The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

4 years later

Hortankin

4 years ago  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"We have a trade to announce. We think you're going to want to hear this. The NJD trade the #9 pick to the Vancouver Canucks for goaltender Cory Schnieder" 

The trade that sent shock waves through the NHL. The Canucks traded their goalie of the future for an unproven prospect!

Vancouver was after moving on from Luongo and about to pass the torch down to Cory, unfortunately Luongo had a terrible contract and MG could not move it, so he made a trade with the Devils and even turned down a "bigger" return from the Oilers (I want to discuss more about that potential Oiler trade, but Ill get to it later).to keep the up and coming star goalie out of the division.

So now we lost our goalie of the future, and also expect Luongo to play with a team that publicly moved on from him. Luongo was doing pretty well the next year but Torts had something against him and benched him in a game he was so eager to play that ultimately led to him being dealt to Florida for Matthias and Markstrom.

So we went from having the best goalie tandem in the league to the absolute worst in less than a year! That was very embarrassing and ultimately ended any chance of our 2011 core to get another crack. 

So to summarize

Luongo+Schnieder

For 

Markstrom+Matthias+Horvat

Man it was bad, we lost our elite tandem and got left with Lack, Markstrom, a prospect, and a bunch of disgruntled old core players (rightfully so). This team just fell right apart. 

4 years later Horvat is almost certainly our future captain and he is a very mature and very skilled player. Right now he is our only 20G scorer and I know that's not an outrageous number, he is still the best on the team. He is a Linden clone when it comes to his leadership and character and he will make guys want to play good because they will see how bad he wants that W. I am so proud to have Horvat and personally I would have happily gave them Shinkaruk while we were at it.

4 years ago though, I felt like throwing up when I heard Bettman announce that trade, now, I think I'd hug him, and trust me that's saying a lot.

Now about that potential Oiler trade. I never done the research but I think they were offering their 1st and a prospect (Eberle or Yakupov I believe) and their 1st was also higher than the Devils.

So idk if we would have gotten Horvat if we did that but what the Oilers wouldn't have gotten may be better for us?

If the Oilers got Schnieder they likely would have been a playoff team, no McDavid, no management change, no Hall trade. If I'm not mistaken no Draisitl either?

If I knew we would still take Horvat I'd take this deal any day of the week knowing now what I didn't know then. If we wernt taking Horvat I'm not so sure I'd do the trade.

Hug Gary Bettman! No Thanks...:blink:. Anyways I agree we could've got better for Schneider, but Horvat has been the best thing that's happened to us in a while. I wouldn't change a thing, if we had a chance to trade Schneider again. Horvat is a future captain for this team, and continues to improve day by day. He is a phenomenal player with skill, work ethic and dedication.

Horvat will be a stud for this team for years to come and I would do that trade again in a heartbeat knowing what we were getting.

The thought of maybe having Eberle and Horvat is pretty cool too but I'm happy with how everything turned out. Not having to face Schneider every time we see a division rival is also a bonus... not always easy to beat a guy that knows all your moves.

It's still pretty early to declare a victory.  Schneider is having an off year but he is one of the top goalies in the NHL.  I think Horvat will do great and be our next captain, and do a good job of it, but I expect Schneider to have had the better career when all is said and done.  He has already had two seasons with a sub-2.00 GAA.  That is beyond elite.  Horvat has more years left, though.

Also, I have no problem trading within the division if it brings us the best player.  We have to be better than 30 other teams to win the cup, including our own division.

Hard to declare a winner since both teams pretty much got what they wanted/needed.

All I can say is it's possible to find good goalies in this league, though. There are more NHL-calibre goalies than there are available positions in the NHL. Not necessarily all Schneider-quality,  but it is a fillable position.

It is next to impossible to find teams giving away Bo Horvats.

