The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Tanev to Toronto for...

15 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Why trade a 27 year old dman away. That would be like trading the Sedins or Burrows away in 2008. Tanev is about to enter his prime and could be one of the most elite shutdown dmen in the league. Never gonna happen. Tanev is going to be part of the core going forward, period.

Hi Donald

I love Tanev, and will argue with Toronto fans until I am blue in the face about his value......but to be honest, he takes a pounding out there with his style of play and it shows in all his injury time off. What Toronto fans worry about mostly, and what I can't argue with, is his durability, and how long he will be able to endure the pounding he takes. I do not think he will be an elite defensive defenceman for much longer...he will be a solid #3 for some time, and that is nothing to sneeze at.......so either way it is ok, but I am inclined to move him now, before his NTC kicks in....

I think if Toronto gave us their 1st and Kapanen, and Nielsen for Tanev and Subban (I unfortunately do not believe Subban will ever be our defenceman on the big club)

not that he doesn't have talent!

20 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hi Donald

I love Tanev, and will argue with Toronto fans until I am blue in the face about his value......but to be honest, he takes a pounding out there with his style of play and it shows in all his injury time off. What Toronto fans worry about mostly, and what I can't argue with, is his durability, and how long he will be able to endure the pounding he takes. I do not think he will be an elite defensive defenceman for much longer...he will be a solid #3 for some time, and that is nothing to sneeze at.......so either way it is ok, but I am inclined to move him now, before his NTC kicks in....

I think if Toronto gave us their 1st and Kapanen, and Nielsen for Tanev and Subban (I unfortunately do not believe Subban will ever be our defenceman on the big club)

not that he doesn't have talent!

Tanev's durability and long-term future with the club is an issue. His durability is always a question and as he gets older his injuries will have a bigger effect on him. Also, Tanev is an asset that would be a bit long in the tooth by the time the Canucks start competing for playoff and Stanley Cup contention. Definitely trade him before his NTC kicks in.

I like that extra part you put in. Adding Nielsen on their side and Subban on ours would even out the value, as as it stands Tanev for Kapanen + TOR 1st looks like we are losing a bit in value.

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎28 at 9:33 AM, Toews said:

Although the value in this trade is pretty great. Kapanen is a legit prospect with top line potential. The 1st will be around 15th overall which should let us grab another decent prospect.

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎28 at 1:27 PM, kloubek said:

Not sure about Kapenen.  While offensively gifted, he isn't at all a big or forceful player and he's supposedly terribly inconsistent.  He may not even end up an NHL player at all at this rate.  Combined with a mid-round 1st, we might be giving up the better of that package.  (Too early to tell, of course).

Contrasting views on Kasperi Kapanen. The kid has offensive potential no doubt, but like all AHL players they struggle with consistency. He is a PPG player in the AHL, but another year will help round out his game. Who knows, maybe Virtanen and him can develop chemistry in Utica and bring that up to the big club the year after.

Consistent or not, the Canucks need more lottery tickets when it comes to prospects with 2nd line or 1st line scoring talent, and Kapanen is just that. A lottery ticket who has played well against men in the Finnish Elite League as 17 and 18 year old and is a PPG in his second AHL season as a 20 year old.

On 2017-03-28 at 1:37 AM, Blömqvist said:

Let me preface this trade by pointing out a few recent moments in Canuck history where management failed to act in time for the organization's best interests. 

Reveal hidden contents

#1. Before the 2011 Cup Run the Vancouver Canucks had arguably the best goalie in the league in Roberto Luongo and another very good goalie prospect in Cory Schneider. Schneider spent time in the NCAA and AHL honing his craft, and when he made the big club he was able to refine his game under the tutelage of Luongo and goalie coach Rollie Melanson. Schneider was ready to be a full-time goaltender. 

