The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Wild

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, BoDangles53 said:

same - and oddly none of them seem to be 'busting' - well concerns over virtanen are fair, seems to be more a maturity issue which is correcting itself in utica

can't say many coaches can take players like baer who was 1/2 way to europe the way he was playing, granny who everyone said who and screamed who we gave up for him, stech, try, hutton, sbisa etc and turn them into what he has in such a short period and still not get any credit from fans

we're we supposed to fire AV a couple of years in too? 

Patience, most fans (people) don't have that quality. Most want it all, NOW. We are rebuilding (re-tooling, refreshing, etc.) I suffered thru many years in the 80s and late 90s waiting, but understood the process.

4 hours ago, ajhockey said:

To be fair, Yzerman became a premier defensive forward in his twilight years.

He also should have won a Conn Smythe in 2002 @ 37 leading the Wings in playoff scoring on one &^@#ing knee..... 

6 minutes ago, spook007 said:

What the f... is wrong with you and these negative $&!#e comments...

WE just won a game, our newest prospect scored the GWG... what did you expect? Get a life or get laid... you surely need something to cheer you up.

yeah there are some major trolls here - i can't wait to see them lose their minds if willie gets extended lol

I can't say I don't some times shake my head at his decisions but i also don't ignore all the good he's accomplished with our future core 

You can't criticize him for things when he makes errors yet ignore his successes and say he's not a part of those successes and that players are developing in spite of his coaching

that is sheer and utter nonsense

4 hours ago, BoDangles53 said:

Piss poor? Steve Yzerman scored at a .50ppg pace at 36 and the same as the twins at 37 

SMH I think you forget they are human - most players at that age, decline dude

Yes well said. Thank you

2 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Patience, most fans (people) don't have that quality. Most want it all, NOW. We are rebuilding (re-tooling, refreshing, etc.) I suffered thru many years in the 80s and late 90s waiting, but understood the process.

we are the same vintage my friend, that's why I can appreciate how well Willie is setting us up for the future  - most here clearly don't know how coaching can bust players as they never saw the teams in the 70's and 80's - remember laforge! lol

Good god almighty this team has self-destruct built into it's DNA

It looks like Alf could be right about Brock, he could be the real thing after all,

So why?.....WHY? did they feel it necessary to sacrifice the team's draft position, by bringing him in with nothing left to play for?

This is the ultimate Canuck move, I'm actually expecting us to go on a win-streak that takes us from top 5 to 11-12 in the draft. I have seen this movie before

Then next year we will play .500 WITH Brock scoring 30 and we will have wasted our prime drafting years.

This won't work because a cup team NEEDS 2 star centers and almost always needs a #1 D-man, that's the bottom line, no 2 star centers? NO CUP

We may make the playoffs a few times in the upcoming era but we will NEVER win a cup unless we address that need, and the ONLY WAY to address that need is through the draft. Expecting to get a star center or #1 any other way is like saying you've taken care of your retirement through buying lottery tickets. This team 

It may be a good 15 years before we are in striking distance of the types of players that we need, the last time we were there (Not including the last two botched drafts) was 1999, when we got the Sedins, think about it.

The question is rhetorical because I know Aqua wants him here to showcase for us season ticket holder, he's playing for renewals that it. But every goal he scores between now and the end of the year is further driving this team away from the Cup it will probably never win,

4 hours ago, ajhockey said:

To be fair, only two of those guys were any sort of exciting, but still, Willie really seems to know how to get bad rosters to play their heart out.

This... sorry bud out of +'s, but this deserves 10... 

3 minutes ago, BoDangles53 said:

Its not just the system this is the part people who've never played a real sport at a high level dont get - not saying that was on you but its a common misconception here obviously

Practice is for systems, team work, pp/pk, zone entries, defensive positioning and yes if you get it wrong coaches yell at you etc but its about the team at practice. And your effort and ability to take in that information, run the drills properly, be in position, work your tail off then lead to coaches giving you ice, and if you don't screw up more ice

BUT that's not the coaching willie does or his staff on a PLAYER DEVELOPMENT leve

On the development side, these coaches spend hours up on hours watching film, then sit one on one with players pointing out errors, strengths, what they need to work on etc. That is where coaching and development occur - in the film room

People have no clue here, seriously

Thanks for this because my choice of words was not right.  Of course the term "system" in hockey refers to how things are done on the ice.

I am more of a business guy and my use of the term comes from a management perspective.  I mean that he has a way of doing things off ice and it's goal is to make players play with a certain mind set.  It over arches what is done on the ice as well .

37 minutes ago, bohoforpresident said:

Definitely prefer the rock references over the acdc references for Brock boeser. Acdc only has one drum beat FFS. 

Also botchford.. if you're reading this.. if I ever see you I'm going to have to beat you up. Completely personal. 

I know.

they're that good.

3 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

It looks like Alf could be right about Brock, he could be the real thing after all,

So why?.....WHY? did they feel it necessary to sacrifice the team's draft position, by bringing him in with nothing left to play for?

This is the ultimate Canuck move, I'm actually expecting us to go on a win-streak that takes us from top 5 to 11-12 in the draft. I have seen this movie before

Then next year we will play .500 WITH Brock scoring 30 and we will have wasted our prime drafting years.

