Boucher-Gaunce-Dorsett

Chaput, Virtanen

Edler-Tanev

Gudbranson-Stetcher

Tryamkin-Hutton

Biega

Miller

Markstrom

This is assuming we resign Miller, Chaput, Boucher, Tryamkin, Gudbranson, and we lose Sbisa to Vegas. Another big deciding factor is how much Virtanen has progressed and whether or not he has a strong training camp / potential playoffs.

I would expose Eriksson. 

He was brought in with the specific intent of helping the Sedins prolong their stay in the top of the lineup.

It's been an unmitigated failure. 

Vegas will gladly take a former 30 goal scorer and his $6M cap hit. 

Boeser signed an ELC not a PTO so he is in our lineup for good, not going to Utica. What about Goldobin? Or any other up and coming player whom Benning might pick up between now and Sept.? 
Are you going to bump one of them just so you can justify your terrible signing in Eriksson which only delays the inevitable? 

Or do you offer him to Vegas and admit you made a mistake.

(rhetorical)

1 hour ago, darkpoet said:

I would expose Eriksson. 

He was brought in with the specific intent of helping the Sedins prolong their stay in the top of the lineup.

Boeser signed an ELC not a PTO so he is in our lineup for good, not going to Utica. What about Goldobin? Or any other up and coming player whom Benning might pick up between now and Sept.? 
Are you going to bump one of them just so you can justify your terrible signing in Eriksson which only delays the inevitable? 

(rhetorical)

Exposing Eriksson to Las Vegas is an interesting idea. A very smart move, dp.

I would expose Eriksson. 

(rhetorical)

I wish we had the option to expose Eriksson, unfortunately his No Move clause ties are hands on that...unless he waives for Vegas but I doubt that will happen.

4 minutes ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

I wish we had the option to expose Eriksson, unfortunately his No Move clause ties are hands on that...unless he waives for Vegas but I doubt that will happen.

Difficult but not impossible.
It will only get harder later, as he his NTC kicks in 2018-2019.

There's no harm in asking. Eriksson would likely be a top line winger in Vegas, whereas here, he's going to be moving all around the lineup for the next 5 years because he doesn't really fit anywhere. 

His contract is just awful. It was worth swinging for the fence to try and resurrect the Sedins, but $36,000,000 should have been enough (ya think!) no need to tie an anchor to your leg and jump into the lake. I digress.....

If I were Benning I'd at least explore the idea.... buying him out isn't even an option because we;re still paying Luongo for like the next 50 years 

13 minutes ago, the harry said:

Exposing Eriksson to Las Vegas is an interesting idea. A very smart move, dp.

As Spitfire said, it's not that cut and dry, but that doesn't mean it's not do-able. 

I would be honest with the guy and just say "hey... we gave you enough money to buy a small island because we needed a guy to re-fire the twins. We thought that was you, but it doesn't seem to be working. You can stay here, but we can't guarantee you a static role or otherwise promise consistent line-mates. Would you consider a move? Vegas presents an opportunity for you to be a top line player. And if Bettman has his way, they'll likely win a Stanley Cup in the next 2-3 years. Think it over... here's a cookie...."

If anything, you plant a seed. Maybe he doesn't agree to being left unprotected, but might agree to a trade somewhere else. 

I would expose Eriksson. 

(rhetorical)

I think because Eriksson is notorious for having bad starts to new teams we should think about seeing how the next couple years go before burning him at the stake. 

This year was bad, no doubt. But his mentorship to our young wingers and having his experience along with his balanced game is a huge plus for a rebuilding team. I can almost guarantee Loui will be playing with something to prove next season. 

14 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I think because Eriksson is notorious for having bad starts to new teams we should think about seeing how the next couple years go before burning him at the stake. 

This year was bad, no doubt. But his mentorship to our young wingers and having his experience along with his balanced game is a huge plus for a rebuilding team. I can almost guarantee Loui will be playing with something to prove next season. 

I thought about all that. There are smart people involved that will do the best they can with the situation I'm sure. It just worries me because after next year his NTC kicks in. Then things get even hairier if he's still around and still not doing much of anything.