Then general manager Mike Gillis made a few trades on Trade Deadline 2011 to acquire forwards Max Lapierre and Chris Higgins, both of whom played key parts in the run to the finals later on that year. The team had depth in all three positions at forward, defense, and goaltending. What would have put the Canucks over the top was to trade the budding Schneider and possibly blue chip prospect Cody Hodgson for a 1st line impact forward. There was speculation -- mostly from fans -- that Philadelphia's Jeff Carter would have been a good fit for the Canucks and Schneider being a good fit for the Flyers' goaltending, but instead management decided to hold on to both Schneider and Hodgson. The Canucks then went on to and lost in Stanley Cup Finals to the Boston Bruins, scoring just 8 goals in 7 games.

That offseason, Philadelphia traded Jeff Carter to Columbus and Mike Richards to Los Angeles and signed UFA goalie Ilya Bryzgalov. The moves to bring in Bryzgalov became a gigantic flop, and the Flyers bought him out a few seasons after.

The following year at the trade deadline management traded Hodgson for Zack Kassian in a surprise move that shook the hockey community. Then at the 2013 NHL Draft management traded Schneider for the pick that became current Canuck Bo Horvat. Had management traded Schneider and possibly Hodgson for an impact forward like Jeff Carter would we have won the Stanley Cup that year with his extra scoring? We would definitely not have had Horvat, but what if we had our team's first Cup?

#2. In the summer of 2013 there were rumours that defenseman Alex Edler was on the trade block and that the Detroit Red Wings were interested in his services. The Canucks were transitioning out of the Vigneault-era and were just about to start the short-lived Tortorella era. Change was coming. Edler signed an extension to his previous contract, which now -- in addition to the pay raise -- included a full NTC that would come into effect July 1, 2013. The Canucks had an outrageous price for Edler: three or four pieces and one of those pieces had to be a 1st round pick. Detroit at the time had an excess in young forwards and had a need for a top defenseman. Had management not been outrageous with their asking price, it could be that the Canucks have Tatar or Nyquist along with Mantha on the roster today.

Current Canuck defenseman Chris Tanev has a modified NTC coming into effect this offseason, starting July 1, 2017 where he can submit a list of 8 teams where he can not be traded to. Tanev's high value as a premier shot suppressor and shutdown defenseman can bring in a very good return for this Canuck rebuild. With the expansion draft looming, the Canucks are looking like they will be losing a defenseman -- likely Luca Sbisa. Now Sbisa has improved his game and is a quality top-4 defensive defenseman. I propose that, instead of losing Sbisa to expansion, we protect him and trade Tanev for assets (plural) before his NTC kicks in. By trading Tanev to Toronto, the Canucks can get both quality and quantity of assets for the rebuild.

TOR: Tanev

VAN: Kapanen and a 1st Round Pick (likely between picks 16-20, assuming the Leafs make the playoffs)

Then at the 2017 NHL Entry Draft:

- With our 1st round pick select the best available centre (Patrick/Hischier/Vilardi/Mittelstadt/Glass/Pettersson)

- Trade the TOR 1st and CLB 2nd to move up and select defenseman Callan Foote

- With our 2nd round pick select goaltender Jake Oettinger

Reveal hidden contents

The Canucks get a lottery ticket in Kasperi Kapanen, who at the age of 20 and in his second AHL season has 43 points in 43 games. Kapanen was a highly rated Euro prospect in his draft year. Good hockey IQ, good vision, good playmaking ability, good shot, and a very fast skater. He's been used on the PK and late in games defending leads this season in the AHL, which speaks to him developing his defensive game and becoming a more complete player. Potential top-6 scoring winger down the road.

The Canucks also draft a right-handed defenseman in Callan Foote using the TOR 1st and the CLB 2nd to move up. A two-way defenseman with size, Foote put up 57 points in 71 games in the WHL. He has pedigree from his father and most importantly according to scouts he has "outstanding hockey sense" and already plays a consistent game as an 18 year old. Potential top-4 defenseman or better. Plus imagine having Foote, Tryamkin, and Gudbranson patrolling our blueline... oh and Foote plays for the Kelowna Rockets. If there's an unwritten rule in drafting it's to select forwards from London and defensemen from Kelowna.