This won't work because a cup team NEEDS 2 star centers and almost always needs a #1 D-man, that's the bottom line, no 2 star centers? NO CUP

We may make the playoffs a few times in the upcoming era but we will NEVER win a cup unless we address that need, and the ONLY WAY to address that need is through the draft. Expecting to get a star center or #1 any other way is like saying you've taken care of your retirement through buying lottery tickets. This team 

It may be a good 15 years before we are in striking distance of the types of players that we need, the last time we were there (Not including the last two botched drafts) was 1999, when we got the Sedins, think about it.

The question is rhetorical because I know Aqua wants him here to showcase for us season ticket holder, he's playing for renewals that it. But every goal he scores between now and the end of the year is further driving this team away from the Cup it will probably never win,

call the wambulance someone! chicken little says the sky is falling!

14 minutes ago, mll said:

Nashville has been good at developing Ds but they pick BPA in the 1st.  They were actually expecting to pick Barkov but he went 2nd and Jones somehow was available and despite needing a C they picked him because he was BPA.  

They go BPA because it's so hard to predict if players will develop into NHLers so they aim for the best chance to get a player regardless of position.  It then allows to trade for need re the Jones-Johansen trade.  

Makes sense.  Interesting that it took Poile 18 years to get a #1C even so

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Linden 6:16,

"And the Hockey Gods said, Let there be Brock. And there was Brock. And it was Gud."

Yeah Baby... bring it on.... Let there be guitars and there were guitars... LET THERE BE BROCK......

23 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

Plus we lose a year of Brock's ELC for the privilege of drafting worse this year, just to see him play nine meaningless games or so.

I'm glad he's off to a good start, but I really didn't think Jim Benning would blow a year of the ELC just to try to hype the fans up for the last few games of the season.

I really don't see how people can think Boeser might need to spend time in the AHL next year and also be glad that a year of his ELC was used up for the tail end of this year.  The same people preaching patience in some areas of the team's development seem to have given in to impatience when it comes to seeing Brock for a few games with the whale on his chest.

19 minutes ago, BoDangles53 said:

we are the same vintage my friend, that's why I can appreciate how well Willie is setting us up for the future  - most here clearly don't know how coaching can bust players as they never saw the teams in the 70's and 80's - remember laforge! lol

Bill was a different animal from Willie for sure. Rennie was a bust too. We have some much potential compared to other down times tho. Looking forward to a winning team (long term) in the future.

27 minutes ago, BoDangles53 said:

yeah there are some major trolls here - i can't wait to see them lose their minds if willie gets extended lol

I can't say I don't some times shake my head at his decisions but i also don't ignore all the good he's accomplished with our future core 

You can't criticize him for things when he makes errors yet ignore his successes and say he's not a part of those successes and that players are developing in spite of his coaching

that is sheer and utter nonsense

Out of ="s.... again.

Totally agree.

7 minutes ago, spook007 said:

This... sorry bud out of +'s, but this deserves 10... 

Agreed,

The scapegoating of WD by people who have never played prints the tale of their ignorance in big bold italics.

People with even the smallest amount of experience on the ice can tell when a team is trying to get rid of it's coach, and when a team likes playing for him,

I have never once seen this team look like it was trying to get WD fired, in fact, at times when it seemed he was on the hot seat the team has played over it's head and pulled out some wins.

These guys like playing for WD, from what I can tell he treats them like professionals and they understand why he makes the calls he does. Considering where this team has been at I really don't understand why people think we are a coaching change away from greatness.

He still doesn't get credit for the masterful way be brought Horvat along, obviously shielding him from media scrutiny and taking any potential heat onto himself, Glen Sather couldn't have done it any better.

It is actually pretty entertaining seeing all these posts for the coach vs those against the coach. It has always been this way since hockey had fans. You will always have those that will find fault in the coaching and those that will support the coaching and that's okay because it makes for lively debate on boards like this.

The truth is that fans will always scrutinize coaching decisions for their team because a: they want their team to win every game and b: when they don't win every game the coach must have played a role in that not happening.

Personally, I think coaches at the NHL level are very qualified and make far more good decisions than bad. Even those coaches, that fans claim are incompetent, are far more qualified as coaches than us fans are so I would defer to their decision making over mine. Doesn't mean any of us can't have opinions though as that is part of being a fan.

I think the attached article from a fan/media perspective sums up how many detractors feel about our coach. Do these sound familiar?

"Without fail, every time I’ve criticized the coach I get told he’s an NHL coach and he knows what he’s doing.  Conversely, I am an idiot, and I don’t coach in the NHL."

"  A developing team needs to develop it’s players."

"XXX should be playing. Frankly, he ought to be paired with YYY and ZZZ on what would likely be a devastatingly effective top-line."

"It’s unbelievable they aren’t playing XXX.  It’s also unacceptable."

The funny thing is that these comments are all directed at Mike Babcock so I guess it shows that all coaches are fair game for criticism from fans and Media. Willie is in pretty good company here. ::D

http://editorinleaf.com/2017/03/16/toronto-maple-leafs-ridiculous-horrible-lineup-decisions/

Archived