The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Call of Duty: World War II

Madness

There have been some leaks that this years call of duty is going back to World War II. Looks like it's legit. 

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/this-years-call-of-duty-reportedly-called-ww2/1100-6449012/

This year's Call of Duty game may be set in the Second World War, according to a new report.

The rumor first surfaced earlier in March, when YouTube channel The Family Video Gamers revealed supposed leaked marketing material that showed some World War II-themed box art. GameSpot has also heard the game will be set around that period.

Eurogamer has also corroborated the story, adding that "sources have confirmed" 2017's Call of Duty will indeed be titled WWII.

In a recent investors' call, Activision COO Thomas Tippl said the first-person shooter series would return this year with an entry that "will take Call of Duty back to its roots." The original Call of Duty, along with every entry in the franchise up until Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, was set in World War II.

"In 2017, Activision will take Call of Duty back to its roots and traditional combat will once again take center stage," Tippl said. "This is what our dedicated community of Call of Duty players and Sledgehammer Games, which has been developing this year's title, are the most excited about." Sledgehammer is the studio behind 2014's Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.

The decision to return to the Second World War may have been influenced by lower-than-expected sales for last year's future-set Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. We already knew sales were down significantly compared with the previous year's Black Ops III, though since Infinite Warfare was a new sub-brand--and not an established, recognisable name like Black Ops--it is a difficult comparison.

"t's clear that, for a portion of our audience, the space setting just didn't resonate," Tippl explained. "We have a passionate, experienced studio deeply committed to this direction, and despite the risks we saw, we believe it is important to consider the passions of our game teams in deciding what content to create.

Despite some fan criticism, we enjoyed the latest Call of Duty here at GameSpot. Critic Miguel Concepcion said it offers the franchise's "best story in years," with some moments "at least as memorable and moving as any deeds from … the series' heyday." Read more in our full Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare review.

http://kotaku.com/report-the-next-call-of-duty-is-call-of-duty-wwii-1793711681

Eurogamer sources have confirmed that a series of images leaked last week via YouTube are referencing this year’s entry in the long-running series, Call of Duty: WWII

YouTube channel TheFamilyVideoGamers received the images from an anonymous source last week. Both the email received and the images it contained were shown on a video on the YouTube channel.

The images depict what looks to be several poster concepts, along with four different steelbook case concepts. Eurogamer sources say these images relate to this year’s Call of Duty game, developed by Sledgehammer Games, the studio responsible for 2014's Advanced Warfare

During a financial call back in February, Activision told investors that last year’s game, Infinite Warfare, “didn’t resonate” with fans, saying that the next installment would return the franchise to its roots. The first three installments of Call of Duty were set during World War II.

Strikes me as an attempt to regain the online gaming crown. That said, the first War game I played was Medal of Honour Heroes II and that was set in WWII, so I can undestand the nostalgia.

15 minutes ago, Madness said:

I like the idea of going back to WWII. Boots on the ground. Hopefully it's more simple with less attachments, perks and kill streaks. I absolutely hate infinite warfare. It's easily the worst call of duty game in my opinion.

Infinite Warfare will be the only single player campaign I haven't finished for the call of duty franchise on the consoles.

15 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

I hoped they were going to with Vietnam but WW2 will work.  Vietnam is on the development cycle from what I hear,  Treyarch always out the best COD games imo. 

All the guns sound like crap in treyarch games and they all shoot the same

17 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

I like playing offline against AI. I dunno that's just me. Not a fan of playing online shooting games

Me too, I love the co-op campaign modes of shooter games. 

14 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

Just waiting for the MW2 remaster.

MW1 Remaster is going to get attachments from MW2 soon. MW remastered will eventually become the remastered trilogy.

Would love to be able to play MW2 on my XB1 though.

Archived