The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Griffen Molino | C/LW

stonecoldstevebernier

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

Sounds like Molino has picked up his game since playing with Cassels. I was impressed by his speed last year when he played those final games with us. I figured he might be able to be a good 4th line energy guy who could be effective on the PK due to his speed.

I would still like to see him get a chance. Once the deadline passes I would assume the chances Vanek and Burmi are here are less than 50%. I would waive burmi as it seems like he does not have the coaches trust.

Molino seems like reliable defensive player, I wonder how much C he has played in Utica this year?

Well only an hour later and you got your wish about Burmi lol 

In my mind this season is a lost cause for the playoffs now considering were 6th last in the league. Time to have auditions for roles and let young guys play through mistakes. Need to see what we have in guys on their last years of deals. Play Boucher, Cassels, Molino, Holm, Labate and Wiercoch and see if they can handle the game. If they can then flip some slightly more proven guys at the deadline.

• 2 months later...
On 2017-12-24 at 9:44 AM, RetroCanuck said:

Well only an hour later and you got your wish about Burmi lol 

In my mind this season is a lost cause for the playoffs now considering were 6th last in the league. Time to have auditions for roles and let young guys play through mistakes. Need to see what we have in guys on their last years of deals. Play Boucher, Cassels, Molino, Holm, Labate and Wiercoch and see if they can handle the game. If they can then flip some slightly more proven guys at the deadline.

Nope, it’s time to make sure Utica makes the playoffs and has a good, strong run.  Great experience for our young guys.

On 3/6/2018 at 12:19 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

How has Molino been this year? Has his potential as a bottom-6 energy player with blazing speed shone through? Does anyone think he deserves NHL games like last year?

Molino has a ton of speed but very little of anything else.  With the Comets in a free fall right now he is one of many that are being asked to do more than they are capable of.  The Comets have lost 7 of 8 and have been shutout in 3 of the last 5.  

4 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Molino has a ton of speed but very little of anything else.  With the Comets in a free fall right now he is one of many that are being asked to do more than they are capable of.  The Comets have lost 7 of 8 and have been shutout in 3 of the last 5.  

Doesn't sound like he'll get an NHL deal then, probably and AHL deal. 

23 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Doesn't sound like he'll get an NHL deal then, probably and AHL deal. 

Because of his speed, I think he's worth renewing again, even if it is just an AHL deal.

Put him out there to chase the puck with some skilled scorers and see what happens.

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Because of his speed, I think he's worth renewing again, even if it is just an AHL deal.

Put him out there to chase the puck with some skilled scorers and see what happens.

I don't know about playing him with skill players (Pettersson, etc.) but his speed was very impressive and could probably warrant a role in the bottom 6 at least temporarily at some point in the future.

31 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I don't know about playing him with skill players (Pettersson, etc.) but his speed was very impressive and could probably warrant a role in the bottom 6 at least temporarily at some point in the future.

Doesn't have to be Pettersson, just someone who's good at shooting loose pucks. Wondering how he might actually work with someone like Goldobin.

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Doesn't have to be Pettersson, just someone who's good at shooting loose pucks. Wondering how he might actually work with someone like Goldobin.

Goldobin plays very well with Boucher because they both see the ice and pass the puck accurately.  Molino has no discernible skills other than being fast. 

• 4 weeks later...

Molino reminds me of a forward version of Matt Bartkowski. Great skater, but once he has the puck on his stick he looks like he just doesn't know what to do with it. He can rush the puck up ice and gain zone entry but making a subsequent play is a challenge. Maybe he can go the Zalewski route and take an AHL deal for next season. Zalewski started his career in a similar fashion, got a couple NHL games out of college and then struggled to make things happen offensively in his first year with the Comets.

• 2 months later...

Man I thought for sure he'd be a regular 4th line guy here. Wish him the best, hopefully he can get on the NHL roster and ride that cup run they're about to have in Toronto. Hopefully Tanev can be enjoying that too while we make Nylander wait another few years for his big run :)

Archived