The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Wild

-Vintage Canuck-

39 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

Granlund, in my opinion, was Anson Carter 2017, losing him will have a negligible effect, I think you could have slotted several players into where he was playing with similar or better results.

Brock is a potential spark plug, take a look at the game today first star, first goal in his first game. Plugs rarely achieve that in their first game, which leads me to my retort:

OF COURSE one player can ruin a draft position, a couple of wins can drop your position significantly did  Brock not score the GWG today?

It great that Brock looks like the real thing, but to win a cup you have to control center ice you HAVE to have TWO star centers, it's mandatory, your top two centers make your team what it is along with you're #1 D-man, hoping to get those pieces via trade or F.A is, as I've said before, banking your retirement on buying a lottery ticket every day. People don't give up those pieces once they have them, and if they are forced to you are competing against 30 other teams to get them. you HAVE to draft your top two centers and #1 D-man

So far we have one of those three pieces, courtesy of Mike Gillis.

A glut of talented (or potentially talented) wingers and 18-20 minute D-men may win us a playoff round or two over the next 15 years and supply some winning seasons too, but ask yourself, do you want to win a cup, or just make it to the 2nd round a few times?

If you want to win a cup there is a price to be paid, you have to pull out all the stops to get rare and precious puzzle pieces necessary to do it. The Canucks haver almost never done that which is why fans in this market aren't used to seeing what a team that really wants to win does when they are in their prime drafting years.

Pat Quin did it, how many people here know that the Canucks pulled a scam to draft Bure? Look at the Penguins did in transitioning from Mario to Crosby? Do you honestly think they just got LUCKY to get two of the best of all time? Sat around waiting for them to drop into their lap? "Oh look two more all-time greats in Malkin and Crosby, gee whiz how did we get so LUCKY?"

If you want it you have to go GET IT, there is a price to be paid

There is no super star so relax dude. We will be picking in the top ten and there will be some solid talent. Patrick and Hischier are not worth crying over. Cody Glass may turn out to be just as good. Vilimaki could be the best D man. 

This will be one of those years where a redo after a few years will be an eye opener. 

3 hours ago, BoDangles53 said:

lol players don't develop in spite of their coaches kid

go play a sport - you might learn how wrong you are

Oh making up stories to fit your 'narrative' doesn't make them reality = ie Tryamkin, Stecher and Hutton lol, oh you ignored Sbisa 

Oh and learn something about why players are 'sheltered' as Bo was - 

You have ZERO clue of what player development entails and the verbal diarrhea you just spewed proves it

Unpopular but I agree 100%. Kids are being sheltered and developed properly.

3 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Actually, no he didn't. I seriously doubt that we will have a salary cap problem two years from now and let's for argument sake say that we give him a $5M contract till age 26 (year before he hits free agency). If we give him the same contract the following year he would still have a $5M contract expiring when he is 26. The ONLY year that it would impact the Canucks' cap would be for the 2019/20 season when his existing contract calls for him to hit RFA status.. I really doubt that one season, two years from now, will create any type of cap problems for us.

I would have been worried if it had meant he would reach UFA a year earlier but that is not the case here.

If I read this right the main issue is that his UFA status is at 26 now rather than a year later at 27 if he signed in the summer. 

Signing him now just means that when he's 22  rather than 23 ( similar to Hutton) we  would sign him to a bridge contract earlier.

If he turns out to be another Horvat than we could easily sign him to a longer contract way past his first UFA  status at 26 anyway.

On the flip side there's no guaranty he would sign in the summer, so I'm glad management got it done for him.

It shows loyalty to the player by saving him and year of ELC and I'm betting that loyalty will pay off when his ELC expires, and he signs a deal that works for both sides.

Oh yeah, doesn't hurt tickets sales either!

5 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

If I read this right the main issue is that his UFA status is at 26 now rather than a year later at 27 if he signed in the summer. 

Signing him now just means that when he's 22  rather than 23 ( similar to Hutton) we  would sign him to a bridge contract earlier.

If he turns out to be another Horvat than we could easily sign him to a longer contract way past his first UFA  status at 26 anyway.

On the flip side there's no guaranty he would sign in the summer, so I'm glad management got it done for him.

It shows loyalty to the player by saving him and year of ELC and I'm betting that loyalty will pay off when his ELC expires, and he signs a deal that works for both sides.

Oh yeah, doesn't hurt tickets sales either!

He will be UFA at 27. It is age 27 or 7 seasons, whichever occurs first. Brock is 20 so it will be UFA at 27 no matter what.

I was just using 26 as an example of where you would perhaps want to sign him to that long term contract.

Note: if he signed this deal last year he would be a free agent at 26.

3 hours ago, bohoforpresident said:

Definitely prefer the rock references over the acdc references for Brock boeser. Acdc only has one drum beat FFS. 

Also botchford.. if you're reading this.. if I ever see you I'm going to have to beat you up. Completely personal. 

Brock and roll hootchie coo.

36 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Not enough love for Boucher here. That wicked shot on one of his goals was sublime. I think we managed to snag a pretty good player who just needs a chance to prove that he belongs. 

Shhhhhhh....don't tell anyone, the ED is coming...

2 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Good god almighty this team has self-destruct built into it's DNA

It looks like Alf could be right about Brock, he could be the real thing after all,

So why?.....WHY? did they feel it necessary to sacrifice the team's draft position, by bringing him in with nothing left to play for?

This is the ultimate Canuck move, I'm actually expecting us to go on a win-streak that takes us from top 5 to 11-12 in the draft. I have seen this movie before

Then next year we will play .500 WITH Brock scoring 30 and we will have wasted our prime drafting years.

This won't work because a cup team NEEDS 2 star centers and almost always needs a #1 D-man, that's the bottom line, no 2 star centers? NO CUP

We may make the playoffs a few times in the upcoming era but we will NEVER win a cup unless we address that need, and the ONLY WAY to address that need is through the draft. Expecting to get a star center or #1 any other way is like saying you've taken care of your retirement through buying lottery tickets. This team 

It may be a good 15 years before we are in striking distance of the types of players that we need, the last time we were there (Not including the last two botched drafts) was 1999, when we got the Sedins, think about it.

The question is rhetorical because I know Aqua wants him here to showcase for us season ticket holder, he's playing for renewals that it. But every goal he scores between now and the end of the year is further driving this team away from the Cup it will probably never win,

So you think that the team should be purposely preventing Brock from reaching his potential?

I hate this fan base sometimes.

1 minute ago, the_impersonator13 said:

He's too busy letting in all the refugees :)

or getting rid of Canada Savings Bonds and selling our infrastructure to foreigners at 8% interest...what about selling to Canadians (Canada Savings Bonds at 8%)...good debt; he's a dumb$ss.

42 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Not enough love for Boucher here. That wicked shot on one of his goals was sublime. I think we managed to snag a pretty good player who just needs a chance to prove that he belongs. 

Too true. A lot of keyboard warriors are hijacking this thread by arguing about Willie   D. I saw a great game today with a lot of hopefull signs.

Why crap all over this thread with the bickering.

Lets talk about Boucher's awesome shot, Brock's excellent debut and Bo's assumption of the leadership mantle.

Ffs get happy people!

Archived