The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Miller is the Canucks nominee for Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy

-Vintage Canuck-

The award is for preservation, sportsmanship and dedication to the game. 

Miller is still very much at or near the top of his game as a 36 year old goalie so he is a deserving nominee for this team.

4 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

why?

Because he has played in roughly 140% of the games this season. Grinding out solid goaltending night after night behind a defence that regularly gives up 40 shots.

There is something to be said for a goalie that plays each game like it matters. I'm ok with this nomination.  

4 minutes ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Really?

I dont know to me this award is for someone who overcame something like 

Jose Theodore Washington Capitals Had his best season since 2001–02 following his son Chase's death in 2009 from complications stemming from his premature birth.
Steve Sullivan Nashville Predators

Played 41 games this season after missing nearly two years due to a fragmented disc in his back, and a strained groin.[41]\

Jason Blake Toronto Maple Leafs

Despite his diagnosis with chronic myelogenous leukemia, he played all 82 games of the season

Bryan Berard Chicago Blackhawks Overcame an injury that rendered him legally blind in one eye.[38]
  Josh Harding Minnesota Wild Earned a shutout in his first start after being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in the off-season, then missed 33 games before returning late in the season and starting five playoff games.

I guess every team needs to nominate someone.

Every team needs a nominee. And Miller makes sense for us.

Teams don't always have a guy who's come back from a serious injury or played through significant personal hardship.

I mean, look at the Kings, who've given trade deadline acquisition Jarome Iginla the nod for the Masterson.

Their reasoning:

Iginla spent 61 games of this season on the Colorado Avalanche - the worst team in the NHL - and never outwardly complained about the group's struggles. His teammates and coaches often praised how he pushed his 39-year-old body to compete every game and how he helped the Colorado's bevy of younger players.

https://www.nhl.com/kings/news/jarome-iginla-has-been-nominee-for-2017-bill-masterton-memorial-trophy/c-288051800

Yeah, so Iggy played most of the season for a really crappy team. And he didn't pout (at least "outwardly") or quit on his teammates. Talk about "perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey." :lol:

In my mind, it doesn't matter who the Canucks nominate because it's either going to be Craig Anderson or Craig Cunningham who wins it. Anderson because of how well he's dealt with his wife's cancer diagnosis and Cunningham for surviving his near fatal heart attack and his strength in recovering from that... Including induring a leg amputation. Only thing is, I'm not sure Cunningham is eligible for the Masterson or not because I'm not sure he played an NHL game this season.

Also, Bickell's story is pretty heart wrenching too with the MS diagnosis and all.

Just now, Neversummer said:

Masterton = most difficult award to find a recipient

Not especially. The unfortunate reality is in a league with as many players as the NHL, there's always going to somebody who has to overcome tremendous adversity and keep playing every year.

Or they go the Jagr/Dubnyk route and give it to a guy who's excelled despite the odds being stacked against them.

Millsy deserves to be nominated by the team because of how he's been standing on his head game in and game out to give our team a fighting chance and that's why in my books, he deserves to be nominated. Better players deserve to win it other than him but if he wins, he deserved it

Archived