The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks Sign NCAA FA Griffen Molino

Derp...

57 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Exactly.

I've said it before, but why did it take this organization over 40 years to start doing things this way?

We should have won a Cup by accident by now. 

Better late than never i suppose. 

I'll say this, in the 35 years I've been a fan of this team, I've never been this excited during a time they are losers. 

Buffalo and St. Louis say hi!

I'm glad datsyuk made me get a stiffy at the wings game with that goal. Now all these people can't stop staring #bonercity

Think cut fries from Burger King look sexy right about now.

Glad my parents made me a hockey player, according to all these bitties my kind are #sexyashell #betterbelieveit

I've been tryin to not give so much of a &^@# lately, and lemme tell ya... It's awesome

Idk what I'll do with myself if yoga pants get banned from schools. They're half the reason I go in the first place #truth #sorryimnotsorry

I was just asked if I wanted "rite rice" at the Japanese restaurant. No, but i would enjoy some "white rice" if you have any sir.

All couples out there... Don't fight over twitter. No one gives a flying &^@# about your problems.

Even though my sister is a little wench... She does make some bomb ass cupcakes.

This guy is golden HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (He was 17 or 18 when he posted these)

16 minutes ago, MaxLapierreAwesomeFace said:

I'm glad datsyuk made me get a stiffy at the wings game with that goal. Now all these people can't stop staring #bonercity

Think cut fries from Burger King look sexy right about now.

Glad my parents made me a hockey player, according to all these bitties my kind are #sexyashell #betterbelieveit

I've been tryin to not give so much of a &^@# lately, and lemme tell ya... It's awesome

Idk what I'll do with myself if yoga pants get banned from schools. They're half the reason I go in the first place #truth #sorryimnotsorry

I was just asked if I wanted "rite rice" at the Japanese restaurant. No, but i would enjoy some "white rice" if you have any sir.

All couples out there... Don't fight over twitter. No one gives a flying &^@# about your problems.

Even though my sister is a little wench... She does make some bomb ass cupcakes.

This guy is golden HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (He was 17 or 18 when he posted these)

lmao that yoga pants tweet::D

2 hours ago, theminister said:

The largest issue with pGPS, and Biech is aware of this, is that it doesn't factor inputs into the equation. It doesn't say why one member of a cohort is more successful than another. It treats them equally which is a fallacy. Translation is almost impossible to account for in a statistical model, at least with the tools freely available now. Context is everything.

For example, it only looks at data points like production but makes no account for skating or, as you point out, deployment and team depth. Gaudette, based on pGPS, looked bad in draft year with that metric because he was a 3C on a good team where he didn't get many opportunities. If he was on a lesser team he would have gotten more scoring chances and his numbers would skew up changing his rating.

The major fallacy wirh only looking at scoring numbers and production is that it treats the player differently. For example, on a good team a player may have 20 less points if pushed down the depth chart, or 20 more if playing up beside good line mates. The thing is... It's still the same player and the same quality of prospect. The player hasn't changed.

Those dang 140 character limits!

People can say what they want about our "rookie GM" but his track record so far is pretty notable.

Let's see just how notable...:

109 wins - 130 losses (to date).

That doesn't seem very notable at all.  Especially when you consider the fact that he took over a team that had won their division 5 out of the previous 6 years (and we spend to the cap every year). 

To compare.  Right now the Rangers are sitting 7th out of 8 in their conference - and they have a 46-26-4 record!  Under Benning, we are losing way more than we win.

Benning is far better than Nonis, but to pretend like he's going a great job is delusional.  We've been one of the worst teams in the NHL for years now, and it's only getting worse in the short term.  Today, everyone is praising Benning for getting some good players for Utica.  They are completely forgetting that Benning allowed Utica to have the worst talent imagneable for the first 3/4 of the season!  He's literally a year late - and everyone is praising that kind of incompetence.  He needed to be filling Utica up a year ago.  Literally a year ago.

It's going to take the better part of a decade to recover from what he's done.  He's putting together some phenomenal 3rd and 4th stringers (and 2nd or 3rd pairing D-men).  But, so what?  Those players take a great team and make them a champion.  The problem is that we don't have a great team to start with.  Our top-6 is horrendous.  And, until that changes, it's all just lipstick on a pig... 

21 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Let's see just how notable...:

109 wins - 130 losses (to date).

That doesn't seem very notable at all.  Especially when you consider the fact that he took over a team that had won their division 5 out of the previous 6 years (and we spend to the cap every year). 

To compare.  Right now the Rangers are sitting 7th out of 8 in their conference - and they have a 46-26-4 record!  Under Benning, we are losing way more than we win.

Benning is far better than Nonis, but to pretend like he's going a great job is delusional.  We've been one of the worst teams in the NHL for years now, and it's only getting worse in the short term.  Today, everyone is praising Benning for getting some good players for Utica.  They are completely forgetting that Benning allowed Utica to have the worst talent imagneable for the first 3/4 of the season!  He's literally a year late - and everyone is praising that kind of incompetence.  He needed to be filling Utica up a year ago.  Literally a year ago.

It's going to take the better part of a decade to recover from what he's done.  He's putting together some phenomenal 3rd and 4th stringers (and 2nd or 3rd pairing D-men).  But, so what?  Those players take a great team and make them a champion.  The problem is that we don't have a great team to start with.  Our top-6 is horrendous.  And, until that changes, it's all just lipstick on a pig... 

Wow thats a pretty harsh assessment. 

Can you explain in detail how you would have fixed all the Canucks issues faster than what JB is doing now? You even have the benefit of hindsight. But bare in mind you have to find trading partners and available players and you have to work with in the cap with the players who only wanted to get traded to certain franchises. 

If you can come up with a better result and a winning team I would very much like to see what YOU would have done?

3 hours ago, darkpoet said:

Exactly.

I've said it before, but why did it take this organization over 40 years to start doing things this way?

We should have won a Cup by accident by now. 

Better late than never i suppose. 

I'll say this, in the 35 years I've been a fan of this team, I've never been this excited during a time they are losers

Been a fan almost the same amount of time and I wholeheartedly agree!!! I would just like to see more size sooner than later - I know we have Guddy but I really think a lot of the Oilers success comes from Kass, Maroon and Lucic keeping guys honest around McDavid. If only the Sedins had this :( Bo Brock and Sven need some muscle behind them in the future :)

15 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Been a fan almost the same amount of time and I wholeheartedly agree!!! I would just like to see more size sooner than later - I know we have Guddy but I really think a lot of the Oilers success comes from Kass, Maroon and Lucic keeping guys honest around McDavid. If only the Sedins had this :( Bo Brock and Sven need some muscle behind them in the future :)

Virtanen is down to 213 lbs apparently but the kid hits like a truck. I see a lot of Raffi Torres in him (which is both bad and good) 

The Province had an article on him today. His game is coming around now. If he has a solid summer training then I see him pushing for a spot on the team. We sure could use his size/edge , as you said 

Archived