The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames Sign College FA Josh Healey

I was hoping the Canucks could sign this guy, though the Alberta teams had the inside track I suppose.

The Calgary Flames have signed free agent college defenceman Josh Healey to a two-year, entry-level deal, the team announced Saturday.

Healey, an Edmonton native, has spent the past four seasons playing in the NCAA for the Ohio State Buckeyes. The 22-year-old has scored 12 goals and and 60 points in 133 games during that span, to go along with a plus-27 rating.

The six-foot, 196-lb. left-handed shooter also has a tough side to him, accumulating 212 penalty minutes during his college career.

His contract with the Flames will start in the 2017-18 season, but Healey will report to the organization’s AHL affiliate in Stockton, Calif., later this week on an amateur try-out.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-closing-deal-college-defenceman-josh-healy/

49 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hoping for Neal Pionk.

He should be the main college free agent target.

DeNiro

• Canucks Hall-of-Famer
  • DeNiro

Didn't Benning say he wanted to go after another top college free agent D-man like Stecher?

"Only player available that makes sense to me is Brickley. He has the highest chance of being an NHLer from the looks of it."

Cool story DeNiro.

Brickley is the only player/defenseman that makes sense, best chance of being an NHLer!

Scratch that.

Pionk should be the main college free agent defenseman target!

Keep pretending you know - in this case, who the one worthwhile target is.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

DeNiro

• Canucks Hall-of-Famer
  • DeNiro

Didn't Benning say he wanted to go after another top college free agent D-man like Stecher?

"Only player available that makes sense to me is Brickley. He has the highest chance of being an NHLer from the looks of it."

Cool story DeNiro.

Brickley is the only player/defenseman that makes sense, best chance of being an NHLer!

Scratch that.

Pionk should be the main college free agent defenseman target!

Keep pretending you know - in this case, who the one worthwhile target is.

Try and keep up old man.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2017/3/13/14912888/daniel-brickley-nhl-free-agent-returning-to-minnesota-state 

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Like I said DeNiro - cool story.

The one guy that made sense.....ooops, no-go....there's a new one guy that makes sense!

Keep talking through your hat hollywood.

The best target isn't available anymore so you go to the next best target, yes. What's so hard to understand?

Thought you were smarter than that.

Just now, DeNiro said:

The best target isn't available anymore so you go to the next best target, yes. What's so hard to understand?

Thought you were smarter than that.

Weak logic son.

There's only one guy that makes sense!  

Oops - not gonna happen.  Let me find another only one guy that makes sense.  So you didn't know what you were talking about the first time, the second time - or both times.

I'll go with the latter.

Laughed when I read the first comment about Brickley - not surprised you're now here 're-educating' everyone.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Hoping for Neal Pionk.

He should be the main college free agent target.

Pionk is a good prospect too, of course. But with NCAA free agents I try to narrow the field down to players we might look attractive to, since they can go anywhere they want. Players from Western Canada, and BC in particular would naturally rest high upon that kind of list hence my interest in Healey and Spencer Foo this year, and Troy Stecher last. Of course that Stecher also appeared to be the BPA was the icing on the cake in last year's scenario.

1 minute ago, Salmonberries said:

Pionk is a good prospect too, of course. But with NCAA free agents I try to narrow the field down to players we might look attractive to, since they can go anywhere they want. Players from Western Canada, and BC in particular would naturally rest high upon that kind of list hence my interest in Healey and Spencer Foo this year, and Troy Stecher last. Of course that Stecher also appeared to be the BPA was the icing on the cake in last year's scenario.

You never know what he's thinking. We have a pretty good track record with college D-men lately. Plus if we end up trading one of our D-men like Benning was hinting at, there may be an opportunity.

The one in we have with Pionk is that he was a former teammate of Boeser's and a fellow Minnesotan. Maybe a long shot but worth exploring at least.

1 hour ago, Salmonberries said:

I was hoping the Canucks could sign this guy, though the Alberta teams had the inside track I suppose.

The Calgary Flames have signed free agent college defenceman Josh Healey to a two-year, entry-level deal, the team announced Saturday.

