The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks interested in Darren Radysh

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I think some of those are sliding contracts. If I recall, we're 'officially' at 47 presently.

A bunch of fringe guys aren't likely to be back next year either.

49 according to CapFriendly - they already account for players in juniors.  There are 51 contracts this season with Brisebois and Juolevi but they don't count.

11 minutes ago, mll said:

49 according to CapFriendly - they already account for players in juniors.  There are 51 contracts this season with Brisebois and Juolevi but they don't count.

Thanks, must have been 47 before Molino etc. Memory's not what it used to be :lol:

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

I think some of those are sliding contracts. If I recall, we're 'officially' at 47 presently.

A bunch of fringe guys aren't likely to be back next year either.

With Chatfield and MacEwen contracts kicking in next year and Joulevi and Brisebois on slid we are still sitting at 49 players under contract for this year. With the recent signings of Boeser, Molino and Shore we used up whatever extra contract spots we had. Hopefully some of our UFA's are left to walk (Larsson) and even some of our RFA's that don't have the upside once seen, Chaput, Zalewski and Nilsson

On 2017-03-25 at 6:51 PM, morrissex95 said:

Can't believe this guy didn't get drafted.

Lock 'em up JB 

You can't believe a guy you've never heard of never got drafted based on your glance of his junior stats?

yeah he must be the next Bure, sign him to whatever he wants, quick!

17 minutes ago, Davathor said:

You can't believe a guy you've never heard of never got drafted based on your glance of his junior stats?

yeah he must be the next Bure, sign him to whatever he wants, quick!

He's got the pedigree with his brother Taylor getting drafted in the 3rd round by the Lightning. 

It's not exactly a stretch that a team would take a flyer on him in the 7th round

Both Brandon Tanev and Chris Tanev were undrafted and they're both looking like bonafide NHL players. Not exactly as a stretch that someone would sign this guy to a "show-me" entry level deal. 

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

the fate of Carl Neill and Tate Olsen lies in this signing.

Yup. I can't figure out what the Canucks are doing with contracts at this point. It's like they're planning to let every RFA walk and fill Utica with marginal junior over-agers. 

It's too bad, because Olson looks like a solid gamble. 

24 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Yup. I can't figure out what the Canucks are doing with contracts at this point. It's like they're planning to let every RFA walk and fill Utica with marginal junior over-agers. 

I say relax. We're still in April. No sense in thinking we won't still sign some of those RFA's as a lot can happen between now and September. It's not like we're over 50 contracts at the moment. Perhaps there just won't be a lot of signings in free agency, we trade away a player or 2, loose a couple of contracts to free agency, and end up around the same.

I think too much focus is sometimes on how many contracts we have; yet, I'm pretty sure management's aware of it. Just saying. ;)

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I think if there's a "better" player out there, you try to upgrade as frequently and as often as you can. 

Meaning, if Raddysh is a better quality prospect, then you take him over Olson/Neil. 

Though with that being said, I like Neil and his chances of becoming a pro and making it to the NHL. 

Olson is still a long shot...

20 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Seems like he might have more upside than Olsen, pretty similar to Neill actually.

Not worried about contracts, I think we see some trades this summer and some guys walk.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:11 PM, The Lock said:

I say relax. We're still in April. No sense in thinking we won't still sign some of those RFA's as a lot can happen between now and September. It's not like we're over 50 contracts at the moment. Perhaps there just won't be a lot of signings in free agency, we trade away a player or 2, loose a couple of contracts to free agency, and end up around the same.

I think too much focus is sometimes on how many contracts we have; yet, I'm pretty sure management's aware of it. Just saying. ;)

The reason for all the 50 contract talks is... An NHL team can only have 50 standard player contracts on the books at any time. Right now we sit at 48, with 2 slide contracts and have to sign any CHL 2015 draft pick by June 1st or they will reenter this years draft. So if we want to retain Olson and Niell we don't have room for Raddysh or others and vise versa. Because we need to sign them before June 1st they will count against our contract cap this season, thus we cannot wait to see who resigns, who walks on July 1st. Best hope would be that we don't offer them a contract, they do not get re drafted and we offer them a contract to play in Utica, then a player contract with Canucks if they prove they are ready to make that jump

12 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

Because we need to sign them before June 1st they will count against our contract cap this season,

Not as I read the CBA. Clubs need to make their "Bona Fide Offer" of a contract before the rights expire. However, said contract need only "commence at the start of the next League Year." This is the terminology you see used in Article 8 of the CBA. 

So so as I read the CBA, Olson and Neill can be signed to 2017-18 effective contracts (which would only count against next year's 50 man limit), so long as the signing date on the contract is June 1st, 2017 or earlier.

A recent example would be Jordan Subban. Drafted in 2013. Signed on May 16th, 2015. And his contract commenced at the start of the 2015-16 season.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jordan-subban

Extending this to Olson/Neill, these players were drafted 2015. They would need to be signed by June 1st, 2017. And to 2017-18 effective contracts (which would count against the 2017-18 limit).

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not as I read the CBA. Clubs need to make their "Bona Fide Offer" of a contract before the rights expire. However, said contract need only "commence at the start of the next League Year." This is the terminology you see used in Article 8 of the CBA. 

So so as I read the CBA, Olson and Neill can be signed to 2017-18 effective contracts (which would only count against next year's 50 man limit), so long as the signing date on the contract is June 1st, 2017 or earlier.

A recent example would be Jordan Subban. Drafted in 2013. Signed on May 16th, 2015. And his contract commenced at the start of the 2015-16 season.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jordan-subban

Extending this to Olson/Neill, these players were drafted 2015. They would need to be signed by June 1st, 2017. And to 2017-18 effective contracts (which would count against the 2017-18 limit).

Thanks for the clarification. I'm sure 1 of these 2 is better than 1 or 2 of the current Utica horde of D they have with expiring contracts

Archived