The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How many think Brock Boeser looks NHL ready?

*Buzzsaw*

Keep Brock Boeser up for the rest of the Season?  

366 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

I'd love for Bo to ask him to come and work out with him this off-season. Bo really works it in the summer between the gym and his power skating coach.

Boeser trains in the off-season with Parise, Suter, Oshie etc.  

He also plays in Da Beauty League - it's an off-season tournament that players use to train for their upcoming season.  It runs in July/August and a portion of the proceeds go to charity.  It's meant to be fun but it's fast paced and also includes NHLers such as Byfuglien, Backes, Bjugstad etc. 

7 hours ago, WestCoast5347 said:

I know I am surprised that he actually looked like a decent fit with Bo and Baer when he never had a practice. Will be interesting to see his improvements by seasons end.

I haven't been this excited about a prospect in the lineup since Bo's rookie year.

He has a great hockey IQ, like Bo, but is more talented then Bo. Match made in heaven, Bear is ok but he's the weak link on that line now.

56 minutes ago, mll said:

Boeser trains in the off-season with Parise, Suter, Oshie etc.  

He also plays in Da Beauty league - it's an off-season tournament that players use to train for their upcoming season.  It runs in July/August and a portion of the proceeds go to charity.  It's meant to be fun but it's fast paced and also includes NHLers such as Byfuglien, Backes, Bjugstad etc. 

I'd rather he spend time with Bo's skating coach than playing a fun tourney. She did wonders for Bo's skating just one off-season. As a matter of fact I'd love the Canucks to hire her for their training staff.

12 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I'd rather he spend time with Bo's skating coach than playing a fun tourney. She did wonders for Bo's skating just one off-season. As a matter of fact I'd love the Canucks to hire her for their training staff.

It's not just a fun tourney that's the point.  It's a training ground for them - they practice to be ready for the season - they don't just show up for the games.  

Parise for one is a guy that has impeccable work ethic.

29 minutes ago, Baggins said:

That would be a good call. If it would be possible on a regular basis to get these prospects skating improved, just by hiring a coach like her, there would be a massive improvement. Not just for Brock, but think there is loads of players with potential, for whom the skating is holding them back from reaching the top level.

No harm in playing him the rest of the year. Next year is a different animal 82 game grind and a lot of kids out of junior or college flatline around January.  Hope people don't have too high of expectations yet for him, let him develop.

18 minutes ago, mll said:

It's not just a fun tourney that's the point.  It's a training ground for them - they practice to be ready for the season - they don't just show up for the games.  

Parise for one is a guy that has impeccable work ethic.

I'm talking about improving his skating as opposed to just staying in shape. I've never seen anybody leap forward like Bo did in one off-season with that skating coach. It's great that Boeser skates in the off-season but is it actually improving his skating ability or just keeping him shape? There is a difference. The Sedins took several off-seasons to accomplish what Bo did in one. The Sedins strapped weights to their ankles and inline skated up hill. Then they'd jog back down the hill and skate back up again. Don't you think that would have a greater effect on the power of their stride than playing in a charity tourney?

Play him for the last stretch of games here, and see how he does. He should come into camp having a better idea of what the NHL "is all about." Hopefully he can challenge for a roster spot, but not a big deal if he is sent down to the AHL. From there, he would likely get the odd call up (similar to Nylander last year) and be ready to step into our top 6 full time in the next season.

3 hours ago, IbanezRG said:

This was such a good call by the Canucks, pop his cherry in the NHL now, build his confidence up, give him a summer of training, bring him back next year ready to go from day one without the "omg I'm a rookie lol" mindset.

That is exactly, what they are doing.

Once the season ends, he will know, what to expect once the next season starts, but also the training staff will know, what they have to work with for next season. They will be able to speak to Brock about which parts of his game, he needs to work on etc. And it will be easier for Brock to see the point, as he will have been up against NHL players.

With regards to the question about the NHL, I think, he is the first player since Bo that could slot straight into the team...

Difference between him and Virtanen... age.

Jake was only 18 where as Brock is 20. Huge difference for lots of people maturity wise.

7 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I'm talking about improving his skating as opposed to just staying in shape. I've never seen anybody leap forward like Bo did in one off-season with that skating coach. It's great that Boeser skates in the off-season but is it actually improving his skating ability or just keeping him shape? There is a difference. The Sedins took several off-seasons to accomplish what Bo did in one. The Sedins strapped weights to their ankles and inline skated up hill. Then they'd jog back down the hill and skate back up again. Don't you think that would have a greater effect on the power of their stride than playing in a charity tourney?

All these guys are constantly looking to improve - they too bring in external advisors.  It's not just about getting in shape.

The tourney is in the evening but training is during the day.