I am more than happy with the trade, having BO as a canuck is win win. Tell him hes not fast enough...hell put in the work and prove you wrong. his strengths are more defensive over offensive.... hell prove he can do both . His ceiling is a #2 center....with that type of drive im betting he surprises a few>

What's done is done and you can't go back and change it ... BUT..... If I could I would trade with Edmonton, pick Horvat at 7th OA and enjoy the fact that we also get a top prospect. We should not of got greedy asking for the 2nd (the rumoured plus) as well (a 4th or 5th maybe). The reason is simple, as was stated in the original post Edmonton doesn't get Connor or Leon and without them they would be a borderline wildcard team at best but still on the outside looking in. It doesn't matter that they have a great goalie, without a decent D corp (until this year) and scoring forwards they would be New Jersey all over again. Sorry but we would lose less games to them that way then how it turned out with getting the 2 studs they got (and Jesse P. as well).

"sent shockwaves through the nhl" is a bit much I think. 

I feel like a lot of people misinterpreted bettman's comment of "I think you're going to want to hear this one." that wasn't him saying to the world "whoa, this is a huge trade," it was him speaking directly to the fans in attendance at the draft, in new jersey, who had been booing him every time he approached the podium. 

The biggest winners were first Radim Vrbata and subsequently Loui Eriksson (and their respective agents). Had we got multiple pieces from EDM (a bonafide NHL winger plus the pick to grab Horvat anyways) I doubt we sign either Vrbata or Eriksson for the "desperation" contracts that they were (we would have been in a much better negotiation position and either been able to walk away or sign them for much cheaper)...so in my opinion, those 2 guys made out like bandits with Aquaman's millions.

2 minutes ago, tas said:

I feel like a lot of people misinterpreted bettman's comment of "I think you're going to want to hear this one." that wasn't him saying to the world "whoa, this is a huge trade," it was him speaking directly to the fans in attendance at the draft, in new jersey, who had been booing him every time he approached the podium. 

My take on it too...plus the fact that it was a huge NJ trade in front of the home crowd.

7 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Now about that potential Oiler trade. I never done the research but I think they were offering their 1st and a prospect (Eberle or Yakupov I believe) and their 1st was also higher than the Devils.

Eberle most certainly wasn't on the table, nor was Yakupov. Yakupov might not have done much since, but he was coming off a 31 point season (in 48 games, lockout year), and Eberle had already had two very solid years in Edmonton including a nearly point per game season in 2011/12 and then also 37 points in the lockout season. If Edmonton had offered either player and their 1st, we would have taken it.

What they did offer was their first and Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson. After an ok rookie year, MPS had a very down second year and a pretty marginal lockout season. He hasn't done a lot since apart from in the AHL and there was more than enough worry there that he wasn't the sweetener that would get us to trade a top flight goalie to a divisional rival.

So two spots different to still draft the player we want and keep our top player going back from moving to a rival. Well worth it.

The other parts are all hindsight, and maybe if we'd drafted someone else we still wouldn't be complaining. The Oilers pick, Nurse, hasn't done as much, but Ristolainen has been very good for Buffalo.

1 hour ago, tas said:

Yup. While it was unexpected for us to be trading Schneider instead of Luongo, it only really had an effect on Canucks fans.

You know who lost that trade? Mike Gillis. If he kept Schneider and was able to move Luongo he might have kept his job longer.  His play was for the future. Nice for nucks fans but not good for job security. He probably should have also let Shinky play a few NHL games in the year Torts almost had him on the team.

I think both sides are happy though :)

I personally would have been more curious as to what Columbus was willing to offer us the year prior...

I remember the CBJ beat reporter saying at the time that the Jackets had made a substantial offer but MG wanted to keep Schneider and trade Lou.

2 hours ago, combover said:

A good hockey  trade, both teams won.

At the time I thought Horvat was to be the Kesler replacement. Kesler was already known to have wanted to move on and Horvat was considered NHL ready.

Now lets hope Schnides can pull 4 or 5 more wins out for the Devils and help improve the Nucks draft position. The trade that keeps on giving::D.

Archived