Healey, an Edmonton native, has spent the past four seasons playing in the NCAA for the Ohio State Buckeyes. The 22-year-old has scored 12 goals and and 60 points in 133 games during that span, to go along with a plus-27 rating.

The six-foot, 196-lb. left-handed shooter also has a tough side to him, accumulating 212 penalty minutes during his college career.

His contract with the Flames will start in the 2017-18 season, but Healey will report to the organization’s AHL affiliate in Stockton, Calif., later this week on an amateur try-out.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-closing-deal-college-defenceman-josh-healy/

Interesting - they appear to be at the 50 contract mark presently (? looks that way on NHLnumbers) - perhaps this is how they've managed to circumvent the limit and get him signed (for next year, while having him "try out" for the remainder of this year)?

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Interesting - they appear to be at the 50 contract mark presently (? looks that way on NHLnumbers) - perhaps this is how they've managed to circumvent the limit and get him signed (for next year, while having him "try out" for the remainder of this year)?

Hmm. That's probably the way they would have preferred to do it anyway, but good for them I guess. They got an excellent prospect for nothing.

I wonder if we have any interset in Healey'd teammate Schilkey? I saw a lot of Ohio State last year and the year before when I had BIg Ten Network on my cable package and Nick Schilkey may be a little guy but he was noticeable on the ice and a factor on the score sheet practically every night. Two year captain, 27 goals in around 34 games this year. A Reid Boucher sized righty rw.

13 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Hmm. That's probably the way they would have preferred to do it anyway, but good for them I guess. They got an excellent prospect for nothing.

I wonder if we have any interset in Healey'd teammate Schilkey? I saw a lot of Ohio State last year and the year before when I had BIg Ten Network on my cable package and Nick Schilkey may be a little guy but he was noticeable on the ice and a factor on the score sheet practically every night. Two year captain, 27 goals in around 34 games this year. A Reid Boucher sized righty rw.

They sound a bit like the Royals.

Their (Ohio State's) other top scorer, Mason Jobst, is 5'7" and 152lbs.  The Royals have the Flames' pick Matt Phillips and Dante Hanoun who weighs in close to Jobst.

If Calgary did sign Schilkey they could potentially ice the smallest line in NHL history in the future - Gaudreau, Phillips, Schilkey.  A Tryamkin Gudbranson pairing could potentially outweigh a forward line.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Weak logic son.

Oops - not gonna happen.  Let me find another only one guy that makes sense.  So you didn't know what you were talking about the first time, the second time - or both times.

I'll go with the latter.

Laughed when I read the first comment about Brickley - not surprised you're now here 're-educating' everyone.

There are contract spots to be considered as well. Maybe Deniro thought that the Canucks only afford to sign one college free agent. Either way who cares, its such a silly reason to spaz out on someone.

2 hours ago, Toews said:

There are contract spots to be considered as well. Maybe Deniro thought that the Canucks only afford to sign one college free agent. Either way who cares, its such a silly reason to spaz out on someone.

oldnews doesn't need a reason, just the opportunity. 

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

48/50 on cap friendly, so looks like there's space for him 

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

Weak logic son.

I'll go with the latter.

No one on here want's your negativity and bulling tactics of putting everyone down. Everything you say is meant to put others down, it's disgusting and people are sick of it.

If the mods were doing their job, you would have been banned along time ago. They just need to read all the negativity you bring against others. 

Mods, its time to do your job and ban this bully poster!

4 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

No one on here want's your negativity and bulling tactics of putting everyone down. Everything you say is meant to put others down, it's disgusting and people are sick of it.

If the mods were doing their job, you would have been banned along time ago. They just need to read all the negativity you bring against others. 

Mods, its time to do your job and ban this bully poster!

Absolutely this. +1 when I replenish. The guy has 32,000 negative posts. You would think he has been here forever but that's not the case.

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Absolutely this. +1 when I replenish. The guy has 32,000 negative posts. You would think he has been here forever but that's not the case.

His posse will be around shortly to defend him. Together they gang up to bully and harass posters. I am assuming they are kids because I don't think a grown man would hurl insults because someone expressed the opinion that Brandon Sutter was overpaid.

Archived