With their 2nd round pick, the Canucks draft goaltender Jake Oettinger. A big goalie standing 6'4" and weighing 205 lbs, Oettinger is the starting goaltender for Boston University in the NCAA (Keller, McAvaoy, and Fabbro's team) and in 35 games he has a 2.11 GAA and 0.927 SV%. It's always good to have depth between the pipes and Oettinger could potentially be a more than capable starter down the road.

Lastly, and most importantly, the Canucks draft their future #1C or #2C in "whoever the heck is available at our pick lol"

Seems like quite a gamble we are taking.

Tanev is proven, kapanen isnt.

Foote is overrated and most likely wont pan out. He is regarded around the WHL by players and coaches as overrated. If it wasnt for his name he wouldnt be in the first round discussion. Also why would we draft another goalie? Demko seems to be panning out nicely, garteig we have as a long shot and Markstrom is young. I would rather take a gamble on a skilled forward or d man then a goalie. Our trouble is scoing goals not, not as much keeping pucks out.

On 2017-03-28 at 8:06 AM, Warhippy said:

2 reasons.  And a half

1.  By the time we're ready to compete again Tanev is on the wrong side of 30 and is now showing signs of frequent battering/injury.  Is not physical or putting up points and while solid will need a newer contract roughly the same time our most productive forwards and younger D will need contracts.  Not worth keeping that kind of risk when there are better cheaper options for us in house

2.  His NTC kicks in this year, might as well dangle him

2.5.  Callan Foote is a 6 foot 4 2016 pound defenceman that can skate damned well

I see Foote on a very consistent basis in Kelowna.  He's as solid a guy as you can find and at worst tops out as a 5-6 D-man and a 12-18 pick that becomes that at worst is a win.  Toronto right now NEEDS D and tanev fits their needs in every category.  Foote fits our needs for the future as well.  If anything it is Kapanen I would be wary of with our recent pick up of young wingers.

We could feasibly draft Makar, Foote, Oettinger/Hague  in the first 2 rounds and know without question 1 of them will become a bonafide full time NHL player but with his pedgiree size and skating ability Foote is a shoe in leaving Makar Oettinger/Hague as the question marks.

6 foot 4 2016 pounds, mobile solid skater, only increasing his point totals in every season he's ever played as well is better than a .5 PPG defenceman in playoff format games..  There's a reason coach Smith trusts him not only on the PK and PP but also happily double shifts him from a 5v5 to a 5v4 

I agree with everyone who suggests that the time to move Tanev is soon, even this summer.

It's not because the Nucks don't want him and it's not because they don't need him, it's because when the Nucks will need him most in 4 to 5 years for a cup run he will be all used up.

Not saying Nucks won't make playoffs before then, just saying they need to get deeper and better and some teams still need to set Chicago etc. before Canucks have a ligitamate chance to contend.

Also might be fair to Tanev to send him to a contender sooner as the guy plays with so much heart and sacrifice that you don't want him to do it all for a 20 to 30th spot team in the standings.

He is good now and if there is contender who is interested I say get assets!

On March 28, 2017 at 1:37 AM, Blömqvist said:

Let me preface this trade by pointing out a few recent moments in Canuck history where management failed to act in time for the organization's best interests. 

Reveal hidden contents

#1. Before the 2011 Cup Run the Vancouver Canucks had arguably the best goalie in the league in Roberto Luongo and another very good goalie prospect in Cory Schneider. Schneider spent time in the NCAA and AHL honing his craft, and when he made the big club he was able to refine his game under the tutelage of Luongo and goalie coach Rollie Melanson. Schneider was ready to be a full-time goaltender. 

Then general manager Mike Gillis made a few trades on Trade Deadline 2011 to acquire forwards Max Lapierre and Chris Higgins, both of whom played key parts in the run to the finals later on that year. The team had depth in all three positions at forward, defense, and goaltending. What would have put the Canucks over the top was to trade the budding Schneider and possibly blue chip prospect Cody Hodgson for a 1st line impact forward. There was speculation -- mostly from fans -- that Philadelphia's Jeff Carter would have been a good fit for the Canucks and Schneider being a good fit for the Flyers' goaltending, but instead management decided to hold on to both Schneider and Hodgson. The Canucks then went on to and lost in Stanley Cup Finals to the Boston Bruins, scoring just 8 goals in 7 games.