1 minute ago, mll said:

All these guys are constantly looking to improve - they too bring in external advisors.  It's not just about getting in shape.

Do you know if he's been working with a skating coach??? Most don't. They workout with trainers and they skate drills.

"Speed and confidence have transformed Horvat and raised his ceiling as a player. Southwestern, Ont.-based skating coaches Kathy McIlwain and Dwayne Blais have helped boost Horvat’s explosiveness and quickness over short distances."

“At this level, if you don’t push yourself to be a faster skater, a better skater, you’re going to be left behind,” Horvat said. “I really notice it this year. I really wanted to work on it.”

"The (speed) difference between the first time I saw him in Penticton and now is unbelievable," his head coach Willie Desjardins said. "I wouldn't have believed that was possible. I've talked to other players, who are good players, but maybe not quick, and said, 'You should talk to Horvat and see what he did."'

2 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

brock would be crazy to turn something like that down. bo should be doing that with all of the younger guys, because whatever he did is working-- going from 4th line to a bona fide all star. we can poke fun at the sedins for their decline, this that and the other, but that veteran leadership, you know bo's just eating all of it up. he's not even 22 yet and is like the #1 guy on this team, and thats where he wants to be, and thats where the rest of the younger guys, i hope, want to be

if brock, or any younger guy, who strives to be better, theres no guy better to follow than bo. the guy leads by example and makes guys around him better, and this team hasn't had a guy like that since henrik sedin in his prime. that's some company to be with, and it took henrik five seasons to reach 50+ points, while it only took bo three. i get it, different era, pre lock-out and all, but to kinda put things into perspective, we have a guy who can be a 100 point guy. i dont see brock being that kind of player, but he can certainly be a consistent scoring threat, at least from what i've seen. i haven't followed his entire career or anything

Sorry...but did you just say that Horvat has the potential to get 100 pts in a  season..?

13 minutes ago, theilluminati said:

Sorry...but did you just say that Horvat has the potential to get 100 pts in a  season..?

bo horvat could be any player he wants to be. i get that you (i don't even know who you are) want to be one of the many "realists" here, like get in line of people claiming that gimmick, but 50 points and climbing, in a write off season, as a 21 year old, is not beyond the realms of possibility

1 minute ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

bo horvat could be any player he wants to be. i get that you (i don't even know who you are) want to be one of the many "realists" here, like get in line of people claiming that gimmick, but 50 points and climbing, as a 21 year old, is not beyond the realms of possibility

Being a realist is a gimmick? Then what are you exactly? The blind, kool-aid drinking homer who never see's the reality of a team or league?

10 minutes ago, theilluminati said:

Being a realist is a gimmick? Then what are you exactly? The blind, kool-aid drinking homer who never see's the reality of a team or league?

i saw the writing on the wall with this team in december. i've been ****ing on everything our coach has done since the start of the season, to when he was pretty much forced to put horvat in a more prominent role, then, lo and behold he starts producing, then quickly becomes an NHL all star. fancy that. you're like everyone else who wants to play that devils advocate kind of character, but try to mask it as "realism" no, no. from what i've seen from you so far, you're more pessimism than "realism"

maybe offer why you don't think horvat could be the next big thing on this team, only 3 years into the league, on a rebuilding team, with no real supporting cast, without an experienced coach, then maybe you'd be a "realist", but right now, you're just another guy who just says stuff to act "real" to fit in

Just now, Twilight Sparkle said:

i saw the writing on the wall with this team in december. i've been ****ing on everything our coach has done since the start of the season, to when he was pretty much forced to put horvat in a more prominent role, then, lo and behold he starts producing, then quickly becomes an NHL all star. fancy that. you're like everyone else who wants to play that devils advocate kind of character, but try to mask it as "realism" no, no. from what i've seen from you so far, you're more pessimism than "realism"

maybe offer why you don't think horvat could be the next big thing on this team, only 3 years into the league, on a rebuilding team, with no real supporting cast, without an experienced coach, then maybe you'd be a "realist", but right now, you're just another guy who just says stuff

Not sure what you're babbling about now...Horvat is a good player but to say he has 100pt potential when literally 2-3 guys in the entire league have that potential is beyond ludicrous...it took an all-star effort for him to get to 50+ and improve by 10+ points over last season...can't you just be happy watching him grow rather than immediately heaping more pressure on him after an all-star season, and yes, even your blind homerism of saying he has 100pt potential is pressure

6 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

maybe offer why you don't think horvat could be the next big thing on this team, only 3 years into the league, on a rebuilding team, with no real supporting cast, without an experienced coach, then maybe you'd be a "realist", but right now, you're just another guy who just says stuff to act "real" to fit in

That's one angry pony...

Archived