The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks' Team Toughness

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

Apologies if a similar thread has already been served up. But I'd like to see fan's assessments/analysis of what we should do here.

Watching Cal, Edm & Ana recently, it seems these teams have been built with plenty of grit, alongside their young skill. Likely the Desert Dawgs will be following suit.

Our division is looking (increasingly) that size & attitude will be required.

1) Do we have enough?

2 )Should we draft it? Summer-sign it? Trade for it? Or all of the above?

Lastly, might the pendulum swing the other way? Might the league try to phase out most of this sanctioned violence? Thought this was trending(a few yrs back), but it appears to be reverting back to old patterns.

• Upvote 4

We were most successful with Torres, and Lappy crashing and banging on the forcheck and that probably correlates with our success.

First of all no to drafting it. It's tough to judge if we have enough when 15 and 44 were out most of the season. Most of the toughness comes through Sbisa and there's a good chance he'll be gone. So long story short, no we probably don't 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

1) Do we have enough?

Canucks have zero toughness.  It is a major problem for our club.  It is critical we find some toughness on our top 6.  Virt are you reading this ?

We are in serious trouble if we do a rebuild with youth and no one to ride shotty for the kids.. How did that work out for the Oil stain ?

I would have loved to see Lucic or Kass on our current club.....   Oil have marron as well.

Who do we have that compares to any of these 3  ?  

2 )Should we draft it? Summer-sign it? Trade for it? Or all of the above?

We need to sign it as drafting a tough 18 yr old will not help us in the immediate future.  We needed to sign toughness up front but instead our brilliant GM signed Loui E the magician now famous for his disappearing act. 

and also passed on tkachuk and took Juolevi

• Upvote 1

Boeser, Horvat, Granlund, Baertschi, Boucher, Goldobin, Dahlen, Virtanen etc. Other than Virtanen, very soft group. Garrett last night was talking about how we lack the pushback other teams have. We get wacked, slashed, get pounced on and there's no pushback. Praised Labate for being the only one to show pushback CONSISTENTLY.

First and foremost, we need skill. We can get grit by signing gritty FA's or by acquiring them. But the lack of skill is an issue for us. We need to sort that problem before we can sort the size thing. The solution? Drafting skill over size. It's important we draft a high scoring forward this draft too. Other than Boeser and Horvat, we don't any bonafide, 1st line potential scoring forwards.

I do think moving forward, one of Baertschi, Granlund or Goldobin is going to get moved at some point. We can't have all similar players like them in the line-up. I'm gonna go on a limb and say Baertschi isn't a Canuck in 2 years.

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 4

We have Guddy, Tram, and Sbisa on defense. We're definitely up to par, if not above it there. On forward it's a bit more sparse with Cramarossa, Dorsett, and Skille if you count him.

I'm not terribly concerned with what we have, but a bit more on forward wouldn't hurt. Horvat plays a big and strong game and could probably handle himself in a scrum. If Virtanen can fix up his game at some point, he'd be a heavy force on the front lines and Gaunce could be a reliably strong 4th line guy (though not a fighter) who can hit and be physical. Both Labate and Mackenzie Stewart are longshot to earn a lasting spot on the team (though Labate is closer), but they both bring a lot of physicality as well.

• Upvote 1

Like a lot of these comments. Guessing the Van hockey market is rather tired of polite, finesse play, & Lindenning are well-aware.

Would be nice to see them build a gritty team like the '94 run. Not easy to assemble such a cast, assuming at least a dozen other GM's have a similar blueprint in mind.

Respect is deserving for our elite cast of the past decade, but I'd like to see a more hard-nosed identity, as our key kids develop into their prime. Would prefer more depth-roles being given to NA'n, bowling ball skaters.

1 hour ago, Zhukini said:

We were most successful with Torres, and Lappy crashing and banging on the forcheck and that probably correlates with our success.

First of all no to drafting it. It's tough to judge if we have enough when 15 and 44 were out most of the season. Most of the toughness comes through Sbisa and there's a good chance he'll be gone. So long story short, no we probably don't 

Torres disappeared after game three of the 2011 SCF and went on to shame the game with suspensions.

7 minutes ago, 6string said:

Torres disappeared after game three of the 2011 SCF and went on to shame the game with suspensions.

Really think losing Torres was a major mistake by our club's management.

Torres had that rare mix of super skill  / speed / and  toughness 

Hoping Virt can fill that role.  Interesting that Torres was a 5th overall pick.....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 1

1. Do we have enough? Its hard to tell, on defense, if we keep Gudbranson and Tryamkin, yeah that should be fine. Its everything else that bothers

me. We are imho a little soft with our forwards. We need intimidation factor with our forwards, and with the exception of Le bate I don't see anyone

other teams should really be worried about. We need Dorsett back, god I miss him, and we need another nasty piece of work to go with him. I really

believe that if JB traded 1 of Guddy or Tree we would be easily dominated, speed and skill or not.

2. Evander Kane

I think the reffing lately is showing that things are trending the opposite way in terms of violence in the sport. It is shocking how bad reffing is in todays NHL, its so bad on some nights your left without words, because things are so obviously biased, and so obviously un just, your left thinking that its a total clown shoes operation. You don't need even a passing knowledge of hockey to see what a shyt show the reffing is. Theres no way that even the reffs themselves don't think its a shyt show. They are akin to WWF reffs to me, they are just there to serve the narrative. Total jokes. Almost completely redundant, like the ads on the boards. Will be eventually replaced by drones.

Edited by Shirotashi
  • Upvote 1