That offseason, Philadelphia traded Jeff Carter to Columbus and Mike Richards to Los Angeles and signed UFA goalie Ilya Bryzgalov. The moves to bring in Bryzgalov became a gigantic flop, and the Flyers bought him out a few seasons after.

The following year at the trade deadline management traded Hodgson for Zack Kassian in a surprise move that shook the hockey community. Then at the 2013 NHL Draft management traded Schneider for the pick that became current Canuck Bo Horvat. Had management traded Schneider and possibly Hodgson for an impact forward like Jeff Carter would we have won the Stanley Cup that year with his extra scoring? We would definitely not have had Horvat, but what if we had our team's first Cup?

#2. In the summer of 2013 there were rumours that defenseman Alex Edler was on the trade block and that the Detroit Red Wings were interested in his services. The Canucks were transitioning out of the Vigneault-era and were just about to start the short-lived Tortorella era. Change was coming. Edler signed an extension to his previous contract, which now -- in addition to the pay raise -- included a full NTC that would come into effect July 1, 2013. The Canucks had an outrageous price for Edler: three or four pieces and one of those pieces had to be a 1st round pick. Detroit at the time had an excess in young forwards and had a need for a top defenseman. Had management not been outrageous with their asking price, it could be that the Canucks have Tatar or Nyquist along with Mantha on the roster today.

Current Canuck defenseman Chris Tanev has a modified NTC coming into effect this offseason, starting July 1, 2017 where he can submit a list of 8 teams where he can not be traded to. Tanev's high value as a premier shot suppressor and shutdown defenseman can bring in a very good return for this Canuck rebuild. With the expansion draft looming, the Canucks are looking like they will be losing a defenseman -- likely Luca Sbisa. Now Sbisa has improved his game and is a quality top-4 defensive defenseman. I propose that, instead of losing Sbisa to expansion, we protect him and trade Tanev for assets (plural) before his NTC kicks in. By trading Tanev to Toronto, the Canucks can get both quality and quantity of assets for the rebuild.

VAN: Kapanen and a 1st Round Pick (likely between picks 16-20, assuming the Leafs make the playoffs)

- With our 1st round pick select the best available centre (Patrick/Hischier/Vilardi/Mittelstadt/Glass/Pettersson)

Reveal hidden contents

The Canucks get a lottery ticket in Kasperi Kapanen, who at the age of 20 and in his second AHL season has 43 points in 43 games. Kapanen was a highly rated Euro prospect in his draft year. Good hockey IQ, good vision, good playmaking ability, good shot, and a very fast skater. He's been used on the PK and late in games defending leads this season in the AHL, which speaks to him developing his defensive game and becoming a more complete player. Potential top-6 scoring winger down the road.

The Canucks also draft a right-handed defenseman in Callan Foote using the TOR 1st and the CLB 2nd to move up. A two-way defenseman with size, Foote put up 57 points in 71 games in the WHL. He has pedigree from his father and most importantly according to scouts he has "outstanding hockey sense" and already plays a consistent game as an 18 year old. Potential top-4 defenseman or better. Plus imagine having Foote, Tryamkin, and Gudbranson patrolling our blueline... oh and Foote plays for the Kelowna Rockets. If there's an unwritten rule in drafting it's to select forwards from London and defensemen from Kelowna.

With their 2nd round pick, the Canucks draft goaltender Jake Oettinger. A big goalie standing 6'4" and weighing 205 lbs, Oettinger is the starting goaltender for Boston University in the NCAA (Keller, McAvaoy, and Fabbro's team) and in 35 games he has a 2.11 GAA and 0.927 SV%. It's always good to have depth between the pipes and Oettinger could potentially be a more than capable starter down the road.

Lastly, and most importantly, the Canucks draft their future #1C or #2C in "whoever the heck is available at our pick lol"

I think thats fair value and a good trade for us. Its moves like this which will set us up big time in a few years. I have always thought Kasperi Kapanen has elite skill. Toronto needs stability on the back end and Tanev brings that. They are entering a win now window. We are rebuilding. A 1st round pick at 16-20 would land us another future impact player for our team. 