He's "only" 31. Heck he's barely a year older than Edler. So there's gas left in the tank. 

Thing about gas though, if you leave it in the tank, it goes bad. We need this guy to crank his game up next year or find a way to move him. You can't rebuild a team with a guy on it earning that much, taking top line spots, and not contributing. 

2 hours ago, darkpoet said:

Debatable, and regardless, the Sedins are likely done in a year and certainly well before his contract is.  As well, in three years his contract changes to a limited NTC for the last two.  He's here for more than a Sedin plug-and-play.

Another year of the same, and possibly worse since this season we had a goaltender that stood on his head most nights to make this season falsly seem  better (yikes)than it should have been. 

A better/NHL  coach and a actual system will help but the talent is still just developing. 

Just hope  benning doesn't go spend a pile of cash and term on a 30+ year old ufa. 

I kind of hope that the Nucks stand pat this summer. I would like to see another season of Gubranson and Eriksson who without a doubt both performed miserably (injury to Gudbranson understood).

I think the Canucks lose Gaunce or Sbisa to draft and unless Benning drafts first overall I doubt we get an NHL ready player.

I don't think Nucks need to make any trades either as I think if Gidbranson and Eriksson have bounce back years and with more development with the young guys, I think the Canucks are in good shape.

I think Megna and Dorsett are probably gone/retire/minors and need to be replaced as well as one of Gaunce and Sbisa.

Baertchi/Horvat/Virtanen(Boeser)

Sedin/Sedin/Granlund

Goldobin/Sutter/Eriksson

Gaunce/Chaput/Grenier/Labate

Edler/Stetcher

Tryamkin/Gubranson

Hutton/Tanev 

Biega/Pedan

Markstrom/

The question marks are:

Who is taken in expansion. If Gaunce is taken and Virtanen stays in Utica and Dorsett is done then Nucks have to be worried about sandpaper upfront.

If Virtanen and Boeser and Eriksson all come ready to play and with Granlund playing so well, someone will get pushed down the lineup. This could be good or bad.

if Sbisa is taken in expansion then are Nucks deep enough on the left side of D'? Would OJ or Brisevois be ready? Personally I hope that OJ plays a year of men's in Europe next year, although as an OHL'er it may be NHL or London as only options.

If we luck out in the lottery with a top 2 pick does JB take the leftover between Hischer and Patrick or Vilardi if they like him or do they take one of the RD'd Liljegen or Makar?

I've heard people say that maybe only Patrick may be NHL ready from this draft, so I think entry draft affects next year's line up very little.

Subban: I hope he gets a shot

Bachman: what is he? Does he get taken in expansion? If not and a team in interested in Markstrim does JB take a high pick for Marky and re-sign Miller? Then roll with Miller/Bachman until Demko is ready?

44 minutes ago, combover said:

Another year of the same, and possibly worse since this season we had a goaltender that stood on his head most nights to make this season falsly seem  better (yikes)than it should have been. 

A better/NHL  coach and a actual system will help but the talent is still just developing. 

Just hope  benning doesn't go spend a pile of cash and term on a 30+ year old ufa. 

Yes'! Please JB no long term UFA's and no long term contract unless name is Horvat or by some bizarre trade Tavares or something equivalent.

10 minutes ago, Calvin's Dog said:

I think Megna and Dorsett are probably gone/retire/minors and need to be replaced as well as one of Gaunce and Sbisa.

Baertchi/Horvat/Virtanen(Boeser)

Sedin/Sedin/Granlund

Goldobin/Sutter/Eriksson

Gaunce/Chaput/Grenier/Labate

Edler/Stetcher

Tryamkin/Gubranson

Hutton/Tanev 

Biega/Pedan

Markstrom/

Like your lineup, & also hope they don't waste cap on summer FA's. Now's not the time.

After signing RFA's/depth, wonder how much cap this'll leave 'em with? Perhaps 3 or 4 mill?

Split the twins? EG: Daniel with Sutter & LE; Goldy with Hank & Granlund.

edit: Also have to consider Boucher. Kid's shot is elite.

23 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

What makes you think Rodin will want to come back to the Canucks?

