The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does $20.64 "living wage" solve the poverty in BC?

kurtzfan

36 minutes ago, King_Canuckian said:

It's been mentioned - higher wages means higher costs to businesses, who will:

a - lay people off

b - go out of business, or

c - charge more to the consumer

How anyone sees this "living wage" as a good thing needs to attend a business class.

3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Let's be real.

the majority of people are lazy.  

This statement applies to people's approach to work, education, personal hygiene, fitness/health, and relationships.

Whats the most I can get for the least amount of effort?

lifes hard.  Deal with it.

Why am I always out of plus 1s when these posts pop up. 

Well said fellas.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Nice. If the wife and I ever manage a way out of the greater Vancouver rat race to the island (where we'd FAR prefer to be), we'd love to have a little 1'ish acre hobby farm. Bee's required/included.

Poor little fella's are having a tough go (which is BAD for us humans).

0cb7d784470a15264248640aaa083f8b.jpg

Truthfully, the situation is probably understated.  

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Perhaps all those robots that will be taking our jobs can also pollinate our crops....? :wacko:

I remember reading some sci-fi a few years back that had robotic bees, but I can't remember what author it was.  I think they were called "biis", but I'm not sure.  Anyhow, science appears to be on it, just in case:

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-robot-bees-20170209-story.html

One day, gardeners might not just hear the buzz of bees among their flowers, but the whirr of robots, too. Scientists in Japan say they’ve managed to turn an unassuming drone into a remote-controlled pollinator by attaching horsehairs coated with a special, sticky gel to its underbelly.

The system, described in the journal Chem, is nowhere near ready to be sent to agricultural fields, but it could help pave the way to developing automated pollination techniques at a time when bee colonies are suffering precipitous declines.

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Robotic bees? No stingers?

1 minute ago, Kragar said:

I remember reading some sci-fi a few years back that had robotic bees, but I can't remember what author it was.  I think they were called "biis", but I'm not sure.  Anyhow, science appears to be on it, just in case:

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-robot-bees-20170209-story.html

I was joking completely. Can't believe it's actually in the works.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

I was joking completely. Can't believe it's actually in the works.

Why fix the problem of killing of all the bees with our careless and reckless use of chemicals when we can JUST ROBOT OUR WAY OUT OF THE PROBLEM? !

15 hours ago, riffraff said:

Let's be real.

the majority of people are lazy.  

This statement applies to people's approach to work, education, personal hygiene, fitness/health, and relationships.

Whats the most I can get for the least amount of effort?

lifes hard.  Deal with it.

Couldn't agree more. We're seeing the direct result of generation: participation. 

"There are two groups of people winners and losers, you may not win everything, you may not lose everything... but you'll never find out what the &^@# you're good at if they &^@#ing tell you you're good at everything"

4 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Couldn't agree more. We're seeing the direct result of generation: participation. 

"There are two groups of people winners and losers, you may not win everything, you may not lose everything... but you'll never find out what the &^@# you're good at if they &^@#ing tell you you're good at everything"

Every statistic shows that the younger generations work harder and for less pay than their parents. 

13 hours ago, J.R. said:

Why fix the problem of killing of all the bees with our careless and reckless use of chemicals when we can JUST ROBOT OUR WAY OUT OF THE PROBLEM? !

While I agree with the sentiment, at least there's a contingency plan if for some reason the real problem can't be solved in time.

Of course, the robots won't be able to make honey... that's a big loss in itself.  Definitely not a perfect plan.

17 minutes ago, taxi said:

Every statistic shows that the younger generations work harder and for less pay than their parents. 

I can honestly look at my own family 3 generation of farmers and state that is untrue.

Can anyone really look at their dad /grandparents and state they worked harder for less?  Maybe we are more efficient due to technology but in terms of effort not a chance.

47 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I can honestly look at my own family 3 generation of farmers and state that is untrue.

Can anyone really look at their dad /grandparents and state they worked harder for less?  Maybe we are more efficient due to technology but in terms of effort not a chance.

Grandparents maybe, depending on their individual circumstances. Parents not so much. In terms of effort, once again it's statically shown that baby boomers work far fewer hours and are far less productive in those hours than the younger generations. Meanwhile wages, for young people especially, are far lower once adjusted for cost of living.

If your grandfather was a farmer in the great depression, I'd agree with you. That certainly does not describe the average baby boomer though.

4 minutes ago, taxi said:

Grandparents maybe, depending on their individual circumstances. Parents not so much. In terms of effort, once again it's statically shown that baby boomers work far fewer hours and are far less productive in those hours than the younger generations. Meanwhile wages, for young people especially, are far lower once adjusted for cost of living.

If your grandfather was a farmer in the great depression, I'd agree with you. That certainly does not describe the average baby boomer though.

I'd be interested to see how that's measured.  Given the number of work hours spent surfing or playing with phones, I struggle to see better productivity from younger workers.  Part of it is attitude.  And, of course I don't mean to imply any generalizations, because I do see some hard working younger people at work.

1 hour ago, taxi said:

In terms of today, baby boomers are now 50+ i sure hope they've worked there way up to working less hours now.  But when baby boomers were in their 15-30's they worked way harder than this generation. 

Productivity is not a tell sign for hard work. 

I used to cut my far grandparents acreage grass with a push law mower and it took me 3 hours. 

My cousins now cut it on the ride mower and it takes them 40 minutes.

I have a vac to suck the grain out of the bottom of bins, which is all made with concrete now..  My dad only had a shovel on a wooden bin floor.  

I get to sit on a air seeder with auto steer. My dad did not.

Statics are meaningless for hard work, as level of effort is an impossible stat to try and measure. 

5 hours ago, taxi said:

lol work harder? you have millenials working as f---ing coffee baristas complaining that they should be getting paid enough to afford a house in Vancouver.

Younger generations are whiners and completely delusional.

4 hours ago, taxi said:

What if they were loggers? Hand falling or axe chopping? Now it's all processor. What about mining with carts full of ore instead of modern day shovels and haul trucks. 

But I will say that inflation is much greater so even though I make fantastic money, it stretches a &^@# of a lot less than it did 25-50 years ago. So you're right about there. 

Archived