The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Dmitry Zhukenov bolting to KHL

Personally I think I'd rather keep him in North America if him going to the KHL is strictly a developmental move rather than him wanting to go back home. He has improved in his second year in juniors and is doing well in the playoffs again. I would think he has a shot at being a top 6 center for Utica. Pelletier, Valk, Hamilton, etc are probably going to be career AHLers, so why not develop one of our top center prospects in Utica instead? I'm more concerned he's in the NHL or KHL boat instead and that would be more of a concern, but I hope he tries another preseason here at the very least before wanting to leave.

On 3/29/2017 at 4:30 PM, canucklehead44 said:

Is he even good enough for the KHL? Undersized forward, now 20, barely puts up a point per game in the Q. There were actually a number of players I liked in that spot: Carrier, Bear, and Timashov. Interesting to see if any of the former turn into NHL players. 

I was Bullish on Bear myself!

13 hours ago, Butters Stoch said:

Oh well, he was a bit of long shot and would've needed a few years in the AHL anyways. The KHL would be a fine league for him to develop a bit more in. If he does light it up in the KHL, we can just try to convince him to come over like we did with Rodin.

There are a couple of major differences compared with the Rodin situation.

Rodin was signed by the Canucks and left after his entry level contract expired.  The Canucks had his NHL rights and retained them for for seasons after Rodin returned to Europe.  Zhukenov has never signed with the Canucks so all they have is the rights from the draft.  Those rights expire June 1, 2019-that is after 2 more seasons.

If his KHL contract is for 2 seasons or more, he'll be eligible to return to North America as an unrestricted free agent so the Canucks won't have exclusive North American rights.   KHL contracts run from June 1 to May 31 (though as we saw with Tryamkin sometimes a team will release a player early.)  If he signed for 2 seasons, he'd be eligible to return to North America the day he hits unrestricted free agency.

I suspect the Canucks aren't too heart broken.  With the free agent contracts just given to Zack MacEwen and Griffen Molino, perhaps the Canucks had already decided to go a different direction.  Zhukenov was still a prospect, but hadn't been exceptional in the QMJHL.  He has just completed his D + 2 season as Chicoutimi's 2nd line center, tied for 2nd in team scoring with a defenceman and well behind the team leader (another 2015 4th round pick who as well as scoring more was +30 to Zhukenov's -17.)  I thought it was an interesting question whether the Canuck would or wouldn't offer him an NHL contract. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-03-30 at 8:26 AM, Blue_Jays_Canucks said:

Well it's better to be an every day player in your home country and make a lot of money, than a minor league player in a foreign land making peanuts in comparison. I don't get why Russian players are criticized for going to the KHL.  In fact there's quite a few AHL Russian players who I'm surprised haven't left yet. 

No one is criticizing them, we just criticize the picks because 2 things one these players often use the KHL as a bargaining chip to get what they want, and 2, sure early on they will make more money but lose out in the chance at playing in the NHL and making more money.  As it stands he will make no more then 2 million in the k for the rest of his life.  That said some Russian players are coming back , burmistrov and radulov.

On 4/10/2017 at 9:12 AM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

No one is criticizing them, we just criticize the picks because 2 things one these players often use the KHL as a bargaining chip to get what they want, and 2, sure early on they will make more money but lose out in the chance at playing in the NHL and making more money.  As it stands he will make no more then 2 million in the k for the rest of his life.  That said some Russian players are coming back , burmistrov and radulov.

The thing is, you could criticize any pick if you expect that pick to do something similar. When it comes to draft time, we don't know that a player's going to bolt to the KHL, stay in the KHL, end up with attitude issues, become lazy in development, become a locker room mess, get tons of injuries, etc. There may be indications of things, but we never truly know until things happen. Hindsight makes it easy to criticize things, but that also can be a rather unfair way to criticize based on the fact that we really have no crystal ball that can tell us what the future will bring.

In that respect, I think it really then depends on how the criticism is being used. If it is being used to compare based on highsight, then that's fair and fine; however, if it's to create blame towards a player or a GM or coach or someone else, that can get rather silly at that point as, even the player may not have been thinking about what decisions they'll make come draft day. People change and we have to remember that.

When Tryamkin was drafted, he was in the KHL first and then came over, so things can go both ways.

Invite him to camp and discuss it there. He'll meet Tryamkin and Pedan. Plus young guy might be just a bit homesick too (remember Bure?) Show him some support invite his dad for the fathers tour or whatever. So Katy Perry is taking over for Sarah McLachlan now?

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Invite him to camp and discuss it there. He'll meet Tryamkin and Pedan. Plus young guy might be just a bit homesick too (remember Bure?) Show him some support invite his dad for the fathers tour or whatever. So Katy Perry is taking over for Sarah McLachlan now?

It's a money move, plain and simple.  He will make a lot more coin in the KHL than in the AHL.  He knows he needs to get bigger and stronger, so why not do the maturing making more money?  

Just now, Alflives said:

It's a money move, plain and simple.  He will make a lot more coin in the KHL than in the AHL.  He knows he needs to get bigger and stronger, so why not do the maturing making more money?  

When does the KHL start? Can he still make it to camp?

Archived