And why do you think we're destined to trade Hutton? He has shown potential.

More importantly who was traded for Hutton? Seems like the more than likely trade landed us a more than likely player who more than likey can't make the Canucks or Comets.

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Like your lineup, & also hope they don't waste cap on summer FA's. Now's not the time.

After signing RFA's/depth, wonder how much cap this'll leave 'em with? Perhaps 3 or 4 mill?

Split the twins? EG: Daniel with Sutter & LE; Goldy with Hank & Granlund.

I was thinking the other wildcard is the Sedins.

I really don't think they retire and maybe splitting them up might be best.(?)

Danny is an underrated passer only because of Henrik.

With him in the left wing with Sutter (RHS) and say Virtanen (also RHS) could maybe have some potential.

Henrik maybe to the wing too? With Granlund at centre and LE both of whom had better two way play than HS (at least recently).

Sedins together on 2nd pp?

1 minute ago, Calvin's Dog said:

I was thinking the other wildcard is the Sedins.

I really don't think they retire and maybe splitting them up might be best.(?)

Danny is an underrated passer only because of Henrik.

With him in the left wing with Sutter (RHS) and say Virtanen (also RHS) could maybe have some potential.

Henrik maybe to the wing too? With Granlund at centre and LE both of whom had better two way play than HS (at least recently).

Sedins together on 2nd pp?

This all takes creativity & imagination. Would you mind coaching?

We are going to see 20 new faces between then from now.

Reallllly looking forward to this fall in Penticton.

Musical chair forward strategy.  Once the forwards are 3/4 figured out, expect the same for D.

We are going to have a very different looking team next year.

6 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

More importantly who was traded for Hutton? Seems like the more than likely trade landed us a more than likely player who more than likey can't make the Canucks or Comets.

Exactly.  You don't trade a young regular NHL player in a rebuild unless you're getting a young regular NHL player back. No point trading Hutton for draft picks. So what exactly did we get for him....

2 hours ago, Calvin's Dog said:

"Yes" to the rest of your post...  just have to ask why would we get rid of Dorsett?  

He is technically scoring more then guys like Boucher, Larsen, Gaunce, Chaput and Megna....  and he brings a defensive and physical presence.  

For me he is a great player to have on the Canucks (when healthy).

34 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yes on the rest of your long post...  just have to ask why would we get rid of Dorsett?  

He is technically scoring more then guys like Boucher, Larsen, Gaunce, Chaput and Megna....  and he brings a defensive and physical presence.  

For me he is a great player to have on the Canucks (when healthy).

I agree Dorsett is important to this club.

Main reason...SPECIAL TEAMS!

We have lost Hansen and Burrows. That means we have lost a serious amount of penalty killing and role players.

Most importantly Dorsett is a good penalty killer, he provides excellent energy on the 4th line, plays gritty and can agitate. He is the perfect guy to have.

I also think we really need Chaput to step up in a PK role. We need more than just 4C from him. Role players are key for 2017-18.

PK partners should be:

Dorsett Chaput

Sutter Eriksson

Bo Granlund

Here are my projected F lines (in order of approx TOI):

Baer. Horvat. Boeser (19 mins)

Granlund. Henrik. Goldobin (16 min)

Daniel. Sutter. Eriksson (16 min)

Boucher. Chaput. Dorsett (9 min)

Another important role player...

Boucher is not showing up much on 5v5 play (bit invisible) but has a great shot on him, I suggest he is a perfect 4th line guy that plays on PP1 with Bo, eg,

PP1: 

Baer    Bo   Boeser

Boucher     Stecher

PP2:

Daniel   Henrik   Granlund

Goldobin     Hutton

All of the above means that the twins are split up on 5v5 to compensate for their lack of speed and defense. But reunited on PP2. We also reduce their TOI to make the season more manageable. And we give the youth some serious TOI and PP time.

Finally, we really need to change the 3v3 OT teams. We should not use Sedins together and we should choose our fastest and best 200ft players. I'm thinking:

OT1

Bo Boeser Stecher

OT2

Granlund Baer Sbisa

OT3

Sutter Eriksson Hutton

OT4

Henrik Goldobin Edler

Archived