I think we should trade Edler and Tanev this summer for prospects and picks. 

Ice a young team next season, we will most likely loose a lot of games and finish near the bottom, draft a star franchise player at the 2018 draft.

Next season's D:

Tyramkin Stetcher

Hutton Gudbranson

Juolevi Biega

Larson/Subban 

Pedan 

On 3/28/2017 at 1:37 AM, Blömqvist said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Canucks lose huge in that deal

Buffalo 1st + Reinhart to Van for Hutton, Subban + Vancouver 1st

Vancouver drafts Petterson - or callan foote

Then sign Karl Alzner to whatever money he wants

Beartschi Horvat Boesser

Granlund Reinhart Ericksson

Sedin Sedin Goldobin

Dorsette Gaunce Boucher

expose sutter for draft (blasphemy!!!!!)

Alzner-Stetcher

Edler- Tryamkin

Sbisa Gudbranson

46 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Buffalo 1st + Reinhart to Van for Hutton, Subban + Vancouver 1st

Vancouver drafts Petterson - or callan foote

Then sign Karl Alzner to whatever money he wants

Beartschi Horvat Boesser

Granlund Reinhart Ericksson

Sedin Sedin Goldobin

Dorsette Gaunce Boucher

expose sutter for draft (blasphemy!!!!!)

Alzner-Stetcher

Edler- Tryamkin

Sbisa Gudbranson

No.  Sam Reinhart is having off ice "issues".  Let's wait to see if he turns his career around.  We might be throwing away assets on a problem.

6 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Just curious Alf

What issues?

He's being late to meetings.  1040 had on someone who said there has to be more than being 10 minutes late to a team meeting for Sam to be embarrassed by sitting on the bench for an entire game.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He's being late to meetings.  1040 had on someone who said there has to be more than being 10 minutes late to a team meeting for Sam to be embarrassed by sitting on the bench for an entire game.  

Yeah, kinda makes you wonder if true!

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yeah, kinda makes you wonder if true!

I never heard anything negative about Sam's off ice habits until this recent stuff.  He has taken a step back this season in his development, so maybe there's something actually going on.  I was on the get Sam bandwagon, but now I'm a bit leery.  

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I never heard anything negative about Sam's off ice habits until this recent stuff.  He has taken a step back this season in his development, so maybe there's something actually going on.  I was on the get Sam bandwagon, but now I'm a bit leery.  

Could be he just wants out. Or maybe he just slept in one morning. Either way, Buffalo isn't going to give him us easily. I do think we're going to move one of Tanev, Edler or Sbisa so we should see a good return on that no matter what. 

4 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Could be he just wants out. Or maybe he just slept in one morning. Either way, Buffalo isn't going to give him us easily. I do think we're going to move one of Tanev, Edler or Sbisa so we should see a good return on that no matter what. 

I'm hopeful JB moves one of those three, but I still wonder about Hutton being the one.  Maybe there is a plan to bring Juiolevi in next season, and he takes on Hutton's role?

On 3/28/2017 at 8:23 AM, timberz21 said:

IMO he's already in his prime, and shutdown defensemen's prime usually doesn't last very long.  What is also concerning to me, is the fact he never played more than 70 games in a year and missed another 30 games this year.  The way he sacrifices his body, I'm not sure he has much mileage left in him.

I'm not saying get rid of him, but if we can get a good return for him, I don't have a problem moving him.

I think we should trade him, but for future picks rather than for this upcoming draft.

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm hopeful JB moves one of those three, but I still wonder about Hutton being the one.  Maybe there is a plan to bring Juiolevi in next season, and he takes on Hutton's role?

could be, why not? Even if OJ splits duties with say Biega for 30 games thats much better than staying in the OHL. 

I was thinking Hutton as well but that was pre-youth movement. Its so hard to say tho, I think all 3 are being shopped so it will be a matter of who nets the best F. 

Archived