 draft is the most likely place that we find our next no 1 center. We'll likely be a bottom feeder again next season, and next years draft is supposed to be decently stacked, so that's our best bet imo.

That being said, I think we should use our 2017 1st to try and nab a Dman...Someone that can be a true PP quarterback, which would allow us to possibly move one of Hutton/Tanev + for a forward. If we can nab a PP QB, move Hutton/Tanev for a young top 6 forward, and draft our next no 1 center in next years draft, I think we're sitting in a pretty good spot, and can legitimately start actually trying to be competitive again.

we;ll to me Bo or Dahlin would be our 1 C

On 2017-03-25 at 0:10 AM, Jaku said:

Sam Reinhart?  :P

I agree fully, I hope the Canucks pick a d-man in this years draft. 2018 is rumoured to have some high end talent in it and I think the Canucks should (and will) pick a top end forward. 

On 2017-03-24 at 10:50 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Barring a trade, I think the 2018 draft is the most likely place that we find our next no 1 center. We'll likely be a bottom feeder again next season, and next years draft is supposed to be decently stacked, so that's our best bet imo.

That being said, I think we should use our 2017 1st to try and nab a Dman...Someone that can be a true PP quarterback, which would allow us to possibly move one of Hutton/Tanev + for a forward. If we can nab a PP QB, move Hutton/Tanev for a young top 6 forward, and draft our next no 1 center in next years draft, I think we're sitting in a pretty good spot, and can legitimately start actually trying to be competitive again.

I like the idea but the problem is timing.

i believe the expansion draft is first and if JB did this trade before then he would have to expose Baertschi or Granlund.

I guess that would be ok if Reinhart were coming back. Nucks seem stronger at wing now.

Trading Hutton and Tanev would allow JB to protect Sbisa. He could then draft a potential ppqb with 1st round pick in draft this year.

Top 8 defence next year:

Edler. Stetcher 

Tryamkin Gudbranson

Sbisa Biega/Subban

Pedan

Pedan could be replaced with OJ and I suppose Liljegren or 1st pick could also make the team(?) but with the exception of Virtanen and McCann who I believe they rushed, the Canucks have done a good job of not rushing their prospects.

I think it has cost those two guys a lot of set backs so I hope hey don't rush any d-men.

I thought timing would be more of an issue but actually works out. With that defence and knowing the typical number of injuries I think the Nucks would be heading for another high pick in the filllowing draft.

I feel sorry for Tanev if he gets traded to Buffalo as they never seem to turn the corner. Maybe with those two guys they get a lot better.

I have not seen what Buffalo's protection list for the up and coming expansion draft, but what about

Reinhart and Buffalo's 2018 2nd

for 

Tanev, Sutter and Subban + Columbus's 2017 2nd

That is an rare # 2 RHD plus a multi-purpose Center who can play on the first line to the 3rd line, is defensively aware, and can play hard minutes, Subban may have a much better time of it in the east

I think this is what Buffalo need's to make them a playoff team, while keeping their 1st picks in the next 2 drafts. * Note.....Reinhart is a projected 1st line Offensive player, but not a elite player, by any means. He will speed up our rebuild and will allow us to take the BPA and not look back at any positional concerns while deciding who to take.

As for Buffalo's reason's they do this...Sutter basically takes Reinhart's position in the line up, and Tanev  stabilizes a young defenceman, Subban and the Columbus 2nd softens our ask for the 2018 2nd.

Some will say that is not enough for Reinhart, but we would be giving up 2 of our core to get 1 of theirs.....this works on so many levels for Buffalo. Buffalo needs some mature veterans that are starters or 2nd line players. Nothing to sneeze up.

If Sutter does to wave to Buffalo, maybe a 3 way could be done, with an additional cost to us.

Adding a 2017 1st, a 2017 2nd, a 2018 1st, a 2018 2nd, and Reinhart to our stable over the next 15 months, puts us light years ahead of our present position, as our other young prospects begin to ripen and move onto our big club.

Our vets should come from free agency or the combination of trading another 2019 pick and a young asset to get that mid to later twenty's player that can help mentor and protect our younger players..

In any case, it will be interesting how Benning plays this next 5 months......most likely a lot different than anything I DREAM UP.

Archived